Riotproof

Fort nite..

Riotproof

Appreciate any opinions. I’m just musing. 

• Like 1

wallofdodo
20 minutes ago, Riotproof said:

I’m confused by the idea that it’s not bad violence because there is no gore. 
does that not encourage, even subtly the thinking that there aren’t consequences for shooting? So you shoot and your victims disappear? 
Also disagree that ref characters don’t have a human appearance. 

I kinda agree, and often remind my kids how it is not real life, people get hurt and killed by guns, and physical violence. 

• Like 1

Jenflea

I play Wow, as does DH and now DD plays it. We never played obsessively like some did, never 12 hour binges or missing work etc for it. 

It's changed a lot in recent years though, you don't tend to have raids that go for HOURS every night or whatever. 

I won't let her play Roblox as a while back things were coming out about pedophiles joining the game and having 'naked' skins and simulating sexual acts etc in the game. I don't like open servers or not knowing people in the game.  

WoW has a plot, it has lore, it has monsters and little to no blood/gore and you can put on language controls etc so DD(10) doesn't see any swearing.  She doesn't add anyone to friends list and she shares my acct anyway.  Computer games (and board games) have been great at improving her literacy skills and maths skills too. 

Fort Nite she hasn't really asked to play. 

• Like 1

Pooks_

My 8yo plays it and is awesome at it, he has been playing for a couple of years. He’s been playing it heaps over iso with his mates, usually he doesn’t play much at all, I’ve bought him some vbux which seems reasonable as he doesn’t play much except online, and we’re into another month of iso now. I bought his sister a doll for the same reason.

It’s honestly the least of my worries. 

• Like 6

Riotproof
21 minutes ago, Jenflea said:

I play Wow, as does DH and now DD plays it. We never played obsessively like some did, never 12 hour binges or missing work etc for it. 

It's changed a lot in recent years though, you don't tend to have raids that go for HOURS every night or whatever. 

I won't let her play Roblox as a while back things were coming out about pedophiles joining the game and having 'naked' skins and simulating sexual acts etc in the game. I don't like open servers or not knowing people in the game.  

WoW has a plot, it has lore, it has monsters and little to no blood/gore and you can put on language controls etc so DD(10) doesn't see any swearing.  She doesn't add anyone to friends list and she shares my acct anyway.  Computer games (and board games) have been great at improving her literacy skills and maths skills too. 

Fort Nite she hasn't really asked to play. 

@Jenflea they haven’t had a problem like that in ages, I think they seriously tightened the security up because roblox really is for kids. No one else wants to play the games. It can be a really moneymaker if you develop a popular enough game though, I imagine. 

Riotproof
15 minutes ago, PooksLikeChristmas said:

It’s honestly the least of my worries. 

All opinions welcome, but are you trying to be snarky? It is okay for people to have different concerns and priorities, and to even ask questions that aren’t important to you. 

Pooks_

No snark at all, I’m just in a hellish situation, but thanks for that response. Reminds me why I haven’t bothered reaching out here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Mrs Zee
11 minutes ago, PooksLikeChristmas said:

No snark at all, I’m just in a hellish situation, but thanks for that response. Reminds me why I haven’t bothered reaching out here. 

Reach out Pooks.

• Like 6

Riotproof
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, PooksLikeChristmas said:

Reminds me why I haven’t bothered reaching out here. 

Funny, that’s what I thought when I read your response. 

Hope you are okay. 

Edited by Riotproof

Etta

DS has played it since about grade 5. In the last 4 years he has killed lots of people in the game but so far no spill over into real life. It is good fun and plenty of team work. During lockdown it was a good way to keep in touch with friends. We have had neighbourhood nerf wars and have also played laser tag. These games are all about taking out the enemy. Killing in a game is not killing IRL. In Fortnite the players sometimes even ask their friends to kill them - something about getting points or going to a higher level or something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Pooks_
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Riotproof said:

Funny, that’s what I thought when I read your response. 

Hope you are okay. 

I told you I wasn’t being snarky. Stop bellyaching and give people the benefit of the doubt for a moment while we’re in the midst of a global pandemic. ****sakes. 

And hope you’re okay too hun. 

Edited by PooksLikeChristmas

JustBeige

It was a no in our household when DS was under 13.

I have always liked Commonsense Media site for unbiased opinions and reviews  https://www.commonsensemedia.org

• Like 2

doubting thomas
19 hours ago, PooksLikeChristmas said:

Hi Pooks. I was just about to start a thread about all the people who seem to have gone missing, as I wondered whether people have changed name or just left,  and you were on my list. Hope things improve. I gather you are in one of those Melbourne suburbs. That sucks. While I am here in my best Bueller, Bueller voice. "Lucrezia, Lucrezia ?". 

**Xena**
Posted (edited)

My eldest son played for awhile and my middle son tried it once but didn't enjoy it. My eldest son became bored of it after a few months of playing. 

I don't have issues with them playing violent games depending on the circumstances. I play heaps of games that have violence in them, as does my husband and kids  and none of us are violent people at all. Many studies have shown that video games don't cause violence, just that violent people are more likely to be attracted to violent games.

In saying that my husband recently got a game banned in Australia because that one was really inappropriate so we don't think all games and violence is appropriate. We do take the context of the violence into account.  I don't find the last man standing type games that bad though as it's on equal footing. No sex, gender, sexuality or race etc is specifically targetted. Given I let them read and watch Hunger Games I don't find it that much different to be honest. 

Edited by **Xena**
  • Like 2

Emm27
On 02/07/2020 at 8:24 AM, Popper said:

It is a big no in our household too.

- Violent

- Addictive

- Constant pressure to spend $ in the game

We have a switch and the kids are allowed to play on weekends only games like Mario Kart instead.

We have friends who have young boys playing 12 hours a day. That was enough to make us never want to start.

This is our house too. I have an 11 year old and a 9 year old and we are pretty much known as the “Amish” family in our circle of friends because our kids have such limited screen time. But I see so much conflict in their houses over devices that I’m in absolutely no hurry to change things in our house. 

• Like 1

Redchick2

I was really  anti fort nite because I had read about the violence and addictiveness of the game. But then lockdown came along and the boys said it would be a good way to play it friends. I agreed (with limits on time- which was fine because we’ve always had consistent rules about devices) and I must say the game involves a lot more than I thought. They play with friends and it seems to be a lot more about strategy than just shoot anything that moves. 
The constant talk about fortnite does drive me insane and decisions about v bucks but for the latter I treat it the same way as any purchase they want. I figure I can’t keep them away from all these sorts of these so they have to learn how manage them appropriately. 

• Like 4

spr_maiden

My children don't play it.  I was not open to it for so long because (a) I'm not proficient in online gaming myself so have no idea how to set private only games - though the kids/DH could teach me I realise now(b) their ages though eldest is now probably at age for it (c) a child we were close to became addicted and suicidal from the bullying (started at 9yrs). 

I'd be open to it for the 10 year old with boundaries in place, but they are mostly still into Minecraft and lego marvel. They do like battlefront which some may not agree with, though he is limited for playing partners besides a friend and DH so doesn't play often.  He also plays horizon zero dawn sometimes. It's a really good game - beautiful graphics,  female character, killing machine animals (if people are killed in later stages,  he's yet to reach that level because it's a hard game), lots of exploring and practice missions.

So,  I think similar to most online things, there is most likely a line that we're all comfortable with re fortnite. But,  until it's on their radar,  I won't introduce it. 

RE video game and violence research - I think recent research has landed on context being important; debriefing and age/gender can play a part in mitigating any effects. 

Disclaimer: I haven't read up on it in a few years.

• Like 1