Oriental lily

So I want to sew

Oriental lily
Posted (edited)

Hi all .for my upcoming birthday I want to learn to sew.mainly to make quilts/ soft furnishing ect . 

So where  to begin ? What's a good sewing machine for a novice ? I was looking at the singer heavy duty grey machine at spotlight for $300 VIP price ? Any good? Do i need a sewing table? Any good You tubers that I can learn from ? Books any good? Magazines? General tips?

Edited by Oriental lily
Typo

MooGuru

Folllwing as I also want to learn to sew

• Like 3

lizzybirdsworth

I am learning to sew. I have found good rotary cutter and mat are a must. Scissors I started with but rotary cutter is cleaner and quicker in cutting. And a good sewing ruler. You will still need good scissors. 
find if anyone is giving away scraps you can practice on. You tube is great and I also like Missouri quilt tutorial app on my phone. Good cotton and bobbins. 
I just have a singer heritage machine mum gave me. Only thing I don’t really like is it’s black and the lighting isn’t great so dh gave me a huge led lamp on an extender arm. 
I used to just use the kitchen table but it’s a pain packing and unpacking the machine and all my equipment and the cutting mats need to be kept flat not put up on their sides (not sure why. Mum just told me to do it haha)

lizzybirdsworth

I use fiskers classic stick rotary cutter in 45mm. You can sometimes get a little starter set. Oh and a good seam ripper and a spare. Mine always goes missing. 

Froggilicious

I’d avoid the spotlight singers. For a similar price I’d look at getting a Janome from a smaller retailer. They tend to be a more reliable machine and the after sale service is better. They often have great deals where you can get an overlocker too. 

id avoid fiskars cutters I favour of an Olfa. My fiskars has been rubbish. 

• Like 4

blackcat20

I have an Olfa mat and rotary cutter, they’re the best. A large quilting ruler will help you cut precisely too.

i taught myself to quilt years ago, most using patterns from magazines to start. There’s a lot more available on line these days, and YouTube can be really useful as well.

• Like 1

Lunafreya

YouTube is a great tool to learn to sew 

lizzzard
1 hour ago, lizzybirdsworth said:

Oh and a good seam ripper and a spare. Mine always goes missing. 

Definitely a must 🤣

FuzzyChocolateToes

I'd get a Janome over a Singer personally. And splash out on a pair of "good" scissors and never let anyone use them on anything other than fabric!

ContentedFleur

I have two machines; a Husqvarna Viking and an Elna. I bought the Elna from Spotlight in a sale, when my Husqie was off being serviced and I needed to make costumes for Book Week. Given how much effort it was to find somebody who could actually service the Husqvarna, I really strongly recommend getting a Janome or similar! Now that Husqie is serviced, she's running beautifully, and my Elna is sitting on the shelf waiting to be needed again. 

Definitely a proper quilting mat and a good rotary cutter; a supply of blades, because it is FRUSTRATING when the blade on the cutter becomes blunt and leaves three threads uncut; and I prefer glass headed pins, because they're easier for me to get a grip on and pull out. What else? Oh yes, only ever use good quality thread (Gutermans is fine) because otherwise the fluff will stuff up your machine. I also swear by my metal ruler, which I bought from Bunnings and which has inches on one side and cm/mm on the other. 

Were you wanting to mainly do quilting or dressmaking or both?

Oriental lily

Forgot to reply to you all .thanks everyone .

Ended up getting a janome DC2030 from a janome dealer .

Having heaps of fun with it .thank God for you tube lol .

Nearly finished my first quilt .a small lap sized one for my 2 year old .first mission is create a quilt for each of my 5 kids .fun creating themes that reflect their personalities .try and post a pic when it's finished .

• Like 5

triangle

Definitely agree with needing a mat and roller cutter, and the hard plastic measuring thing to cut straight lines, good scissors for fabric ONLY! My machine is only a basic one.

The other thing I find that really helps is to iron your fabric.  It goes against every part of me to iron lol BUT it makes my sewing so much nicer! 

My first few projects were rag quilts... I love them with flannel on top layer, and a 2nd +/- third layer, usually flannel but I've bought many discounted fabrics that have worked well for the inner layer. I am terrible at sewing in a straight line so the rag quilts are great to hide those imperfections! 

Chocolate Addict

I never use my rotary cutter lol It isnt suitable for most fabrics I use. I use fiskars scissors the ones without the top hole, spring loaded.

I do have a small cutting mat but mostly use my tressle table.  I never use a ruler but have been sewing for years and normally have a good eye for cutting.

I would be reluctant to buy sewing machines from Spotlight but that is just me. I only use industrial.

Etta

I have been sewing for 40 years. I still have my 35 year old Elna Contessa. I recently took it to get serviced and was quoted something like $150-$200. Someone else in the shop piped up and said 'you could buy one from Aldi for $100'. I fixed her with a glare and asked what I would then do with the one I already have? I was really p*ssed at the idea of a sewing machine being a disposable item because it is cheaper to buy a new one.

I have never used a cutting mat or a cutter. I don't even know what a cutter is. I have a pair of Good Scissors - if I caught anyone using them for anything non-fabric I would have to kill them. I don't quilt - I mainly sew clothes, mending, scarves for about 100 Scouts and, more recently, masks.

If I had to replace my machine I would go low tech and simple - and Elna or Janome. But I think my machine will last for ever.

CrankyM

A rotary cutter it great and metal ruler are great for quilting. I never ever use mine with making clothes... Good scissors are a must. I've yelled at my husband and demanded new ones after he used them on stuff that isn't fabric. Now I keep them locked in a box after going through another pair due to children.

Also I have a singer, but I believe I bought mine before the issues started coming up with the newer machines. I love mine and have had no issues with it.

Also a seam ripper (multiple are good) and a good iron. I loath ironing, but ironing seams is a must. It helps set them.

Wash your fabric before you make anything with it. It prevents issues with shrinkage and removes any excess dye and chemicals (I do the ends to prevent fraying then toss in the washing machine on the cycle that I would wash the end garment in)

If your machine takes plastic bobbins, for the love of god do not use anything but plastic ones in it. The same if it takes metal ones. I've had friends wreck their machines run due to this.

Edited by CrankyM