My4beautifulboys

Vinyl plank flooring

My4beautifulboys

We’re recently discussing best floor covering to suit our new build. The two options were considering are either polished concrete flooring, or vinyl timber flooring. We’d like it to be hard wearing and low maintenance, to suit or busy family and lifestyle. 
I’d appreciate your thoughts and experiences on the two. 

Redchick2

I love our vinyl plank flooring.  Polished concrete wasn’t  an option for me but I still would have chosen the vinyl as concrete is harder and colder.  It’s also super fast to install . 

• Like 2

Kiwi Bicycle

If you get loose lay vinyl plank ( It's not glued down, they lay it jammed tightly from the walls with just a tackifier) you can easily replace a plank if it get stratched. It was fantastic when we did our kitchen reno, we just rearranged and popped in a few more planks as required  ( the cabinets changed a bit in size).  Has a bit of texture so it's non slip, warm underfoot and I can steam mop no problems. We choose a brand with a 7mm? wear layer, 2mm thicker than usual.

SeaPrincess

We have vinyl plank. The house is 10 years old, and there are some minor scratches around our dining table. I was told by the previous owners not to steam mop, so I don’t. It’s softer and warmer than tiles or concrete, but I’d probably still prefer hard wood.

FiveAus

We've got really good quality vinyl planks in our bedrooms, and I absolutely love them. I wish we had put them right through the house (we have high gloss ceramic tiles in the living area and I hate them).
However, in our rumpus room, which is a converted carport, we have cheaper vinyl planks and I'm glad I don't have to look at them every day. They don't wear well, and they are thin and cheap looking. Our rumpus room isn't used for anything other than storage and for dogs to sleep in though so I don't really care.

IkeaAddict

I had luxury vinyl planks installed in my house 8 months ago and I love it.Mine are fixed to the floor but when one needed to be replaced (because idiot furniture movers) the flooring guy came out, used a box cutter knife to remove the one plank and put a new one in it's place. The one replaced wasn't that bad and had the floor not been brand new I probably wouldn't have worried about it. I got the commercial grade one which has a 20 year warranty and is suitable for wet areas, apparently fine in bathroom etc. 

Before getting this I had timber laminate floor which I hated with a passion. If you didn't get to water or liquid spills within 10min it would cause the joins to swell up and look awful. You couldn't mop the floor properly because too much water damaged the boards. With the vinyl planks I can wet mop without damaging them. The only thing the installer said not to use was a steam mop because it affects the glue. I don't have a steam mop anyway so no big deal

Crombek

Can vinyl planks be laid over floor heating? We are looking into flooring options now and I would prefer to avoid tiles but I don't want to compromise on being warm. We had the stick down vinyl 'boards' suggested to us, but I really, really hate them. 

Jenflea

We have vinyl flooring, the thinner older type(Knight Plank?) that's over 20 years old and still looks good.  Each 'plank' is individual so it could be replaced if needed. 

I love it but I wish we had a slightly thicker style because it's on top of concrete and pretty hard underfoot.  There wasn't a huge range in the late 90's though and it was a first home(with budget to match lol). 

AllyK81

I prefer proper hardwood or polished concrete.

We had polished concrete in our first apartment and we loved it. We used to warm up the spaces with rugs in winter and pack them down in summer.

Apageintime

I would consider wood look tiles as well. 

I've livedin houses with vinal planks and really don't like them. 

Grrrumbles

Miss my vinyl planks so much. Easy to clean and not too hard. If they scratched I just buffed some furniture polish into the scratch, wiping really well so it wasn’t slippery. The place I bought them from actually didn’t sell many at the time and were amazed on how nice they looked down. I chose a dark colour as not a huge fan of the orange/honey coloured ones.

We have tiles in the new house - hard and seem to increase the noise levels. But my biggest hate is for the grout. 

• Like 1

kimasa

My last rental had them and I loved them, didn't fully realise what they were until I found a few extra pieces in the back of the linen cupboard.

I'd love to rip out my tiles and replace them with those. So much nicer.

• Like 1

Soontobegran
1 hour ago, AllyK81 said:

I prefer proper hardwood or polished concrete.

We had polished concrete in our first apartment and we loved it. We used to warm up the spaces with rugs in winter and pack them down in summer.

My DD has just built a new home with vinyl planks after coming from a home with hardwood. I was surprised to learn that the vinyl planks were more expensive , I gathered the opposite.  She is thrilled with them. She was so sick of having to be super vigilant with her hardwood trying to protect it from the daily hazards of children, visitors and a dog.

I hope to cover my shiny tiles with them if I win Tattslotto. :)

• Like 1

Gumbette
29 minutes ago, Grrrumbles said:

Miss my vinyl planks so much. Easy to clean and not too hard. If they scratched I just buffed some furniture polish into the scratch, wiping really well so it wasn’t slippery. The place I bought them from actually didn’t sell many at the time and were amazed on how nice they looked down. I chose a dark colour as not a huge fan of the orange/honey coloured ones.

We have tiles in the new house - hard and seem to increase the noise levels. But my biggest hate is for the grout. 

OMG.  That's me, I hate white grout with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns.  I can't wait until I can either lay floating floorboards or vinyl planks over the top.  

They're also terribly unforgiving on old feet and young kids.  Every time one of my kids fall over I inevitably hear 'why tiles mum, why did you chose tiles' as they're nursing their knee..

CrankyM

Don't go polished concrete. We have that. Part of it's worn off in the kitchen so now it's just concrete that is awful. I swear it sucks in all the dirt and is never clean even after mopping, vacuuming, heck I even steam mopped there ones and it was seriously gross. Seriously awful. It's hard on your feet if you walk around barefoot. I was getting shin splints at one points because i wasn't wearing shoes in the house and barefoot on concrete isn't enough support on your arches. We have vinyl planks in one room (and the supplies to do the rest of the house) and it is sooo much nicer. I'm determined to get the rest of the house done by the end of this year (tiles in the kitchen and outside the bathroom though).

My4beautifulboys

Thanks for the suggestions, it sounds as though vinyl flooring is very suitable, hard wearing and versatile. Our architect has suggested types such as bolder timber colours like Blackbutt, mountain ash, American oak. Would love to hear your suggestions of colours? 
I’m really surprised concrete floors are high maintenance. As I was also definitely considering getting a quote for that. 
But like Pp’s mentioned it would be quite cold underfoot, and you’d have to wear socks or slippers.