FeralZombieMum

APS 4 job - probabtion period?

FeralZombieMum
Posted (edited)

Is there a probation period for someone who lands an APS 4 job? If so, how long?

Also, how long would it take for them to begin work after being offered the job over the phone.

Edited by FeralZombieMum

Di-NO-ZO

I recently started in an APS role, not 4 but probably the same across grades.  Probation period was 6 months.

Start date was negotiated when the offer was made.  It varies for everyone because it depends on whether the department needs the role filled asap or at a date in the future and what commitments the new hire has.  They wanted me to start asap, trying to push for 2 weeks or less, but I had to give 4 weeks notice at my old job and wanted a short break in between so negotiated 5.5 weeks til start.

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef

My experience with government is it can take ages to be offered a start date , and also that you cant take it as a done deal until you have the contract in your hands.  Sorry didn't want to be negative but know people who got the job over the phone then the position was withdrawn. 

Lesley225

Budgets and plans can change very quickly.

FiveAus

The probation period is always 6 months.

• Like 1

Dianalynch

The aps traditionally uses the longest probation period they can legally use, which is 6 months. (Unless it was an internal promotion, then there is no probation period) 

I have known the aps to take months to send a letter of offer - and when they do they often want people straight away, They’ll try it on however they’ll always be open to allowing you to serve a notice period with your current employer. 

Babetty

6 months' probation is common. It's really hard to get rid of someone after that time! 

FeralZombieMum
8 hours ago, MadMarchMasterchef said:

My experience with government is it can take ages to be offered a start date , and also that you cant take it as a done deal until you have the contract in your hands.  Sorry didn't want to be negative but know people who got the job over the phone then the position was withdrawn. 

Yeah that's what I thought.  My coworker received a phone call at work and she put in her resignation immediately after that. I think that's rather foolish, and I'd never do that unless I had signed paper work and had a firm start date.

I don't think she'll last in the new job - I've seen the position description and there is no way she remotely has those skills. She is also quite lazy and annoying - so I guess 6 months is ample time for that to be noticed. ;) I am looking forward to when she goes and I am counting down the days. :)