Sign in to follow this  
LipStick

Show me your skylights

LipStick

My house is quite dark and I am looking into getting some skylights. who here has skylights and was it worth it for you? Picture please for inspo!

can'tstayaway

Sorry, no pics because we don’t have any in the current house. 

There’s a few different types of skylights. Tube type ones that look a bit like fluorescent lights inside, pretty glass window types and others in between. Budget is usually the major difference. 

have you looked at Houzz for ideas?  I had a house with a long internal hallway. It was always dark and dim until we put skylights in. It was a single storey house and it made a real difference to the light levels. I vaguely remember the installers talking about making sure we diffused the light so it wouldn’t be like a magnifying glass/hot house. 

• Like 1

Bereckii

Not our current house (so no pics), but we had skylights similar to this in two rooms of a previous house: 

https://www.velux.com.au/products/skylights/vs manual skylight

It lets the light in. And can also be opened (like a window) to allow air flow. Ours opened manually, but they also have electric ones. It comes with a flyscreen, so you get the benefit of airflow and no bugs. Loved it!

• Like 1

LipStick

Thanks everyone, will have to do some research I think as there seems to be alot of different types of skylight. 

Lesley225
Posted (edited)

Never seen led light skylights before.  They look lovely and would really suit house 

Edited by Lesley225

AJPM

We did the rounds of some display homes the other day and we liked these.

9A02A01C-A83D-4B5F-8753-70437D92E80E.jpeg

759507E6-8B6C-41A4-8AB4-D881278DDD60.jpeg

~LemonMyrtle~

My sister has one of these fake, solar powered, sky lights in her kitchen. It’s great, really brightened the whole kitchen, and no issues with roof leaks or dirt etc. It brightens and fades with the sun so it really feels like a real opaque sky light

https://illumeskylights.com.au

• Like 1

Romeo Void

I've had solar tubes (both flexible aluminium tube type and the fixed shiny metal type), and I also currently have a velux skylight in the bathroom.  The flexi tube ones are rubbish, I can tell you from having both types within a few feet of eachother.  I suspect the wrinkly tube doesn't direct light as well as the fixed mirror finished tube.  The fixed mirror type are *wonderful* in my experience.  If you're going with this type my advice is to go big or go home LOL.  I installed two of the largest  available 15 years ago in my hallway and the hall is a sunlit oasis.  
We currently have the velux skylight in our bathroom and I love this also.  It's so beautiful to be able to look up and see the moon at night.  With these ones be careful you don't install on the wrong side of your roof as you may be blinded with direct light. Ours is on the south pitch of the roof (which worried me as I thought we'd get no light) and what we do get is gentle natural light without sun shinning directly into the room.

• Like 1

Romeo Void
Posted (edited)

These are the two types of solar tubes I'm talking about. The wrinkly ones just aren't as good.SOLATUBE SKYLIGHTS | Solar tubes, Solar lights, Solar tube lighting
image.jpeg.a2c3c70d27437c5195185b4e3a8bbb5e.jpeg

Edited by Romeo Void
  • Like 2

Charli73

I have a tube one in the hallway and a velux opening one in the kitchen... A velux one that has a motor would’ve been better than the hand winder that came with it. Unfortunately the old owner installed slightly lower than where it should be so for years it leaked until a decent tradie figured it out for us and fixed the flashing. I would never attempt to install myself.

LipStick

Thank you so much for the replies!

*Marty*

I got one like Romeo Void's pic for our dark, dingy laundry. The difference it has made is amazing. I am forever growling that someone left the light on because the room is so bright. Boring light fitting on the ceiling but that doesn't bother me, if it was in a hi use room I might have something more attractive

• Like 1

YodaTheWrinkledOne

We had one like RV's in an internal bathroom in a rental. It was brilliant. In our current house, we are thinking of doing the same for our own bathrooms, as they are on the south side of the house and we often have to turn on a light, even in the middle of the day. We don't need to have an opening or anything like that, we just want some additional light.