TinyGiraffe

Birth at King Edward WA vs other options?

TinyGiraffe

Has anyone given birth at King Edward in either their Family Birth Centre or the main hospital and how did you find it? 

I'm currently 28w (so leaving it late!) and in the Family Birth Centre as I liked the idea of 1 midwife throughout and is what I was able to have with my first baby at an interstate hospital but in my 2 appointments so far, I just haven't gotten a good feeling about it, they seem more alternative/natural focussed and I am concerned with how quickly after birth I will have to leave (<4hrs)...

I'm now contemplating if I should try the main hospital or of I need to try and go private so as per the title, what was your experiance? 

iwanttosleepin

I've done both! I had my first in the main part of KEMH as he was born at 36+5 days (2 days short of full term to deliver in the Birth centre).  I did all of my prenatal at the Birth Centre.  I had a natural birth but with a 2kg baby we stayed an agonisingly long 4 days including 2 days in SCN.

With #2 tried again with success.  DS born at 40 weeks(ish).  He was born just after midnight and we went home at about 9 am.  I was ready much sooner but we had to wait for the daytime staff to arrive and do all the paperwork and then the paediatrican to do a check over.  Best thing ever.  I loved it.

I have never heard of people actually leaving in under 4 hours.  They were in no rush with me - but I was in a rush and actually had to tell them a couple of times I was ready to leave so sort out the admin.  the lady next door had her baby before me and was having visitors as we departed and she seemed to be staying a while longer.  

I would suggest the average stay is more like 12-24 hours tbh.  If you want to stay longer you can be transferred to the main hospital.

With my third baby I had him at a different public hospital (different state) and I stayed for 22 hours as my blood pressure was high and we had a 2 hour drive to get home.  I reckon it was high being forced to stay in a hospital.  but that was way too long for me.  we went to lunch at a restaurant on the way home and had a glass of wine with the older kids!

TinyGiraffe

Thanks. Maybe its a Covid issue but I know someone who recently delivered at ~1:30am and was kicked out by 5am and they are really pushing that it will be less than 4hrs no matter the delivery time which is part of what has me nervous.. 

• Sad 1

SeaPrincess

Wow. I thought the 4 hours was at least during the day time! I do know someone who left within 4 hours - she turned up to pick up her older child much sooner than expected. My friends who have had babies at KEMH have been high risk but even with history from a prior delivery, the longest stay of the three was only overnight.

I had my babies in the private system, 2 in WA and 1 interstate. I had the same midwife throughout each labour, although I didn’t really go over a shift change. My OBs made it to all of them as well, and I pretty much stayed as long as I wanted. When DS2 was admitted and I was discharged, we didn’t even move rooms.