Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ytt

new diagnosis, celiac at nearly 18

Recommended Posts

ytt
19 hours ago, Paddlepop said:

Definitely check the medication. Use the website I linked in my post earlier in the thread. DH was having to rush the toilet within half an hour of taking his Ritalin. We stupidly didn't think to check the ingredients and the GP put it down to the stimulating effects of it on the gut. He stopped taking it a few months ago (just on Dex instead) and the upset tummy disappeared. Went back on it recently. Instant upset stomach. Finally checked the ingredients and yep, gluten. The alternative medication, Ritalin LA, is GF but isn't subsidised on the PBS for adults diagnosed with ADHD in adulthood but the gluten containing short acting Ritalin is subsidised for adults diagnosed in adulthood. Now we've gone from paying about $6 (HCC) for a month of Ritalin to $45 for 2 weeks of Ritalin LA. Psychiatrist can't even write a script for the dose of Ritalin LA that DH actually needs but can write a script for his dose in the gluten version. Bloody stupid. 

Definitely check the ingredients and never ever believe a pharmacist who tells you that it's gluten free. Always insist on a print out of the CMI containing the ingredients or insist on seeing the packaging so you can see for yourself that it's labelled as gluten free by the manufacturer. I've encountered issues numerous times in pharmacies when checking for gluten and lactose. 

Thanks for the tip.... off now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ytt

We had appointment today not only is DD celiac she is also lactose intolerant. A polyp was removed and was benign and there was extensive damage from reflux.

So now DD is on a gluten free, lactose free and low acidic diet. She came home and took her puppy to bed, she is feeling very down about it, though she did enjoy her baked vegetables and steak for dinner when DS and I ate bolognese which was on the menu. 

Wait 6 weeks for another blood test then visit gastro to see how everything is going. 

And great news DS has agreed to get tested, gastro said it's very important he is tested and I told him about lymphoma risk.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not Escapin Xmas

Not being able to eat tomato or cheese is really tough. I totally get it as I’m in the same boat. I do eat butter though, and just put up with the consequences. 

Here’s my newest GF/DF pizza recipe she might like to try. It’s a big hit in this house, even DH happily eats it. And the dough lasts for weeks in the fridge.

GF/dairy free potato pizza

 

Turn oven onto fan forced and maximum temperature. Put pizza stone in to heat up.

 

Pizza base (this makes 2 bases, I save the other for later):

  • 420g GF plain flour
  • 2 1/4 tsp Xanthum gum
  • 6g sugar
  • 9g salt
  • 70g oil
  • 250g luke warm water
  • 9g yeast

 

Mix everything until it comes together in a ball (roughly). Oil, stick in bowl, gladwrap or teatowel on top, leave to prove. 

 

Potato topping (for 1 pizza, double if using both bases):

  • 1 large potato - mandolinned into slices on thinnest setting (or use a food processor)
  • 1 clove garlic
  • Pinch salt
  • Sprig of rosemary, finely diced
  • Good slug oil (I use rice bran but you can use olive oil, I‘ll allow it...)
  • 1/4 cup mayo (homemade if you live in my house!)

 

Mix everything (EXCEPT MAYO!) together in a bowl.

 

Cooking:

  1. Cut dough in half. Stick other half in fridge, tightly wrapped in gladwrap to use another day.
  2. Kneed a couple of times and then roll out nice and thin. 2-3 mm is good.
  3. Carefully move onto pizza stone without tearing base too much or burning your fingers.
  4. Cook base for 5 minutes.
  5. Pull out (I take it out on the stone), spoon on mayo, then dump on topping and spread out.
  6. Back in oven for another 5 minutes.
  7. Take out and rest for a few minutes.
  8. Slice up and enjoy :)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mumsyto2
20 hours ago, ytt said:

DS who is anti GF hasn't even reaslied he has been eating gluten free lol, although I have bought him 'normal' bread.

That’s great but I wouldn’t get too carried away with GF with your DS if he needs to be tested. You want a true test. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PrincessPeach

Poor kid.

May I also recommend checking any medication she is taking doesn’t include lactose as well?

Lactose is in an insane number of medications - even ones you don’t expect like asthma inhalers!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ytt

 

1 hour ago, Not Escapin Xmas said:

Not being able to eat tomato or cheese is really tough. I totally get it as I’m in the same boat. I do eat butter though, and just put up with the consequences. 

Here’s my newest GF/DF pizza recipe she might like to try. It’s a big hit in this house, even DH happily eats it. And the dough lasts for weeks in the fridge.

