tobemommy

Smoke Alarms

tobemommy

Hey all

I own a property (small 1 bed apartment) and the REA has they have let us know as part of the new tenancy laws smoke alarms have undergo a certification  every time a new tenant moves in. They have recommended us a smoke alarm service which charge an annual fee of $99/year and unlimited services and battery replacements are included as part of this subscription. They assured me they have no other call out fees should the tenant have any issues with the smoke alarm or any faults are discovered during servicing.

Whilst $99 doesn't seem too much - keen to understand how everyone else's experience has been ? Is it easy enough as finding an electrician to certify or better to use a service like this ? 

Chicken Pie

surely that is up to the landlord as it is required in properties, you shouldnt be paying for that?

you can change the battery yourself if needed (we do), and our landlord tests the smoke alarm each inspection to ensure its working, but i may be missing something re certification and if so, as i say, it is surely their job in providing you a tenancy 

born.a.girl
1 minute ago, Chicken Pie said:

surely that is up to the landlord as it is required in properties, you shouldnt be paying for that?

you can change the battery yourself if needed (we do), and our landlord tests the smoke alarm each inspection to ensure its working, but i may be missing something re certification and if so, as i say, it is surely their job in providing you a tenancy 

She is the landlord. :)

I doubt you'd even get a single call out fee from an electrician for that amount, so sounds sensible to me, but I'd want to know what sort of 'certification' the person has.  I know someone doing the 'tag & test' work and finds it quite lucrative.  I should imagine the smoke alarm service will probably be doing others in the same building at the same time, so it's probably logical to go with one the agent recommends.

Agents are usually pretty careful with the people they recommend, in my experience, although that's only been with tradies etc for sale.

• Like 1

Just Another Cat

Sound reasonable to me. 

Also, because smoke alarms are what they do it would be reasonable to assume the service would be up to standard. Keeping the tenant safe and you covered. 

hills mum bec

I work for a real estate company and most of our landlords are signed up for a service like this at $99/year.  It is way cheaper than getting an electrician out and is a cost effective way of complying with your landlord obligations.

Bereckii

We have rented through 2 different real estate agents the last few years (Victoria). Both use the same company to come to the property once per year to check the smoke alarms. It sounds lot like the service Hills Mum Bec describes. 

Luci

$99 seems very reasonable. As mentioned by a PP I doubt you would get a single call out fee for an electrician for that amount, let along several visits if required. 

Chicken Pie

Ohhhh oops sorry for misreading!

• Like 1

Bella Laird

You don’t say where you are OP.

I've been renting in NSW (same place for almost 10 years) and the Strata sends someone out every year to do the smoke detectors and front doors certification for my whole complex to comply with council regs and the Strata insurance.

I don’t know if they have to do it at tenancy change since I’ve been here so long, but it might be worth checking if it’s done for your Strata yearly and if that’s enough.

sne

Interesting.  We've rented the same house  in Victoria for the past 8.5 years.  When we moved in there were 2 smoke alarms.  1 that looked about 20  years old. And the second hardwired into the non working security alarm. We went to Bunnings and brought our own that we maintain. The agent has never shown any interest in them. And we've never had anyone in to inspect them.

chicken_bits
Posted (edited)

Sounds about right.

When we were renting we had an issue with the smoke alarm and the LLs FINALLY got a proper guy to come and fix it. He explained exactly that, that legally they needed to be inspected regularly and that the yearly fee the LLs were charged included the inspection.

Seems like a no brainer to spend $99 on your property for piece of mind (not to mention safety and the law).

ETA: We're Vic too

Edited by chicken_bits

Paddlepop

I'm a tenant in Qld. A man from a smoke detector service comes once a year to change the battery in our smoke alarm, check that it's working and make sure it's clean. A few years ago he changed it to a new one. I have no idea what it costs the landlord but he's here for about 1 or 2 minutes once a year and that's it. He's quick and tidy. 

Murderino
1 hour ago, sne said:

Interesting.  We've rented the same house  in Victoria for the past 8.5 years.  When we moved in there were 2 smoke alarms.  1 that looked about 20  years old. And the second hardwired into the non working security alarm. We went to Bunnings and brought our own that we maintain. The agent has never shown any interest in them. And we've never had anyone in to inspect them.

I used to be a Vic landlord (sold the places 5 or 6 years ago) and Vic law changed requiring annual inspection sometime before we sold. We also paid $99 per property per year to have them done.

sne
3 hours ago, Murderino said:

I used to be a Vic landlord (sold the places 5 or 6 years ago) and Vic law changed requiring annual inspection sometime before we sold. We also paid $99 per property per year to have them done.

Another dodgy thing to add to the dodgy things list regarding our property agent and most definitely the house owner.  Maybe the agent checks a box during her sporadic inspections that we have smoke alarms and considers it done? We are looking to move.

• Like 1