Mummy2twoBOYS

Changing adult child’s bed sheets.

Mummy2twoBOYS

Curious in what others think, at what age do you think a teenager, young adult should change their own bed sheets? 
Curious as I have a friend with a 20 year old who has their Own partner, however the parent still insists on changing their bed sheets. Each to their own of course, however curious to hear others perspectives. 

Not Escapin Xmas

When I met DH he was 21 and responsible for his own sheets. I reckon it had been months... so gross. I would insist on fortnightly at least. And kid has to do it, not mother!!!

• Like 2

Odd-1-Out

My parents made me do mine at 16. If you are happy doing it then continue, if not make them do it.

kadoodle

My kids allegedly all do their own, with my assistance as required (doona covers can be tricky).  By 15 I would hope they’re doing it all themselves.

• Like 5

BornToLove

DD is 10 and I make her strip them off for washing. One of us helps her put fresh ones on, but that’s more because she has a bigger bed and she’s still young and struggles to lift the corners and tuck the sheet under. 

• Like 3

Soontobegran

When they were mid teens I left the pile of clean stuff on their bed which signalled it was change time. It usually happened within a few days of this. As for changing the sheets of an adult child with partner.....that is a big fat no.

• Like 10

dadwasathome

My boys (17 and 12) would probably strip their beds if I asked. I wash the sheets, but the 17yo makes his, 12yo starting to make his too unless I'm feeling charitable.

I truly don't recall whether I did my own when living at home, certainly washed regularly by me once I moved out at 22yo.

I'm sure mum washed sheets after each visit by DP and I. She could have saved washing a set if she hadn't implemented a "not until you're married" rule about sharing a bed in her house :)

• Like 1

born.a.girl

I really couldn't care what other people do in their houses.  Perhaps their 20 year old does things that the rest of our 20 year old would never consider doing.

• Like 7

seayork2002

I have no opinion either way really, we may or may not do ds's when he is older

SeaPrincess

If they’re happy with the situation, who cares?

FWIW, my children (aged 10-14) strip their beds when they are asked to. If I have to get the sheets, then they have to make the bed. I was stripping and making my own bed at 12 in boarding school, but the sheets actually went to the laundry.

~LemonMyrtle~

I was doing mine, with prompting, from about the age of 14 I reckon. before that, I wasn’t physically able to do it, just wasn’t tall enough or strong enough, and even as a teenager I needed help sometimes. And now, as a grown up, DH still has to help me. I’m only 5’2. So I guess I’d say, they should do it as soon as they are physically able to. 

• Like 3

cstar

I wash the sheets here but eldest is 19, youngest is 14 I leave clean sheets on their beds and they make them up, if they want help they usually ask their siblings not me. 

seayork2002
2 minutes ago, ~LemonMyrtle~ said:

I was doing mine, with prompting, from about the age of 14 I reckon. before that, I wasn’t physically able to do it, just wasn’t tall enough or strong enough, and even as a teenager I needed help sometimes. And now, as a grown up, DH still has to help me. I’m only 5’2. So I guess I’d say, they should do it as soon as they are physically able to. 

Yeah now I think about dh and i always change ours together, he makes it or i do it with him but I struggle doing it myself 

Ds's  for changing i can do, or dh does it we sometimes get ds to help

cstar

I remember my mum yelling at us every Saturday morning to put our sheets in the wash and clean up our rooms, she was so annoying, coz it had to be at the exact time she wanted it done, and it had to be every week, she is 79 and still changes her sheets every week. 

• Like 4

iwanttosleepin

My 14 year has been responsible for stripping and re-making his own bed for at least the last 12 months.  (maybe longer I can't remember) he has a queen size bed.  He has the only queen bed in the house so those sheets are stored in his bedroom.

I wash and hang out the washing generally, but he does it fairly regularly, regardless of whether its mainly his stuff or not.

My 11 year strips his own bed but we re-make it together as he has a bunk bed and its a real pain to remake.  His sheets are stored in a shared linen cupboard and I get them out for him.

iwanttosleepin

to add.  I lived with my parents for about 5 months a few years back (with my 3 kids) and I definitely did our sheets for ourselves.

FloralArrangement

Early teens in my experience. Ds may be different due to special needs but it won’t be to long for h8m either. 

Kallie88

I'm pretty sure I was responsible for that by my mid- teens, mum would wash the sheets but I'm pretty sure we were told to strip the bed and put new sheets on ourselves.

Obviously if they are ok with that situation, each to their own, but I think I'd want my kids to be doing that by their teens

TheGreenSheep

We all had a day once a week, mine was Friday morning. It’s so deeply ingrained I can recall it 25yrs after moving out. We then had to remake it with mum after school. I reckon I was 10 or younger when that kicked off.. So no, I definitely won’t be changing an adults sheets. DSs have been stripping there’s when asked, we make them with them that night before bed.

• Like 1

rosie28

DS is 6 and takes his sheets off and brings them downstairs to be washed on Saturday mornings. I make the beds with fresh linen, but lately he has started helping. DD is 4 and “helps”. So no way on earth would I change sheets for an adult. 

• Like 2

amdirel

They strip and re-make their own beds and have since about 10yo.

I have to hound them to get them to do it though.

CaSPer79

DD has been doing it since she was 12yrs (16yrs now). She usually strips her bed on the weekend and remakes it, no pushing from us.

3babygirls

My mum used to do it for me, but that's because she never asked us to do it. She just used to think we were too useless to do anything and just did it herself.. 🤨

My 3 year old strips her bed, it's actually one of her favourite 'chores' to do. She makes her bed too, but I do the fitted sheet part and help her tidy the top up (much to her disgust lol). I'll take it while I can. 

I detest making beds, so i'd literally try and palm the whole job off to my kids as early as possible, so there is no way i'd be doing my 20 year olds bed!

• Like 5

Mumsyto2

Around 15yo here. Having said that it only gets done when a smell starts emanating from their rooms and I nag. Then they are just dumped in the laundry, which is okay as we have a huge washer so just putting on a bed set would be a waste and no one seems to have the hang of my laundry system as in what goes with what in which cycles, even though I have explained it multiple times. Someone previously attempted but trackies came out as peddle pushers and previously long shirts as tank tops. So I’m happy with it being dumped on the laundry floor. 

Murderino
2 hours ago, BornToLove said:

DD is 10 and I make her strip them off for washing. One of us helps her put fresh ones on, but that’s more because she has a bigger bed and she’s still young and struggles to lift the corners and tuck the sheet under. 

My kids (11 and 9) have been stripping their beds when I tell them every Monday morning since we moved in t9 this house and they have actually slept in them! They go back to their dad in a Monday so I make the bed and it’s ready when they come back a week later.

When they were sleeping in my bed they would help me strip and remake it.

My sisters and I were stripping and remaking from early teens on mums timetable (weekly).

I personally wouldn’t be doing it for an adult couple but each to their own.