tweedle-dee

Lump in breast, awaiting tests

tweedle-dee

Hi, I'm reaching out here to help 'try' and keep my anxiety in check over the next week or 2.  Long story short, during my last cycle one of my breasts felt 'different', the different feeling changed over the course of a week or so...not worse, just different. So I made a GP appt. By the day of the appt, I was almost going to cancel as everything felt normal again, but I went anyway.

Well, during appt she felt a lump that I hadn't felt (now that I know it's there I'm wondering how I missed it), and she has referred me for mammogram and u/sound. That's not for another week from now, so naturally while everything is a waiting game, I'm panicking and thinking the worst (while trying to stay off Dr Google!)

I'm trying to encourage myself that I have no family history of breast cancer, I had mammogram and u/sound just under 12 months ago and there were no dramas then, and another GP check up earlier this year, so am hoping that if this is 'something', it's early.

Right now, it's a bit like when TTC I analysed each and every twitch and niggle...or when I'm looking to buy a new red car, I suddenly see red cars everywhere cause that's what I'm thinking of. So right now, I'm not sure if things feel sore / different cause they actually are, or if I'm feeling things that aren't  there as that is ALL I'm thinking about right now. 

So just putting it out there, looking for some good news stories to help me get through the next week or 

Thankyou fellow EB'ers! 

born.a.girl

All I can say is you should reassure yourself that your reaction is normal.  To not give a damn, even if the risk is slight, would be unnatural. Probably not much help, but I always find that sort of thinking useful.

I got a recall after a mammogram, which said 90% of people it turns out to be nothing, and I spent 90% of my time assuring myself it was nothing, and 10% convinced it was.  Didn't help that I got called in three further times for another mammogram from a different angle during the callback appointment at the hospital, and was feeling pretty unsure by that time. (Turned out to be a  couple of cysts.)

The nurse there asked me if I knew where it was, and I wasn't (no doctor's appointment prior) and she said that women come in covered in bruises trying to find the lump themselves, so rest assured some anxiety to do with this is absolutely normal.

Maybe you could do what they say to do with bad relationships that have ended, that you hanker after.  Give it five minutes of your day.Any other time it floats into your head just say 'not your time, I've got other things to think about, I'll do you later!'.

Best wishes for the rest of the week!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

.Jerry.

If you are looking for "it was nothing stories", I have one. :)

From a routine mammogram a lump was found.  Sent for follow up.  Even I could see the lump on the ultrasound.  Had fine needle biopsy which was very difficult,  Doctor struggled to get sample and said basically  that it wasn't a good sign.  

Ended up benign. 

My last mammogram was fine - no change to the lump that is still there.

• Like 1

Caitlin Happymeal

My situation is probably not quite the same, but hopefully another "it was nothing" story will help? If nothing else, I can give you some solidarity in how much I was freaking out just a few weeks ago.. 

I noticed a sort of rash on one of mine about a year and a bit ago. Even though I work in cancer care, pagets disease isn't something we see much of so it wasn't on my radar as such, but I had read of an EBer who's had it. So I had knowledge that a simple little rash on my areola could indeed be a type of cancer. 

GP sent me for an ultrasound, +-a biopsy if they thought it necessary based on what they saw on ultrasound. Well, that went fine and no abnormalities detected. Anyway, here we are, a few months ago, and I notice it's spread. So back to the Gp I go, who this time was suitably cautious and did a biopsy herself. 

Spent the next week stressing, fluctuating between freaking out and looking at my health cover to make sure I was covered. 

Anyway, I got a text from the practice saying I needed to see the GP re my results. Well, that was it, I was sure it was baaaadd news. Saw the GP and she asked how I was, and I said "I'm really anxious about these results". 

That's when she says... "didn't they tell you over the phone that it's just dermatitis? I left them a note to let you know!" 

I get the anxiety. I really really hope for the best outcome for you and that you are also in the "it was nothing" category. Take care and like b.a.g says, you're totally human for being worried about it. Be really kind to yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dianalynch

I had breast pain, ultra sound found lots of small lumps, biopsy of the 2 largest were benign, Turns out I have around 28 fibroadenoma which for now are okay, I just need regular ultra sounds to keep an eye on them. 

• Like 2

Luci

I found a lump a few years ago.  I had an ultrasound and it was a simple cyst that went away by itself.  At the time I had a new born baby, a toddler and an older child and was very worried so I understand how you feel.   Sending you my very best wishes OP xx

• Thanks 1

tweedle-dee

Thank you everyone. I haven't told anyone in real life at this stage, so knowing others are able to share some reassuring stories is helping a little.

I'm liking the idea of giving myself 5 mins to fret, and then to try and push the thoughts away. That is something I'll try.. starting tnite! 

• Like 2

Luci

I am a bit of a worrier. I have sometimes told myself that worrying won't actually help the problem - all it will do is make me feel worse. I know though that the waiting for an appointment or test results etc can be a tough time so be kind to yourself OP.  

• Like 1

Gruffalo's Child

Oh OP, I feel for you.   I have  fibrocystic breasts so have been having yearly checks for years now and have had multiple fine needle and core biopsies for lumps that have all been benign - some were cysts, some fibroadenomas and some were blocked milk ducts.     Despite the fact that I've been where you are numerous times, it's never easy waiting for the testing or the results.   What helps me is to talk with someone I trust about how I'm feeling and to do what I can to distract myself.   I'll take myself to a movie, go out for coffee, binge a series on Netflix.      

