DogsLife

Kettle

seayork2002

I prefer the white solid plastic kettles I had years ago but DH and I drink different drinks so we now always get ones that have the temp control as to us it makes a difference but they only come in metally (stainsless steel look ones which I don't like the look of but the temp thing is me important.

We have had a few brands of these

Riotproof
On 03/07/2020 at 12:29 PM, Zippypeaks said:

Ugh, I made the mistake of buying a glass kettle. It looks filthy All. The. Time. Im waiting for it to break so I can replace it. I squeeze half a lemon and boil it (the lemon and lemon water) every 1-2 weeks to keep the scale at bay. Comes up sparkling. Its been 4 years so far and its (annoyingly) working perfectly. 

Yes. That’s what I said to dh when he wanted the blue led light one. 

though tbh I don’t think I’ve ever cleaned mine unless I thought the water tasted funny. 

iwanttosleepin
Posted (edited)

I would estimate I am on my 4th kettle since leaving home about 25 years ago.  I've never cleaned a kettle except to wipe oil splatter off as its often too close to the stovetop.  In only buy red ones.  I have all red appliances.

Edited by iwanttosleepin

rosie28

I replace it when it dies. I buy good quality kettles because I drink 8 cups of tea a day so it gets a workout. I’ve owned 4 since moving out 14 years ago. It gets cleaned and thanked for its service once a month. The current one is glass so I can see the scaling on the bottom and if you’re in any doubt about cleaning - do it!

rosie28

I’ll recommend Breville ones - I love the current glass one!

Hands Up

We’ve had our kettle 15 years I think? It’s a Breville. What is this cleaning you speak of? Actually forget it, I like living in ignorance and none of us have died yet.

sne

My parents gave us a spare kettle they owned, 8.5 years ago.  It's a Kmart branded one. I don't drink hot drinks so seldom use it. However my husband and eldest both drink multiple hot drinks per day. It's still going strong.  I've never thought to clean the inside. The outside gets a wipe down when I do the bench.

Mumsyto2

Who recalls the yellow ceramic kettle with black lid that had an element in it you replaced? The kettles lived forever, you just replaced the element in them and it was easy diy stuff. Every household I knew had one but oddly I can’t when they were replaced by current style kettles. 

• Like 1

BBC

I generally need a new one when the ants get in and accidentally get boiled.

The taste just does not go away!

• Like 1

kimasa

My kettle is an 12yr old Kmart cheapie that is still going strong. The button to turn it on broke last year when I dropped it but a $5 donation to the local repair cafe had that sorted.

I give it a little wipe down inside when I'm cleaning the kitchen, it looks exactly the same inside as when I first bought it. 

Luci

By the sound of it you are all talking about electric kettles.  I have a stainless steel Alessi kettle that doesn't plug in - you heat it on the gas cooktop.  I received it as a wedding present over 20 years ago and it will probably last a lifetime.  However I have never cleaned inside or even thought about doing it - until I read this thread.  I am writing this while drinking a coffee and am not sure I am brave enough to take the lid off and have a look. Might be better off not knowing!!

spr_maiden
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Mumsyto2 said:

Who recalls the yellow ceramic kettle with black lid that had an element in it you replaced? The kettles lived forever, you just replaced the element in them and it was easy diy stuff. Every household I knew had one but oddly I can’t when they were replaced by current style 

This one?

We had one! Bit sad when I  realised mum didn't have it stored away anymore. 

Our kettle needs a regular vinegar boil clean,  hard water here. It's glass and I can't recall how many years we've had it. It does need to be replaced as it keeps leaking - probably best to not have near electric power point. I have been weighing up between one to match the blender and a variable temperature kettle. But,  honestly, the target kettles we usually buy are good enough. 

Screenshot_20200708-091555_Chrome.jpg

Edited by spr_maiden
To try out attaching images for once.

seayork2002
7 minutes ago, spr_maiden said:

This one?

We had one! Bit sad when I  realised mum didn't have it stored away anymore. 

Our kettle needs a regular vinegar boil clean,  hard water here. It's glass and I can't recall how many years we've had it. It does need to be replaced as it keeps leaking - probably best to not have near electric power point. I have been weighing up between one to match the blender and a variable temperature kettle. But,  honestly, the target kettles we usually buy are good enough. 

