Baily

Conspiracy and Covid

Baily

I don’t understand the conspiracy theories around Covid-19.

Today 2 things scared me.  The first one was by Dr Norman Swan on the Coronacast.  He said at the peak of the pandemic in Italy, the cut off point for ventilators was 40 years old.  It made me think how many “young” people were seriously ill.  Also made me very scared as I’m late forty’s.

The other things was that today America recorded over 65,000 new cases.  

People were shocked at 80,000 in China.  

How are people thinking this isn’t real? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Riotproof

I don’t know. I know a nurse working in New Jersey and she is close to broken.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

AtotheZ

I don’t know how people do not understand the severity of this disease.

I have had to snooze a friend on FB for the last 3 months to get away from her constant rants about this ‘plandemic’ (her words) and how it is interfering with her wedding which was postponed.

She also believes  5G conspiracy theories, social distancing isn’t required, thinks that Trump is the greatest President of all time. Oh, and Pete Evans is also a god in her mind.

Someone replied to one of her posts by saying that a family member has died from Covid-19 and to please be sensitive- I couldn’t believe her response to her friend.

She’s not getting much engagement to her rants but there are a few supporters of her thoughts. 

• Like 8

Baily
7 minutes ago, Riotproof said:

I don’t know. I know a nurse working in New Jersey and she is close to broken.  

My heart goes out to all our front line workers, it must be unbelievably frustrating putting you life on the line and large number of people are being incredibly careless. 

• Like 7

Jaffa donuts

I have a friend (an actual real life friend, but we live in different states now) who believes it is a conspiracy. I can't quite get a hold on exactly what part of it she thinks isn't real though, because she won't actually engage in discussion. 

She seems to be a big fan of the ideas of Dr Wolfgang Wodarg

The last thing she posted on facebook was this:

YEP IT WORKS they have all bases covered you can find it anywhere. Think covid isn’t a hoax...Type in any 3 digit number then "new cases" on google. Go ahead, do it!

When a few of us questioned what she thought it meant, she took it down.  

Frustrating

• Like 2

Baily

Theses are also scary figures.

There are currently 442 active cases in Victoria.

Currently, 23 people with coronavirus infection are in hospital, including six patients in intensive care.

What will those figures look like in a few weeks

• Sad 2

MadMarchMasterchef

Im sick of the 'Governement is doing this to test if they can control us' theories.  FFS.  If they wanted to control us then clearly they can so why didn't they just do it.    

Usually peddled by anti-vaxers. 

The 5G conspiracy doesn't even make sense.  5G rollout doesn't follow the pattern of where the virus has hit the hardest. 

• Like 6

seayork2002

Does America actually know there is a virus?

But according to conspiracy theorists everything seems to be a conspiracy. So does anything actual happen in the world?  Or is it all just a mirage

Mind you eb comes up with lots of conspiracys though usually involving hearing one side of a story and being adamant there is some elaborate plan behind it

• Like 3

Chchgirl
43 minutes ago, AtotheZ said:

I don’t know how people do not understand the severity of this disease.

I have had to snooze a friend on FB for the last 3 months to get away from her constant rants about this ‘plandemic’ (her words) and how it is interfering with her wedding which was postponed.

She also believes  5G conspiracy theories, social distancing isn’t required, thinks that Trump is the greatest President of all time. Oh, and Pete Evans is also a god in her mind.

Someone replied to one of her posts by saying that a family member has died from Covid-19 and to please be sensitive- I couldn’t believe her response to her friend.

She’s not getting much engagement to her rants but there are a few supporters of her thoughts. 

Do we have a mutual friend? 🤣

Sounds exactly the same. I had to snooze her as well, she fully believes all that, and it's all down to Bill Gates. I did un snooze her but it only lasted a day. I couldn't cope with her rants, now she has symptoms from 5g, and shared something about how we should not become a cashless society, ranting how it's a way to control us. And all her Hilary Clinton being a pedophile as well.

I really want to tell her that you tube isn't a credible source of evidence but just unfollowed again, it just gives me a headache.

• Like 2

AtotheZ

@Chchgirl yes we must do!! She has also ranted about those extra topics you mentioned! So crazy!

• Like 2

123Tree

My SIL reckons it doesn't matter because Covid only affects people with low immune systems so they are going to die of something anyway.  Makes me sick.  I can't figure it out at all, how is in any way OK to speed up the death of anyone.

I can't bring myself to see her for the last little while. Two reasons, firstly it find it upsetting to hear her actual drivel. Secondly I don't trust what she gets unto if she is such a non believer.

• Like 5

Baily
43 minutes ago, 123Tree said:

My SIL reckons it doesn't matter because Covid only affects people with low immune systems so they are going to die of something anyway.  Makes me sick.  I can't figure it out at all, how is in any way OK to speed up the death of anyone.

I can't bring myself to see her for the last little while. Two reasons, firstly it find it upsetting to hear her actual drivel. Secondly I don't trust what she gets unto if she is such a non believer.

So sad when people think lives are expendable just because they have a chronic condition or low immunity.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

BornToLove

I have a friend on Facebook who is a vegan. They have posted some stuff relating to the virus coming from a wet market/from eating exotic animals. A lot of those posts have racist undertones, but I don’t think they see that. They are becoming more militant with veganism and are currently on mute for that. Really, I should just delete them. 

• Like 3

lizzzard

I’m a bit puzzled by some of the comments in this thread - it seem like everyone has to be terrified of covid or they’re a conspiracy theorist (no one has said this, I’m just picking up that assumption from all the comments about people not being scared enough....).

