hills mum bec

Kitchen Renovation Budget

hills mum bec

We are contemplating a kitchen renovation.  I hate everything about our current kitchen.  Not enough bench space, not enough cupboard space, the corner cupboard from hell, cheap and nasty cabinetry and benches, the list goes on.  One option is DH's preferred option is to keep the layout similar but extend it out slightly into our dining area giving us more bench and cupboard space.  We would still have nightmare corner cupboard and sink, oven would stay in the same place.  My preferred idea is to do away with the dining area completely and extend the kitchen all the way into the dining area with a large island bench and stools for casual dining and then convert our rumpus room (currently next to the kitchen/dining) into a dining room.  Oven would stay in the same place but plumbing for sink would have to be moved and the dining room window would have to be modified but best of all, no corner cupboard.  DH agrees that would be an amazing kitchen but is worried about price and doesn't want to get a quote as it would be a waste of time.  So EB, how much does a full kitchen reno cost these days?  We did one in our old house 13 years ago and cost about $12K which would be well within our budget but I'm thinking prices might have gone up a bit since then.

Kiwi Bicycle

My medium sized kitchen with caesarstone bench tops, tiled backsplash and all trades came in at $32k with appliances, but it also included a small laundry and powder room, so excluding that so maybe more like $ 27k? We used a major kitchen company so if we tried a smaller cabinetry place it might of been cheaper.

• Like 1

hills mum bec
1 minute ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

My medium sized kitchen with caesarstone bench tops, tiled backsplash and all trades came in at $32k with appliances, but it also included a small laundry and powder room, so excluding that so maybe more like $ 27k? We used a major kitchen company so if we tried a smaller cabinetry place it might of been cheaper.

Thanks.  Wouldn't need appliances as ours are quite new.  I would also be fine with laminex benchtops over stone if it means getting the layout I want and then maybe replace with stone down the track.

• Like 1

Sancti-claws

It does depend on what you are after - we got a kitchen installed for just shy of $8k - the old kitchen is in a different part of the house so shifted plumbing but dismantling is still on DH's to do list - and we didn't structurally alter any walls or windows.  I am in love with it, but it is all comparative.

Oh - and the corner cupboard has two lazy susans and is a lovely hidden pantry.

Kiwi Bicycle
16 hours ago, hills mum bec said:

Thanks.  Wouldn't need appliances as ours are quite new.  I would also be fine with laminex benchtops over stone if it means getting the layout I want and then maybe replace with stone down the track.

That could be false economy as if you have a backsplash it will have to be removed ( and possibly damaged while removing) to get the benchtop out. You also have to have a substrate installed to support the stone. So add costs  old backsplash, new backsplash, tiling costs, old laminate bench, new stone bench, bench substrate plus labour and it is better off do it once, do it right.

Sentient Puddle

The more plumbing and appliances you shift the more it will cost due to getting trades etc.  If you want to move the kitchen layout then you will need to consult a builder or a kitchen company that handles more than just the cabinetry.  I would also not put in a cheaper benchtop then replace it later as the tile or backsplash would have to come out to replace it or risk having it damaged. 

It is really a how long is a piece of string type question?  Which type of cabinets would you want?  Vinyl wrap or 2Pac?  Do you want cupboards or drawers or both?  Cupboards are much cheaper as they don't have the same amount of hardware involved.  Most kitchen companies will quote for free - there are some that charge but if you go with them then the charge comes off the quote.  We did a majorish kitchen reno just over a year ago but moved all appliances and sink and plumbed in a fridge - opened up a wall slightly, closed off a wall slightly and splashed out on the appliances, new flooring etc - so ours came in at just under $50.  If we just went with a new kitchen in vinyl wrap in the old space with base appliances, no or minimal drawers then we could have had a new and very nice kitchen for about $20 but to us just renewing the old layout wasn't worth the time and effort as our old kitchen was ok and still functional despite being 40 years old.

Good luck

-Emissary-

We paid about about $15k for the design and installation of our cabinets, caesarstone bench top, and tiling splash back (excluding appliances)

Our kitchen is small though (4x4) and we also had no top cabinets to make it look bigger. We also kept the layout the same and didn’t move any of the plumbing. 

We also used a big kitchen renovation company. Other quotes we received came in about $5k cheaper but DH wanted to use the bigger company. 

foofoo

We did a new kitchen a few years ago.    It is a galley style with 9 metres at the back and a 4 metre bench at the front.  We move plumbing for the dishwasher and sink a metre or so and plumbed in the fridge.    We also put in a double oven so had to upgrade the electricity circuit.

We did stone bench, 2pac paint, all drawers, double pullout pantry, glass splashback and new flooring.  All up it cost about $35k without appliances.

• Like 1

wallofdodo

We did ours a few years ago. My OH had a broken leg, and decided that was a good time to do a kitchen reno. 

We used the existing structure, changed the benchtops, sink drawers and cupboards, also removed a section and added french doors. Retiled the walls. 

We used compact laminate for the bench tops and laminated plywood for the facings. It's not to everyone's taste but it is ours. All up we paid about 6 thousand, that included the trades we needed for the gas, plumbing and installation of french doors (the perfect doors were found on gumtree for 200 dollars so saved a few thousand there!). The only trade off was that it took about 6 - 8 months to finish. 

• Like 1

Etcetera

We did the kitchen in our previous house 4 years ago and all up it cost over $30k, probably closer to 35. That was a complete rip out do again kitchen, new appliances, vinyl wrapped cupboards, all drawers, top of the range induction cooktop, double ovens, stone benches, some plaster work and a completely new ceiling (it FELL DOWN mid reno!) Oh and also we had to redo half the wiring in the house (they found live wires leading nowhere in the walls) and added more for the induction. It was beautiful and the new owners absolutely scored when they bought our old house.

The house had an extension put on the back of the house and what was the back window was still there, just with shelves inside the window hole. We couldn't remove the wall completely (load bearing) so we dropped the "window" sill and widened the opening and added a breakfast bar. This part was a pita (plastering is so messy) but it absolutely made the house, changed the whole feel of it and opened up what was a pretty dingy room.

SO while it'll be more expensive, don't rule out changing the house up. Kitchens are the most expensive rooms anyway but they can make or break the house imo.

We're now planning to redo the kitchen here in our hopefully forever home, and I've just had a layout breakthrough! I think this kitchen will be more around the $18-20k mark as it's more just putting a new kitchen in rather than building/electrical/plumbing work.

• Like 1

Hands Up

Our small kitchen cost $23k excl appliances. We kept the same layout. 

Won’t you miss your rumpus room? I’m a massive fan of multiple living spaces when kids are in the mix. We are now in a small terrace and oh my gosh I miss our rumpus room.

hills mum bec
20 minutes ago, Hands Up said:

Won’t you miss your rumpus room? I’m a massive fan of multiple living spaces when kids are in the mix. We are now in a small terrace and oh my gosh I miss our rumpus room.

Won't miss the rumpus room, it's become a bit of a junk/storage area and rarely gets used anyway.  Our house currently has 4 "living" areas.  A formal lounge at the front of the house that DS19 has converted to his man cave, open plan family/dine/kitchen, rumpus room and a small living area upstairs that both DD's use to watch TV.