Baily

Conspiracy and Covid

VigilantePaladin

My favourite is that Bill Gates is behind it all so that he can get everyone vaccinated and microchipped....that is from my ex best friend who has gone so far down the religious rabbit hole it's not funny.

marple
  1. I do think the media could help make it more "real" to people by doing some short videos of actual people - whoever  agrees obviously - some recovered -  how they are now; some who didn't -  their families.etc.  Personal stories make things more relatable. 

TigerQueenofSheeba
6 hours ago, Amica said:

My good friend is a paramedic in the UK. I don't know her title but she does the more 'intensive care' type work rather than patient transfers and minor injuries if that makes sense. Paramedics call her when the situation is dire. My point is that she is highly skilled and educated. Anyway, there are 2 points that I want to make. 

1. She caught COVID-19 about 3 months ago and has still not recovered. She has recovered from the actual virus but is on extended sick leave for lingering illness including thrombocytosis, blood clots, chronic fatigue, deep body aches and more. She had none of it pre-COVID and has been admitted to hospital twice since "recovery". She says she feels worse now than when she was "sick". She is late 40s and otherwise healthy pre-COVID. Point being we just don't know how this plays out long term. 

2. Despite her being an educated and seemingly level headed person, she has totally fallen down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole. It pains me every time she inboxes me some link she wants me to read to convince me of the cover up and to not be a sheep. I don't open them, but it is all along the lines of Bill Gates started it, Trump is right about hydroxychloroquine (she hates Trump but says he is right about this one 😵), the WHO are liars, Bill Gates covering up this, that and the other, and more. Lots about Bill Gates in fact! She is not the conspiracy theory type generally so this really has me stumped. She's gone full blown conspiracy. 

That is kind of scary. That someone in that position, who actually had the virus, could turn in that direction.

So, if it's all a conspiracy, then what is her explanation of being sicker now? 

These other illness that people end up with are what scares me to be honest. 

IamzFeralz

I would ask the conspiracy theorists how was it possible to get countries as diverse as China, America, Russia, Iran, Israel, US etc to all agree that this is real and it’s happening when normally these countries are quite hostile and at each other’s throats. 

My sister seems to be going down that path but then she was into conspiracies from the time we were young anyway.  I think it’s a personality type. Unfortunately, the internet means they can wreak havoc.

• Like 2

marple

Yes , I posted earlier about a  good friend of mine  from years ago who has decided QAnon speaks the truth and Jfk JR is alive and living as someone named Vincent, and 5g is causing all this - though it actually doesn't exist - it's all a fake by MSM. OMG! I was in shock ( haven't seen her for about 10 years) But , as pp said she has always had that kind of personality - is she goes on a diet she only eats 5  days a  fortnight. . She takes things to the extreme. 

born.a.girl
1 hour ago, IamzFeralz said:

I would ask the conspiracy theorists how was it possible to get countries as diverse as China, America, Russia, Iran, Israel, US etc to all agree that this is real and it’s happening when normally these countries are quite hostile and at each other’s throats. 

My sister seems to be going down that path but then she was into conspiracies from the time we were young anyway.  I think it’s a personality type. Unfortunately, the internet means they can wreak havoc.

The problem I've found in trying to challenge these types of ideas, is if you ask a question (like your perfectly logical getting countries to agree, and why?) all you get in response is being told to google some rubbish, and if you don't do that, then according to them you're one of the sheeple who just accept what politicians tell them.

• Like 4

lizzzard

This is great idea I came across a while ago (might even have been a link from EB) - honestly I think it should be mandatory curriculum for all high school students....

https://callingbullsh*t.org/syllabus.html

• Like 2

purplekitty

When I did HSC in Victoria 'Critical Thinking' was part of the English Expression syllabus.

25% of the external exam (100% of marks at end of year), IIRC.

It involved analysis of texts and media for persuasive argument and thinking.

• Like 1

Chee72

Not a conspiracy theory but my sister believes and tells everyone it’s a type of flu. People overreacting 😳