Jump to content
Bethlehem Babe

Lefty themed gifts

Recommended Posts

Bethlehem Babe

Ok, a mate of mine is very similar to me in political persuasion. Her husband is not at all. And often calls her a socialist or communist. 
I’m looking for a gift along those themes. 

Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lizzzard

Donation to a humanitarian cause? Maybe a charity that supports homeless men?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kadoodle

A red flag? Cuddly hammer and sickle toy (I saw one on eBay) Dart board with Scomo in the middle? Donation on her behalf to something like Medicines sans frontiers or WWF? Ice pick?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silver Girl

I thought this thread would be about buying gifts for left-handers.

How about a subscription to The Big Issue?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chamomile

Gillard’s misogyny speech on a tea towel. 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Murderino

^^^ I want that!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DirtyStreetPie

How about some refreshing Leninade?

image.png.8200fb88fa340daf243d096ef8f92200.png

(source: Wikipedia)

We legit found this at a shop in Melbourne called USA Foods. Yes, we bought a few bottles and drank them together, like comrades should.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stuffed Olive

^^ Surely it would either have to be highlights - or a roller towel?!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddlepop
37 minutes ago, Chamomile said:

Gillard’s misogyny speech on a tea towel. 

 

5 minutes ago, Stuffed Olive said:

^^ Surely it would either have to be highlights - or a roller towel?!!!

Easy: doona cover. That should be enough room for it. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MooGuru

I listened to her speech just the other day and I swear I feel a foot taller afterwards.  

Oh ok, that's not nice of you to have shared that link Murderino. I mean it's perfect for OP but I really can't afford what I want to buy there :lol:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
born.a.girl

Neighbour gave me the tea towel and husband the apron a few years ago. We love them both.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kadoodle
8 hours ago, DirtyStreetPie said:

How about some refreshing Leninade?

image.png.8200fb88fa340daf243d096ef8f92200.png

(source: Wikipedia)

We legit found this at a shop in Melbourne called USA Foods. Yes, we bought a few bottles and drank them together, like comrades should.

Alcoholic or ordinary lemonade? Because that would be a perfect gift for someone I know.

What else is she into? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bethlehem Babe
52 minutes ago, kadoodle said:

Alcoholic or ordinary lemonade? Because that would be a perfect gift for someone I know.

What else is she into? 

She cooks, she’s recently lost a fair bit of weight and is beginning to enjoy sports, she’s an engineer, gardens and sews too. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kadoodle

A lefty engineer? Wow, I didn’t realise they existed.

 

A trade union or communist themed apron or the Gillard speech one?  Tea towel and oven glove combo? I have a teapot and cup set with A Woman’s Place is in the Union on it, purchased from my union a few years ago.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bethlehem Babe
12 minutes ago, kadoodle said:

A lefty engineer? Wow, I didn’t realise they existed.

 

A trade union or communist themed apron or the Gillard speech one?  Tea towel and oven glove combo? I have a teapot and cup set with A Woman’s Place is in the Union on it, purchased from my union a few years ago.

You aren’t having around in the right circles. She’s a bit brilliant. I think like many of us, she realised the need for feminism when in the very male dominated workforce. 
She’s now working very hard on her kids, explaining why people are protesting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DirtyStreetPie

@kadoodle It's non-alcoholic. Just coloured soft drink.

I have an engineering degree, and I'm a big fat pinko. Your characterisation is somewhat right, though! Many engineers sneer at unionism to their own detriment; they're paid very well, but their working conditions are often ridiculous and inhumane, especially if they're in consulting. If only they realised that unionising may improve their lives.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fifteenyears

I have the Gillard tea towel and love it.    MOST of the engineers I know are lefties.  But they are all also mostly public servants, which might explain it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jessiesgirl

I had a board game years ago called “Class Struggle”.  Everyone that played it with me claimed it was rigged so the socialists always won. I wonder if it is still around?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ozquoll
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, jessiesgirl said:

I had a board game years ago called “Class Struggle”.  Everyone that played it with me claimed it was rigged so the socialists always won. I wonder if it is still around?

So, the antithesis of Monopoly 🤔?  Sounds good!

Edited by Ozquoll
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kadoodle
1 hour ago, DirtyStreetPie said:

@kadoodle It's non-alcoholic. Just coloured soft drink.

I have an engineering degree, and I'm a big fat pinko. Your characterisation is somewhat right, though! Many engineers sneer at unionism to their own detriment; they're paid very well, but their working conditions are often ridiculous and inhumane, especially if they're in consulting. If only they realised that unionising may improve their lives.

I regularly have this argument with DH, who’s a construction engineer and small l liberal without a political home. Most of his colleagues are pretty conservative, though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Murderino
9 hours ago, MooGuru said:

I listened to her speech just the other day and I swear I feel a foot taller afterwards.  

Oh ok, that's not nice of you to have shared that link Murderino. I mean it's perfect for OP but I really can't afford what I want to buy there :lol:

I hear you. I found many things to buy but with a new house build and kids birthdays this month I’m holding off. 
I like the Frida Kahlo socks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steppy

You can get toilet paper with Trump on it. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lazycritter
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ozquoll said:

So, the antithesis of Monopoly 🤔?  Sounds good!

A really interesting fact is that Monopoly was invented by a woman in the 1800s and it was originally designed to show the evils of capitalism. 

Unfortunately, (ironically) she didn't copyright the game because she wasn't wired that way. The game got bastardised over the years and then by the time Parker bros claimed it it was the opposite of what she intended.  

 

Sorry she was born in the 1800s game came about in 1903 https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/apr/11/secret-history-monopoly-capitalist-game-leftwing-origins

Edited by lazycritter
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...