dadwasathome

Hamilton the movie

dadwasathome

Hamilton the Movie is released on Disney+ this coming Friday, so we get it almost a day before parts of the US. It's a movie recording of a Broadway performance.

If you haven't heard of the award winning stage show, don't be turned off by the descriptions of it as a "rap musical" as I was - it's an all singing, all dancing history lesson told very much from the US perspective.

We were going to have a watch party on Friday but the timing didn't work for a few people, so we're going to do it on 4 July.

Will anyone else be watching? If on 4 July, what's your menu? Singalong or no singing?

• Like 2

CallMeFeral

I've heard such good things about this musical, and it's finally coming to Sydney next year. Will I ruin it by watching the TV version do you think???

dadwasathome

Only in the same way that listening to the soundtrack over and over would. Or maybe if the Australian lead isn't as good as Lin Manuel Miranda.

I've watched various pieces of Hamilton performances (including the Tony awards performance of Yorktown form a couple of years ago), and we'll still be buying tickets for next year. My BIL and SIL flew from Boston to Chicago to see the touring production and loved it!

SIL is very envious that we get it before them

rob^2

FYI
Disney+  have removed their one week free trial, but the Woolworths Rewards App is offering a 14 day free trial.

FuzzyChocolateToes

I really want to watch this! I hate rap BUT love the music from Hamilton. 🤷🏻‍♀️ We don't have Disney + so will have to think about a short subscription.

• Like 1

Jaffa donuts

I have only been into this for about 10 days, but it is on pretty much non-stop repeat in my house and annoyingly also in my head during the night.  I can't get over how clever the lyrics are and am totally obsessed.  DD(12) is also into it now and we listened to it in the car today and it was a great history lesson as I explained what was happening throughout.  Actually it has been a great history lesson for me too as I didn't have a great understanding of American history.  

• Like 1

osmund

I saw this in NY when it was fairly new (and not a popular sensation), I just went randomly with a bunch of friends. I had no idea what it was like and what it was about, I found the music and rapping really amazing and the American history a bit tedious. I am looking forward to seeing it on TV too.

dadwasathome
23 minutes ago, Jaffa donuts said:

I have only been into this for about 10 days, but it is on pretty much non-stop repeat in my house and annoyingly also in my head during the night.  I can't get over how clever the lyrics are and am totally obsessed.  DD(12) is also into it now and we listened to it in the car today and it was a great history lesson as I explained what was happening throughout.  Actually it has been a great history lesson for me too as I didn't have a great understanding of American history.  

We got into Hamilton after our first visit to the US, after also seeing a Hamilton exhibition at the NY public library.

Out next visit to North America included some time in Canada - it was interesting contrasting the different perspectives, although more about the 1812 war than 1776.

just remembered that, as family, we had to choose a song to enter BIL and SIL’s wedding reception (big US wedding). We chose Helpless from Hamilton (my favourite, Yorktown, isn’t quite appropriate.

**Tiger*Filly**

I’m looking forward to it. I think I’ll actually cast to the big TV instead of just watching on my iPad like I mostly do with Netflix. 
Call me Feral I don’t think it would ruin it. I always think live performances of musicals are better if you are already a bit familiar with the music. They were talking about it on the radio this morning and I was thinking one good thing about watching it on Disney, will be that presumably there will be subtitles. My hearing isn’t 100% so I reckon at a live show I might miss some of the words in a something like this that’s very wordy, whereas if I watch it beforehand with captions I can pick up all the words. 

• Like 1

AtotheZ

Will definitely watch, along with DD.  We love musicals (she has performed in 3 professional productions) and tried to get lottery tickets when we were in NYC 2 years ago but missed out.

Am looking forward to the cast announcement for the Australian production!

• Like 1

dadwasathome
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, **Tiger*Filly** said:

They were talking about it on the radio this morning and I was thinking one good thing about watching it on Disney, will be that presumably there will be subtitles.

