Sign in to follow this  
2_little_boys

Advice needed (Managing Money forum)

2_little_boys
Posted (edited)

Sadly my last parent passed away recently.

Once all is said and done we will inherit around $35k.

$15k will go towards debt we have.  We have a uBank account that we deposit into every week for a savings buffer (currently only at $2500 after a bathroom reno).

But I'm sure there are better options for the money.  My only issue is I don't want it locked in somewhere and really do not want shares.

Money gurus - What would be our best option?

Thanks

ETA - we do have a mortgage and I'm guessing putting it there would be the best but I need to check to see that we can access it if/when we need to

Edited by 2_little_boys
added detail

Murderino

If you have a mortgage I would absolutely sit on the mortgage either in offset (or redraw if you can access it when you need it).

If you actually want to invest it then I would find a fee for service financial advisor for advise in investments with a good return.

• Like 1

laridae

Yes, either having it offset or in redraw on your mortgage is the best option. You save interest on your mortgage and going to be a higher rate than any high interest savings account you can find. Plus you don't earn interest so won't need to pay tax on interest.

• Like 2

~*~blizzy~*~

Not all banks offer redraw or offset, especially if you have taken advantage of the great fixed rates at the moment, and some banks even charge for a Redraw on a variable 🤬

if you don’t have the option of redraw Or variable savings account may be the safest option with very minimal return as interest rates so low. 

• Like 1