Pooks_

Public housing lockdown

Pooks_

If anyone knows how we can contribute to services supporting people in these towers, can you please link here.

My family has a lot of connections and experiences with these towers and would like to know how to help. 

We are really struggling with lockdown 2.0 but I can’t imagine how hard it is going to be for these residents. 

• Like 10

tothebeach

I’m absolutely shell shocked.   Those poor people who already so disenfranchised.   500 police stopping people from leaving their houses.  

Imagine those in a domestic violence situation.   

I’d be happy to donate or support if you know of anything.  

• Like 2

JRA

I was thinking that. everyone was happy to donate to the bushfires, this is just as bad.   There was something about rent relief, FFS they better not be charging people rent in this time, they better be doing everything they can for these poor people

• Like 4

hmmph

I'm keeping an eye on the foodbank and the ASRC pages to see if they will be helping out... And will donate

• Like 2

Soontobegran

Also wanting to help if only I get told how to.

blimkybill

Providing improved internet access and streaming subscriptions could be a practical way to help people.

Yes I would love to hear how support from ordinary people (not just government) can be coordinated.  

• Like 3

hmmph

Vpta would be another organisation to keep an eye on. Victorian public tenants association.

• Like 1

Sugarplum Poobah

Trades Hall are starting up a fundraiser. For those of you on Facebook check out Van Badham's page

• Like 6

tweedle-dee

If you're on facebook, search "One Another Community". Their recent post relates to exactly this

tothebeach
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, PooksLikeChristmas said:

Pleased to say I can now answer my own question 

https://supportpublichousingresidents.raisely.com/

amazing.

How legitimate is this?   Don’t want another bushfire donation situation where people donated because they were deeply moved but it didn’t get there. 

ETA: I’ve donated to ASRC but happy to donate here too if this will make a difference. 

Edited by tothebeach
  • Like 2

JRA
Just now, tothebeach said:

How legitimate is this?   Don’t want another bushfire donation situation where people donated because they were deeply moved but it didn’t get there. 

it is being run by the unions - apparently

Pooks_

It is being coordinated by the Victorian Trades Hall Council who will have capacity to coordinate and direct the funding to local community services will be able to quickly get in on the ground. They have the existing relationships and structures in place. 

• Like 7

gruidae
4 hours ago, tothebeach said:

I’m absolutely shell shocked.   Those poor people who already so disenfranchised.   500 police stopping people from leaving their houses.  

Imagine those in a domestic violence situation.   

I’d be happy to donate or support if you know of anything.  

That's possibly the only positive about this. There are apparently police on every floor which may hopefully have some inhibitory effect on perps. I'm more wondering about other social issues residents may experience such as mental health and addiciton. I predict things getting pretty hairy in about 24 hours time. I hope that the wrap around services include 1)mental health workers  2) medical staff to supervise drug withdrawal and 3) that the windows don't open. Mental health issues, trauma histories, prescence of authoritarian figures who are feared in combination with forced confinement are not going to go well I shouldn't think.

• Like 8

Jenflea

I just read on FB that they are sending in drug and alcohol counsellors too. And they are being mindful of DV situations, but they can't be everywhere at once, can they? 

• Like 1

PuddingPlease
5 minutes ago, Jenflea said:

I just read on FB that they are sending in drug and alcohol counsellors too. And they are being mindful of DV situations, but they can't be everywhere at once, can they? 

I suspect given the amount of intervention going on in those buildings and the number of police around that victims of domestic violence may be safer tonight than they would be on many other nights throughout the year.

• Like 11

Behind Hazel Eyes
9 hours ago, PooksLikeChristmas said:

It is being coordinated by the Victorian Trades Hall Council who will have capacity to coordinate and direct the funding to local community services will be able to quickly get in on the ground. They have the existing relationships and structures in place. 

Theyre half way to their funding goal as of 6am this morning.  $119, 000 raised so far. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.9news.com.au/article/986620be-3739-4a33-b0eb-e9b1ce7ba9f7

• Like 2

Baily

I see activity boxes are being organised.

Would also be great if mobile wifi Trucks/trailers could be put outside.

They were fabulous during the fires.  I know many of those residents would have no or limited data. 

• Like 3

Zeppelina

DA has said they are currently in discussions with Telstra to organise wifi etc.

• Like 2

Zeppelina

@MargaretSimons on twitter is a freelance journalist who is actually at one of the estates, on the ground there (and says she will be there every day), if anyone wants to follow.

• Like 1

lucky 2

Thanks pooks, I've been worried about the tenants.

I worry about those with young babies and dv. I hope those situations were picked up by maternity and other services as the risks are high.

MCHN services would be involved too.

• Like 1

Dianalynch

This is a terrible situation on so many levels 

I was thinking about the people with drug and alcohol addictions - this is a genuine question as I have no experience in the field, I do have relatives with alcohol addiction, they certainly couldn’t last 5 days without alcohol, I think some of them would become very sick,  or die, which left me wondering...

will they be able to access alcohol / drugs during this time?  while I’d be inclined to provide what’s needed, there’s laws around the supply of illicit drugs...I imagine there will be methodone programs or equivalent for that....wondering about those with alcoholism, it doesn’t seem the best time to try to stop alcohol use, even if it can be adequately supervised by health professionals, so would alcohol be supplied if needed?  

• Like 2

~Peahen~

I can only speak of alcohol dependence,  but yes, there is risk of seizure and death if you are alcohol dependent and stop cold Turkey. It needs to be done under medical guidance and often medication is required. My thoughts are definitely with those affected.