Charli73

Gift for new mum

Charli73

I am buying a gift for a work friend who is expecting and we’ve put in, I have $200 roughly and she only has cot and some clothes.. 

was going to buy a heap of things she will need in a gift basket.. any suggestions apart from usual toys, book and lotions? 

Mrs Zee

What about a few weeks with a cloth nappy laundry service? 

Ellie bean

Car seat?

-Emissary-
Posted (edited)

Wipes

Nappies

Muslin Wraps 

Ergo sleeping bag 

Love to Dream sleeping bag

A baby blanket 

Baby socks, mittens, beanie

Pigeon newborn baby bottles 

Baby nail clipper 

A voucher from baby bunting 

Edited by -Emissary-
  • Like 2

PuddingPlease
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mrs Zee said:

What about a few weeks with a cloth nappy laundry service? 

I didn't think they really existed anymore?

Edited by PuddingPlease

PuddingPlease

I think a twin pack of Nuk dummies is good to throw in, everyone thinks that they won't use them and doesn't buy any but that first night home with a new baby can change things very quickly.

Also nice cotton/bamboo swaddles and loads of little cleaning towels.

• Like 1

Chamomile

If you’re in Sydney, a Dinner Ladies voucher. 

Lou-bags

Baby panadol + nurofen 

thermometer

snot sucker

small screwdriver and batteries for all the blasted battery operated toys

hydrogel breast discs 

Gift subscription to audible 

Gift voucher for drive thru coffee shop 

• Like 5

ckmelb

I was given some similar gift baskets.

- Lambswool rug for tummy time has been a hit. She has used it almost every day since she was born

- Lansinoh was a godsend

- wipes were great because I didn't know which brand to choose

- the sleeping bags also a winner (ergo pouch and love to dream)

- nail clippers

- nursing pads

- pram organiser thingy and a cup holder to fit my pram

• Like 1

22Fruitmincepies

One of the best things I got was a big box of nice biscuits (from a local biscuit maker) and box of nice teas. It meant I had something whenever various people popped in to see the baby. And often the biscuits just for me, because DD did not approve of meal breaks. 

• Like 1

Mrs Zee
8 hours ago, PuddingPlease said:

I didn't think they really existed anymore?

Sure do. My local one is very popular. For the price of a box of Huggies a week, it's understandable why they are so popular. 

• Like 1

Mooples

I’d get stuff that doesn’t matter if they get more than one of but not the things everyone buys excessive amounts of eg blankets and muslin wraps - I ended up with at least 12 of each. 

My go to is always a love to dream swaddle. With the big amount you have you could get a nice play mat or a bouncer. Even a breast pump if that’s something she’d be interested in. A mimco nappy bag is a nice treat too. 

I would of hated being given a cloth nappy service voucher. Ds1 was born prem, I was pumping around the clock to feed him and feeling guilted into using cloth nappies because people had paid for it would have been awful. It’s a nice idea if you know the mum is keen to use them though. 

• Like 3

José

I like the meal voucher idea eg dinner ladies or similar or fruit/ veg delivery. Maybe a nice picture book... I think Kate Ritchie has one like i just couldn't wait to meet you. I like bamboo towels for babies. 

• Like 1

IamtheMumma

A gift voucher for a baby store and let her get what she wants as baby grows. A dwinguler mat would be something expensive she could buy to her personal taste. 

• Like 1

Luci

I also would have hated the cloth nappy voucher and it would have gone to waste.  I have 3 children and always used just disposable nappies. With DD1 I was delirious from lack of sleep, there is no way I could have organized nappy pick ups and drop offs anyway.  

If in Sydney I would like a Dinner Ladies voucher. I quite like giving gifts but with baby things it is so easy to end up with double ups of items you already have. 

• Like 2

chicken_bits

Definitely a food service voucher.

• Like 1

Silverstreak

Some of the best presents I got were:

Polar fleece blankies that were easy to wash and use in the pram / on the carpet.

A baby monitor. Very handy and we used it for years (once DS stopped needing it, I used it to chat to DH when he was working in the garage.)

Little knitted tops that I could layer over suits, as these were hard to find / expensive.

A ten pack of bibs, this came in really handy.

Mustela baby wash and baby moisturiser. Sample packs are great to pack in a nappy bag.

A delivery dinner / food voucher would have been great as well.

Also, baby socks are always useful, they are so tiny it's easy to lose them in a wash. And face washers, I went through lots of those and ended up buying them all in navy, so they didn't show stains! (I still do this today.)

• Like 1

Charli73

All great suggestions thanks everyone.. 

Hands Up

The best gift we got was a box delivered from a gourmet meal service full of beautiful frozen meals. It was amazing!!!!

Ive done the same for others, otherwise an outfit in size 0 (correct season), or some essentials like baby Panadol etc. with a lovely baby book or box set.

I also would not have used a cloth nappy service.

• Like 1

seayork2002

if it is her rather than the baby posh tea/coffee, nice mug, chocolates, coaster, candle, amazon voucher etc.

What I would buy anyway

• Like 1

JK4

In line with the dinner voucher, voucher for a home cleaning service - depending where you are located $200 should hopefully get 2 cleans of 2 -3 hours which is always useful with a newborn

• Like 1

blackcat20

I just put together a gift for a mum to be at work, I got some basic onesies, beanie, socks, singlets, bibs. A couple of toys, night light. Nappy wipes, nappy rash cream, teething gel. Chocolate and hand cream.

• Like 1

Tinky Winky Woo

I would have liked a voucher to get meals delivered for the first week at least.  A delivery of luxury biscuits or my favourite treats as I didn't eat for 40 weeks.  Maybe a voucher to buy clothes or needs that I didn't end up with BUT not from a baby store.  You get twice as much at chain stores and can buy things for older babies as well.

• Like 1

literally nobody

frozen meals

• Like 1

Prancer is coming

See anything cloth nappy related I would have loved, but I would have hated getting wipes or Johnson’s and Johnson baby lotion and they would have gone to waste.

I like the idea of more fancy products that you are less likely to buy yourself.  Like one of those fancy swaddles you can zip baby into which helps them sleep, nice natural bath oil, really nice wraps or blankets.  If she is likely to have everything, toys or books can be good or clothes in bigger sizes. Or subscription to a parenting magazine - they came with good free gifts when I was reading them.

i like to idea of a meal voucher,  but at the same time it would be one more thing to organise and I am not sure I Could be bothered in the early days.  

• Like 3