I’m not scared of the virus at all. Our death rate in Australia has slowed to very very small numbers - the vast, vast majority of people who get sick with the virus recover. I am very statistically minded and these facts genuinely prevent me being worried at all. I think parts of the government’s response have been overly aggressive with widespread negative effects when more targeted strategies would have been equally effective relative to the actual risk For certain populations in Australia.

However I don’t think there is any conspiracy!!! Just a new and scary situation with a huge amount at stake, that requires problem solving by lots of different disciplines in a short space of time. Like anything, with hindsight maybe different decisions may be made - or maybe not because the health outcomes have been so good compared to other countries, and ultimately this is the benchmark our nation values most and will sacrifice a lot for.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

rainycat

I have one of those friends too, her fb posts have me a bit worried for her. She has noted that the melb hotspot suburbs are the ones that have the 5G towers. Something else about Bill Gates microchipping us and that it’s a people cull?? Cabal and new world order gets a lot of airplay too? A lot of weird stuff but I will hang in there as she is a really good person.

• Like 1

franklymum
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, lizzzard said:
24 minutes ago, lizzzard said:

Edited by franklymum

franklymum
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, lizzzard said:

I’m a bit puzzled by some of the comments in this thread - it seem like everyone has to be terrified of covid or they’re a conspiracy theorist (no one has said this, I’m just picking up that assumption from all the comments about people not being scared enough....).

Sorry just figured out the quote thing. That't not what people are saying. They are mentioning specific conspiracy theories - 5G, Bill Gates, the Qanon thing about Hilary Clinton, Plandemic etc. 

It IS scary how many people are falling for this nonsense. Ignorant, deluded and uninformed people are a lot less likely to do the right thing and prevent the spread of Covid-19 and that isn't fear mongering, it's common sense. Just look at the moronic behaviour in large sections of the U.S. population at the moment. As you said, we need a concerted, collective and intelligent response to this pandemic - that isn't going to happen if large groups of people continue to fall down these ridiculous youtube rabbit holes. 

Edited by franklymum
typo
  • Like 8

TheGreenSheep
Posted (edited)

@lizzzard I wholeheartedly agree. Numerous health professionals I have spoken to have commented that the govts campaign was so successful it was too successful, and now the pendulum swung the other way. Dan Andrews has undermined any voter confidence with the quarantine hotels debacle and in turn has given rise to more conspiracy theories and fed into people’s displeasure at being locked down again, and then thousands are refusing to be tested based on wild and weird conspiracy theories flooding SM. I have to say my fave one is 5G, who even thinks that sh*t up?

Edited by TheGreenSheep
Spelling
  • Like 2

Chchgirl
14 hours ago, AtotheZ said:

@Chchgirl yes we must do!! She has also ranted about those extra topics you mentioned! So crazy!

Honestly, I was laughing.  With a bit of a hysterical undertone 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

123Tree
14 hours ago, Baily said:

So sad when people think lives are expendable just because they have a chronic condition or low immunity.

I like to think that she just doesn't think.  I can't in my heart comprehend that others think that lives are expendable.

• Like 1

Riotproof
3 hours ago, franklymum said:

Sorry just figured out the quote thing. That't not what people are saying. They are mentioning specific conspiracy theories - 5G, Bill Gates, the Qanon thing about Hilary Clinton, Plandemic etc. 

It IS scary how many people are falling for this nonsense. Ignorant, deluded and uninformed people are a lot less likely to do the right thing and prevent the spread of Covid-19 and that isn't fear mongering, it's common sense. Just look at the moronic behaviour in large sections of the U.S. population at the moment. As you said, we need a concerted, collective and intelligent response to this pandemic - that isn't going to happen if large groups of people continue to fall down these ridiculous youtube rabbit holes. 

Don’t forget Soros. 

• Like 2

BadCat
17 hours ago, Baily said:

My heart goes out to all our front line workers, it must be unbelievably frustrating putting you life on the line and large number of people are being incredibly careless. 

Yes.  My heart broke for someone this morning who tweeted that 105 days ago she was working as an ICU nurse.  Today she is on a heart monitor and in a wheelchair because she had COVID.  No underlying conditions that you would associate with worst case scenarios.

And yet there are people still saying it's a hoax designed to control people. Saying it's a hoax to push a "vaccine" which is actually a microchip so they can trace everyone.  Saying 5G, Gates, Soros.... people are so stupid it's embarrassing to be a member of the human race.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

Sugarplum Poobah

I've seen criticisms of social media as an echo chamber. A global pandemic has shown me just how untrue this is in my case.

resurcher.jpg

• Like 8

SeaPrincess
31 minutes ago, BadCat said:

And yet there are people still saying it's a hoax designed to control people. Saying it's a hoax to push a "vaccine" which is actually a microchip so they can trace everyone. 

They’re taking their sweet time about getting the “vaccine” out to us. Maybe it’s not true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Baily
8 hours ago, lizzzard said:

I started this thread because, I’m puzzled people don’t think this is real virus, it’s a hoax ect.

Everyone has different fear levels, you obviously have a lot less fear than me.  I have days where I’m actually really scared or worried.  I then have other days where I feel no worry and I look at things differently. 

Personally I feel Australia is extremely lucky atm, but I feel Australians generally are being more complacent and I fear that is going to be our undoing.

I think my fear comes from worrying our health system will collapse. Yes we have put things in place, but exponential growth may put strains on those systems.   I also live in an area with a tiny hospital that can’t take anything serious. People are airlifted or taken by ambulance to larger hospitals.   If Covid becomes a huge problem and puts our health systems under enormous pressure  in Australia, I honestly can’t see people being airlifted  out of smaller communities like mine.  

• Like 1