GF/dairy free potato pizza

 

Turn oven onto fan forced and maximum temperature. Put pizza stone in to heat up.

 

Pizza base (this makes 2 bases, I save the other for later):

  • 420g GF plain flour
  • 2 1/4 tsp Xanthum gum
  • 6g sugar
  • 9g salt
  • 70g oil
  • 250g luke warm water
  • 9g yeast

 

Mix everything until it comes together in a ball (roughly). Oil, stick in bowl, gladwrap or teatowel on top, leave to prove. 

 

Potato topping (for 1 pizza, double if using both bases):

  • 1 large potato - mandolinned into slices on thinnest setting (or use a food processor)
  • 1 clove garlic
  • Pinch salt
  • Sprig of rosemary, finely diced
  • Good slug oil (I use rice bran but you can use olive oil, I‘ll allow it...)
  • 1/4 cup mayo (homemade if you live in my house!)

 

Mix everything (EXCEPT MAYO!) together in a bowl.

 

Cooking:

  1. Cut dough in half. Stick other half in fridge, tightly wrapped in gladwrap to use another day.
  2. Kneed a couple of times and then roll out nice and thin. 2-3 mm is good.
  3. Carefully move onto pizza stone without tearing base too much or burning your fingers.
  4. Cook base for 5 minutes.
  5. Pull out (I take it out on the stone), spoon on mayo, then dump on topping and spread out.
  6. Back in oven for another 5 minutes.
  7. Take out and rest for a few minutes.
  8. Slice up and enjoy :)

 

OMG I love the 'traditional pizza' ! so worth it. But we found out today the mayo we have been using has gluten in it!! we checked it due to lactose, eeekkkk major mistake

1 hour ago, Mumsyto2 said:

That’s great but I wouldn’t get too carried away with GF with your DS if he needs to be tested. You want a true test. 

yes I did think that and I'm making sure he is eating plenty of gluten and he is happy lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not Escapin Xmas

Mayo is often full of all kinds of rubbish. So annoying!!! I can’t have lemon or mustard so make my own. The secret is whole eggs at room temp, not fridge.

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon citric acid

2 Tbsp water

2 eggs.

blend all that with stick mixer until fluffy.

Then slowly stream in 480ml oil (rice bran here) with stick blender going full speed.

its delicious and I know exactly what’s in it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddlepop

No need for her to go without cheese! Liddells make a lactose free cheese that tastes like normal cheese. It's made from cow's milk with the lactase enzyme added to get rid of the lactose. It's about $6 for a 250g block. Watch out for the grated version of it. There's something in there that sets off my stomach. From memory it's not labelled as GF. 

Is DD on any antacid medication like Zantac or Losec? Reflux sucks. I'm on two different reflux meds to keep it under control. 

Praise 99% fat free mayo is GF and LF if you're after a store bought mayo:

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/128900/praise-99-fat-free-mayonnaise

Nuttelex has a variety of great GF LF margarines. I personally like the Buttery one, my DD likes the Original, and DH likes the Olive one. We're all GF but I'm the only one who has to be LF. 

Some brands of soy milk contain gluten. Beware of that especially if DD is getting coffee or a milkshake or similar and they offer her the option of soy milk. She'll need to check the ingredient label on the soy milk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ytt
On 11/07/2020 at 8:32 PM, Paddlepop said:

No need for her to go without cheese! Liddells make a lactose free cheese that tastes like normal cheese. It's made from cow's milk with the lactase enzyme added to get rid of the lactose. It's about $6 for a 250g block. Watch out for the grated version of it. There's something in there that sets off my stomach. From memory it's not labelled as GF. 

Is DD on any antacid medication like Zantac or Losec? Reflux sucks. I'm on two different reflux meds to keep it under control. 

Praise 99% fat free mayo is GF and LF if you're after a store bought mayo:

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/128900/praise-99-fat-free-mayonnaise

Nuttelex has a variety of great GF LF margarines. I personally like the Buttery one, my DD likes the Original, and DH likes the Olive one. We're all GF but I'm the only one who has to be LF. 

Some brands of soy milk contain gluten. Beware of that especially if DD is getting coffee or a milkshake or similar and they offer her the option of soy milk. She'll need to check the ingredient label on the soy milk.

No we weren't told to go on medication, I think because we are going GF LF??? might ask the gp in our appointment as I didn't think to ask it during the gastro appointment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...