Screenshot_20200708-091555_Chrome.jpg

I used to help out at a motel that had heaps of them (years ago), we had one I think but I definitely remember them about I love them  

• Like 1

Jaffa donuts
On 03/07/2020 at 12:29 PM, Zippypeaks said:

Ugh, I made the mistake of buying a glass kettle. It looks filthy All. The. Time. Im waiting for it to break so I can replace it. 

I recently bought a glass kettle to replace our 20 year old one that was leaking. It lasted about 6 weeks before I banged it on the tap while filling it and smashed it, so just try being a bit careless and on can legitimately replace it

• Haha 2

born.a.girl
1 hour ago, seayork2002 said:

I used to help out at a motel that had heaps of them (years ago), we had one I think but I definitely remember them about I love them  

I remember them.   Fraying cords and all, it's a wonder we survived.   Our original ones had bakelite lids, and you could even get replacement lids when things were made in Australia.

• Like 1

SeaPrincess

I don’t even muck around with squeezing lemons - just cut it into wedges and throw it into the full kettle to boil. Learned it from a chemistry lecture sometime in the very distant past.....

EsmeLennox

I have a stove-top kettle. That sucker’s never gonna die,

can'tstayaway
6 hours ago, EsmeLennox said:

I have a stove-top kettle. That sucker’s never gonna die,

Lol  I’ve had to replace my camping billy a few times due to leaving it on too hot coals. 

Mumsyto2
On 08/07/2020 at 10:28 AM, born.a.girl said:

I remember them.   Fraying cords and all, it's a wonder we survived.   Our original ones had bakelite lids, and you could even get replacement lids when things were made in Australia.

Yes, that’s it. They did have bakelite lids for sure. You replaced the lid (rare), cord (every so often) and element (more common). All done at home. DIY. The thought of replacing would never enter anyone’s mind!

I remember ours was a little rounder and ridged in the body. There were different styles but all yellow with the black bakelite lids. I did have one when I moved out also but funnily can’t really recall that one but can vividly picture the one that graced our family kitchen for decades. No idea what happened to it. Wish I had it now :)

• Like 1

tothebeach
Posted (edited)
On 03/07/2020 at 11:48 AM, 22Fruitmincepies said:

I keep mine for as long as it’s working reliably and safely. I descale a few times a year, usually with vinegar. 

I’m dying for my kettle to die.  It’s an old one that was a handmedown from my parents.  A white Linda one.   I’ve had it for 7 years.   My parents probably had it for 10 years before.   It’s ugly but won’t die.   I look at kettle replacements but can’t justify it putting it into landfill.   

Eta: it has never occurred to me to clean it it side. 

Edited by tothebeach

22Fruitmincepies
1 hour ago, tothebeach said:

I’m dying for my kettle to die.  It’s an old one that was a handmedown from my parents.  A white Linda one.   I’ve had it for 7 years.   My parents probably had it for 10 years before.   It’s ugly but won’t die.   I look at kettle replacements but can’t justify it putting it into landfill.   

Eta: it has never occurred to me to clean it it side. 

Mine gets really noisy, so then i know it needs descaling. I descaled it the other day thanks to this thread reminding me. 

~LemonMyrtle~
On 09/07/2020 at 11:15 PM, 22Fruitmincepies said:

Mine gets really noisy, so then i know it needs descaling. I descaled it the other day thanks to this thread reminding me. 

Yeah, I only clean ours cause it gets too noisy When it has a bit of stuff on the element. I’m in Melbourne and we don’t get a lot of scale on things.  Not even sure it is scale that I scrub off. It’s brown, looks like burnt in stuff. 

SeaPrincess
1 hour ago, ~LemonMyrtle~ said:

Yeah, I only clean ours cause it gets too noisy When it has a bit of stuff on the element. I’m in Melbourne and we don’t get a lot of scale on things.  Not even sure it is scale that I scrub off. It’s brown, looks like burnt in stuff. 

That’s scale. Stop scrubbing and boil a lemon in there!