Paddlepop

Best laptop brands

Paddlepop

What are the best laptop brands these days? Any brands to avoid? Acer was my and DH’s favourite but after reading some reviews it sounds like they’re pretty crappy now. 

DH needs a new one for himself. Specs he needs are 15.6 inch screen, decent webcam for online meetings, able to handle CAD/graphics programs so preferably quad core or equivalent , 8GB RAM, 256GB storage or bigger (he’d prefer 1TB) and not cost lots and lots of money. $1000 or less hopefully. 

Please don’t suggest Dell. He currently has a Dell and it sucks. It’s sh*tty. He loves my Acer but it’s a few years old so maybe it’s from when Acer was good still. 

Any suggestions of brands, shops, links to laptops, etc, appreciated. 

liveworkplay

Most of our computers have been ASUS.  Never had a single problem ever. DD1 has had her current ASUS laptop for 4 years now (BYOD for school) and it is still going strong. DD2's LENOVO is 2 years old and already having issues with the screen.

laridae

Acer have always had a bad reputation, so if you are happy with it, they've probably not got much worse! We used to use them at work over 10 years ago and they had a bad rep then. (that said, my home laptop was also an acer and it did the job).

My current one is a Dell, probably about the same as an acer, but it was cheap for its specs.

Asus are good,  but you sound like you want something fairly well specced? I don't think you are going to get that for under 1k. You need something fairly decent for cad and graphics processing - with a dedicated graphics card.

bakesgirls

ASUS is a fantastic brand. My last few have been ASUS and I’ve never had an issue. I only replaced my last one because I dropped it. Now I have a HP which so far has been excellent. It’s an i7 quad core. 1TB of storage with dedicated graphics -NVIDIA. 

I’m sorry to say it, but I doubt he’ll get a laptop with the specs he wants for under 1k unless he’s happy to buy an ex floor stock model. My first ASUS was a floor stock item  and it cost $999 with the same warranty as one in the box. It had the same specs as my current HP. 

• Like 2

BornToLove

I’ve always had HP laptops and have one for work as well. They do the job and hold up well. 

IamtheMumma

I'm a HP fan. 

FiveAus

My husband had an Asus laptop, he bought it at the same time as I got my MacBook Pro. They were about the same price (not cheap). After endless problems with it, after 18 months it ended up in the bin. The MacBook Pro is still going five years later and I bought him one to replace the Asus.
Don't get Asus, the one we had was garbage.

nom_de_plume

I've had my MacBook Pro for 7 years now and it hasn't skipped a beat. Prior to this one I had another MacBook for 7 years that I only replaced because it could no longer support the software I needed. The actual hardware was fine.

• Like 1

SummerStar
Posted (edited)

Edited by SummerStar
  • Like 2

MadMarchMasterchef
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, bakesgirls said:

ASUS is a fantastic brand. My last few have been ASUS and I’ve never had an issue. I only replaced my last one because I dropped it. Now I have a HP which so far has been excellent. It’s an i7 quad core. 1TB of storage with dedicated graphics -NVIDIA. 

I’m sorry to say it, but I doubt he’ll get a laptop with the specs he wants for under 1k unless he’s happy to buy an ex floor stock model. My first ASUS was a floor stock item  and it cost $999 with the same warranty as one in the box. It had the same specs as my current HP. 

I agree, currently there isn't heaps in that price range compared to 6 months ago. 

Taking out Dell and Acer  your choice is pretty much Asus, HP, Lenovo and a couple of lesser known brands like MSI. 

Samsung, apple, microsoft will be more expensive.
I had an ASUS a few years back and it was fantastic.  I haven't heard terrible about them. 

Edited by MadMarchMasterchef

MadMarchMasterchef

Not sure why I cant post links but I can see 2 on HP site that fit OPs specs and come in at 899 and 999.

MadMarchMasterchef
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, IamtheMumma said:

I'm a HP fan. 

Motherboard or case?   Boom!

(sorry, very bad IT joke) 

Edited by MadMarchMasterchef
  • Haha 2

foom

Dell - whenever I 've used a Dell through a corporate deal they have been good. Consumer level ones not so good. So given he is looking $1k range I think you are right to rule out Dell.

I've always liked HP laptops I've used.

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef
12 minutes ago, foom said:

Dell - whenever I 've used a Dell through a corporate deal they have been good. Consumer level ones not so good. So given he is looking $1k range I think you are right to rule out Dell.

I've always liked HP laptops I've used.

Ive had good experience with Dell too  but that seems to be contrary to the common experience on EB. 🤷‍♀️

I think you might be right about corporate grade vs home grade. 

hills mum bec

I don't know what's the best brand.  I needed a new lap top and wanted to get it before end of financial year.  Sent DH to get one with the instructions "Don't get HP, DD has a HP one and the keyboard has stopped working."  DH came home with an Acer and then ten minutes after he had it all set up for me DD walks into the room and says "Why did you get Acer?  My computer is an Acer and it is crap."  Whoops.

mintpatty

We’ve had trouble with two Lenovo’s 5 seconds out of warranty. I would never buy another Lenovo

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef
8 hours ago, hills mum bec said:

I don't know what's the best brand.  I needed a new lap top and wanted to get it before end of financial year.  Sent DH to get one with the instructions "Don't get HP, DD has a HP one and the keyboard has stopped working."  DH came home with an Acer and then ten minutes after he had it all set up for me DD walks into the room and says "Why did you get Acer?  My computer is an Acer and it is crap."  Whoops.

I think this illustrates the point that there are bad models / individual machines with faults in every brand unfortunately.   Laptops also tend to get bashed around a bit depending on who the end user is. 

Paddlepop

Thanks for the help everyone. We purchased an Asus tonight instead of the Acer or Lenovo we'd been considering. DH had a play around on the demo models at Officeworks and the Asus was the clear winner for him. We bought this one:

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/asus-15-6-notebook-pentium-silver-f509ma-uj186t-syasf509ma

$777, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 15.6 inch display, and quad core processor. It should do what DH needs it to do. It has to be better than his sh*tty Dell that has been repaired twice already. Guess that's his $750 stimulus payment spent. 

DD is happy because now she gets to claim DH's old laptop as her own. :lol: