JomoMum

Woollen/knitted type jumpers that don’t pill?

JomoMum

I bought some lovely light and heavier weight jumpers from Target a month or so ago. I shouldnt be surprised that now every time I wear them, they pill like crazy and look terribly cheap and old ..

Am I better off trying more expensive brands? 

Id love something heavy that hangs rather than clings, but also just some casual ones for everyday wear around home, shops etc. 

got my tinsel on

Whether knitted garments pill depends on the yarn makeup.

Pure cotton - doesn't pill.

Pure wool - not likely to pill but will 'felt' a little where rubbing occurs.

Artificial yarns (nylon, polyester, acrylic)  will pill like crazy.  Artificial/wool blends will also pill.

So it's not necessarily how much you spend but what it's made from that matters.

• Like 3

livvie7586

You want something that isn't acrylic.  I have gorgeous cotton ones from Target that i've worn countless times and are 6-7 years old, that have never pilled, and expensive pure wool that barely pills, too.

Plus the fluffier they get, the more they're likely to pill, whatever they're made out of.

22Fruitmincepies

Yep, pure cotton or pure wool. I find any kind of blend pills, and it’s so annoying. I have passed up beautiful looking items once I’ve seen that it’s a blend. 

• Like 2

seayork2002

I have lots of cardigans from target that don't pill but not sure in jumpers 

hills mum bec

Also, how are you washing them?  I will always hand wash knitted garments no matter what they are made of.  Don't rub the fabric at all while it is wet.  Soak the garment in wool wash, rinse thoroughly then squeeze the excess water out gently without wringing then wrap in a large towel to absorb more water.  Once this is all done dry it flat.  It sounds like a lot of work but it really doesn't take too much time.

• Like 2

José

I have wool from saba, country road, sports craft that hasn't pulled. I do take extra care with washing. 

• Like 1

Soontobegran

Removing the pilling makes the jumper like brand new.  I use a razor .

• Like 3

wallofdodo

I have a few jumpers from Alpha60. Sometimes they use a low pilling wool, but other times not. I do not have a problem with the pilling of their jumpers.  One of them I have had for nearly 7 yrs. People often comment on them.

They can be a bit pricey, but their sales are good. Their sizing is quite generous.

Let-it-go
7 minutes ago, Soontobegran said:

Removing the pilling makes the jumper like brand new.  I use a razor .

I have this special wooden handled razor kind of thing (I have zero ability to describe it 😂) that I bought from a dry cleaner especially for this purpose and it’s great.  But I do mainly use it for cashmere, which do pull.  Despite being super expensive.

Soontobegran
15 minutes ago, Let-it-go said:

I have this special wooden handled razor kind of thing (I have zero ability to describe it 😂) that I bought from a dry cleaner especially for this purpose and it’s great.  But I do mainly use it for cashmere, which do pull.  Despite being super expensive.

I have one of those too but I find my lady razor works better but you do have to be gentle so as to not to put a nick in it. :)

can'tstayaway

I find the blends are more likely to pill. I had a carpet sales person explain the science behind it and basically it is because different strength fibres rub up against each other causing the pilling. 

I was in a wool wash and then use lanolin in the rinse to help coat the fibres with their natural protective oils. You can buy it at the chemist and melt it in hot water, then dilute it down to barely warm before mixing in with the rinse water.

I cheat and buy the nice smelling stuff for cloth nappies and just add it to the fabric softener dispenser of my washing machine. I use the wool cycle and I think they have some fancy lab test to show it is more gentle than hand washing. I dry flat on the mesh attachment for my clothes airer.  I have a cashmere jumper that is about 20 years old and still looks great (although not so great on me anymore due to iso weight gain). 

Ozquoll

I'm pernickety about removing pilling on knits. Pills make any garment look shabby no matter how nice its shape or colour. I have one of these electric de-pilling machines:

https://m.catch.com.au/product/triumph-rechargeable-lint-remover-3pc-set-6080332/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu8Okley46gIVEiQrCh16Lgp_EAQYAyABEgIdTfD_BwE&offer_id=30121011

Actually, I have that one and another even better one - I take this de-pilling business seriously 😅.

If you do get an electric de-piller, make sure you have the garment laid out flat and wrinkle-free as the blades can catch on folds and make a nick in the yarn. 

• Like 1

JomoMum

Thank you all! Ugh. Yep I suspected it was the cheaper fabric combos. I’ve got some beautiful Witchery and CR ones that are years old and still looking beautiful. Alas they’re too small right now so I may need to invest in a few more. 

ozquoll I love my de-piller! It’s oddly satisfying listening to it lol. And I do use it!  They still look ratty and then worse again after one or two wears. I had a lovely emerald green jumper on yesterday and got home from a meeting at the bank and it looked so shoddy 🤦🏻‍♀️

wallofdodo

daiso have a depiller. I have had it for a few years and it is going strong

2020-07-07 12_03_05-daiso depiller - Google Search.png

• Like 1

JomoMum
27 minutes ago, wallofdodo said:

daiso have a depiller. I have had it for a few years and it is going strong

2020-07-07 12_03_05-daiso depiller - Google Search.png

Yep that’s the one we have! I also use it on the (also obviously cheap) fabric on our lounge. 

lizzzard

Get thee to Uniqlo :)

• Like 1