It really does take a few listens to work through the whole story. I think we may have listened to the soundtrack on shuffle the first time which really didn't help.

I've never regretted having listened before seeing a live show. Mind you, I don't know that it would have helped School of Rock so much.....

We'll have the sound system up loud for our watch party, and singalong will be allowed (although it may only be our family singing). We'll need to set up a time for watch party with the family in Boston as well :)

The next question is tater tot bake or no on the menu?

Edited by dadwasathome
  • Like 1

dadwasathome

Oh, and to show some of the nerdiness on this one, Lin Manuel Miranda tweeted the set at the start of Covid lockdown to use for zoom meetings

IMG_9252.jpeg

• Like 3

reneelovescraig

We watched it last night. Singing along forbidden for first viewing but we may allow it for the second. Favourites were Thomas Jefferson and King George!

dadwasathome

King George was my BIL’s favourite when his wife dragged him to Chicago to see it live.

We’ve got 9 people coming over tonight to watch, most of whom haven’t seen or heard it. Tough luck - it’s always a singalong in our house (or car)

Lyra

My almost 15 year old daughter has been obsessed with this for ages! We got Disney+ this morning, I bought snacks this afternoon we are watching it this evening. I am not overly excited LOL but she is which is the main thing.

KACM

Loved it! But King George’s spit while singing 🤢

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

dadwasathome

Watched it with a dozen or so friends tonight - lots of tears (many from me too).

i lived the soundtrack already, but seeing the performance - just wow!

I think we’ll probably for a group booking for the Sydney version.

Kreme

We spent six months listening to the soundtrack last year thanks to  DD13. Then when we went to London in September we booked tickets as a surprise. She was so excited! I think knowing all the songs made it even more enjoyable. It’s one of the best performances I’ve ever seen. Looking forward to seeing it on the small screen, singing will be optional!

Caitlin Happymeal

DH is right into it. Me -eh - American history is not my area of interest in any way, shape or form. I don't feel like it's overly relevant to my experience. So I haven't been interested but hey, free disney+ for two weeks is not to be sneezed at... And since DD1 and DH were keen, I decided to join them. 

I enjoyed it, I wouldn't rush out to see it live though, it's just not my cup of tea. If DH manages to get tickets to it somehow, sure, I'll go along, but it didn't live up to the hype for me. That said, it was very clever, very well staged and extremely well cast. So I can certainly appreciate the production itself - very impressive! I can see why it is so appealing to so many people, it's just not my style. 

And from a revolution point of view, it made me nostalgic for a stage production of les mis! (didn't love the movie version, rusty sort of ruined it for me). 

dadwasathome

Interesting about Les Mis - it’s one I’ve always been meh about (apart from At the End of the Day, and all time fave).

i wasn’t so much into American revolutionary history until my first visit to the US, but since then Hamilton works for me with the great music, the sweep of real historical events and the personal relationships.

The scene in Hamilton with Washington’s resignation speech and Hamilton miming it really hit home too. Before we knew the show we saw a small exhibition at the NY Public Library which had Hamilton’s draft and Washington’s final version, in the hand of each, side by side.

.Jerry.

Watched it this afternoon.  How amazingly written was this??!!

Took a lot of concentration to watch it.  I also googled the history behind it all in the background.

Impressed by those of you who can sing along to these complicated lyrics.

rosie28

I’ve seen it live and the “movie” was better in some ways. I had good seats but the closeups you get on TV are something else. Watching it again tonight! 

• Like 1

Nozycat

I love me a musical, but I just don't get this one.  Descriptions and and seeing bits and pieces haven't attracted me at all but when I could see it free on Disney I thought I would give it a go.  I lasted half an hour, just not for me.

eigne

I haven’t watched it yet but I’m excited! I have been listening to the Soundtrack and constantly have Either satisfied or my shot stuck in my head. I played my shot to my 3yo a couple of times and she has been wandering around the house mumbling “I’m not gonna give my shot”. Adorable!

• Haha 1