Wishing you all the best OP, I hope this week goes quickly for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FeralZombieMum
3 hours ago, tweedle-dee said:

I'm trying to encourage myself that I have no family history of breast cancer, I had mammogram and u/sound just under 12 months ago and there were no dramas then, and another GP check up earlier this year, so am hoping that if this is 'something', it's early.

I think it's a good idea to focus on that - the positive, rather than the negative.

I found a lump a few years ago, but my breasts were also painful - it was like I had mastitis. Turned out to cysts - which is quite common. I have a lot in both breasts. After the mammogram, I was lucky to be shown the images on their screen - it helped me know where my cysts were. I then had an ultrasound. The woman who did my mammogram was surprised I was having pain in only one breast, as it had a lot less cysts than the other one.

The next year I  had a new lump appear. Got checked out again, but as I'd had a mammogram 18 months earlier, they wanted to avoid it if possible, and I just had an ultrasound, which was able to show it was a new cyst.

Hopefully it's something annoying like that .

• Thanks 1

DQMission

Oh, OP, it’s not easy, is it? Like you, I try not to think much further than getting the testing done but every now and then my mind will go to possible negative outcomes. It’s not distressing as such, just unhelpful. I’m about to have two biopsies tomorrow (not breast) and despite some concerning words being used by the doctor I am doing my best not to give it too much brain time. Even then, I have wondered, if either of them come back positive what happens next. I think it’s pretty natural to have those thoughts. Dwelling on them and/or it causing significant distress might indicate the need for help in processing your feelings. 

last year I had a lump checked. Was referred for scans. During scans I was asked some questions which made me suspicious they were worried about something. Further scans were done and a consultant was called in to review. I was then asked to return later that same day for biopsies on different lumps in both of my breasts, with one side only needing an FNA and the other requiring a more invasive punch biopsy. During one of the biopsies, I was told there were some concerns as there was blood in a cyst which can be an indication of something wrong. The imaging mentioned jagged edges, immobile masses and other indications of something suspicious, The extra consultations during the scans and the urgency of the biopsies definitely had me worried. I tried not to think about and tried not to get ahead of myself and thought I was doing ok until I got a phone call the next evening from my gp. I thought an after hours call and one so quickly afterwards could only be bad news. When he told me everything was ok I nearly cried. I hadn’t realised how worried I had been. I had lots of good reasons to be worried, but even then it all turned out ok. I hope that helps to reassure you if you get any extra attention during the scans or if things move quickly and that makes you scared. Hopefully it’s just an indication of a thorough and conscientious medical team. :)  word to the wise though - punch biopsies hurt!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tweedle-dee
11 hours ago, Yippee-Ki-Yay said:

I’m about to have two biopsies tomorrow

YKY, thank you for your detailed and grounded response to my OP.  And good luck to you today with your testing.

• Like 1

DQMission

I just thought the detail of what can happen during the process might help in case you worry that it means bad news. Let us know how you go.  

• Like 1

MooGuru
16 hours ago, Gruffalo's Child said:

Oh OP, I feel for you.   I have  fibrocystic breasts so have been having yearly checks for years now and have had multiple fine needle and core biopsies for lumps that have all been benign - some were cysts, some fibroadenomas and some were blocked milk ducts.     Despite the fact that I've been where you are numerous times, it's never easy waiting for the testing or the results.   What helps me is to talk with someone I trust about how I'm feeling and to do what I can to distract myself.   I'll take myself to a movie, go out for coffee, binge a series on Netflix.      

Wishing you all the best OP, I hope this week goes quickly for you.

Very similar for me. It's a bit of a running joke now that if it wasn't for all the cysts and the fibroadenoma I'd be flatter than a pancake. The sonographer sighed and said "Urgh you've got such an annoying amount of cysts to measure" last time (same sonographer every year). 

Despite all that, everytime i feel a change or it hurts or I'm awaiting results I still get nervous thinking "what if..." I use distraction and also allow myself to have five minutes to worry then push it aside. 

Good luck.

• Like 2

Demera
Posted (edited)

Quite a few years ago I had two small lumps checked out, and they were cysts that were nothing to worry about. They eventually went away.

Then while pregnant three years ago, I noticed quite a large lump that was getting larger fairly rapidly.  Ultrasound indicated fibroidenoma (sp?) and biopsy agreed.  Surgery was scheduled for 3 weeks after I was due to give birth, but thankfully it was rescheduled to 10 weeks post birth.   I wish that I had delayed until after I had finished breastfeeding, but the surgeon really wanted to take it out due to size (over 3cm). 

Anyway, it turned out to be a galactocele (milk cyst) and really never needed to be removed at all.  I had a 5cm hole that kept refilling with milk.  I had it drained a couple of times, but then the surgeon said to just leave it alone.  It settled to another 3cm lump, so I'm back to where I was and now my boob is much larger than the other due to all of the post-surgery swelling combined with breastfeeding.  Hopefully it might balance back once I finish feeding baby number two, but it's three years post surgery so I don't know.

So, bit of a long story, but completely benign!!  

Edited by Demera
  • Like 1