nom_de_plume

Kid friendly vegetarian meals

nom_de_plume

DP and I both used to be vegetarian, and we find ourselves gravitating back to that way of eating so are wanting to introduce more veggo meals to the kids as they get a bit older (youngest is 6).

Does anyone have any tried and tested vegetarian recipes that are approved by your typical, vegetable eschewing kiddos?

Bonus points if they can be served as a side dish, so I can still cook meat for the kids if they want it.

Jenflea

Korean vegetable pancakes. 

I use a better Homes and gardens recipe from a few years ago. 

It's basically grated veggies, spring onions, a bit of flour and an egg and fried like a pancake. You CAN add meat if you like ( I add left over chicken) but you don't have to. 

Soups

Salads

• Like 2

blimkybill

Crumbed tofu strips... a sort of vegetarian nugget. Dip strips or chunks of firm tofu in either egg or soy milk, then roll in breadcrumbs and shallow fry. Yummy and you can dip in sauce of your choice.

Vegetarian sausage rolls can be very yummy too. I don't have a favourite recipe but there are lots on the internet

If your kids like mince dishes, TVP makes a really convincing substitute. Lentils are more natural but more likely to be rejected by kids.  

• Like 1

trillian42

Staples in our house with two vego kids include:

- Pizza (obvious I know)

- Tomato pasta: Passata, grated zucchini and carrot, garlic, basil. Can add olives, mushrooms etc if everyone likes them.

- Pasta bake with sneaky cauliflower: creamy cheese sauce made with cooked and blended cauliflower, and zucchini if you like

- Fried rice/fried noodles, with veggies and tofu. We are big tofu fans (cooked with soy and sesame oil so it’s tasty), but can use egg for the protein if you prefer.

- Spanakopita: ricotta, spinach, cheese etc in pastry.

- Tortillas or wraps: lots of options for fillings (we use tofu), veggies, cheese, yogurt etc.

• Like 1

nom_de_plume
10 minutes ago, blimkybill said:

Crumbed tofu strips... a sort of vegetarian nugget. Dip strips or chunks of firm tofu in either egg or soy milk, then roll in breadcrumbs and shallow fry. Yummy and you can dip in sauce of your choice.

Vegetarian sausage rolls can be very yummy too. I don't have a favourite recipe but there are lots on the internet

If your kids like mince dishes, TVP makes a really convincing substitute. Lentils are more natural but more likely to be rejected by kids.  

I've done the lentil bolognese thing and the kids will eat that but only fresh. They didn't like it when reheated for some reason. 

DP and I aren't really into the faux meat but I will definitely try it for the kids as they will probably be into it :)

Kallie88
Posted (edited)

I recently did Jamie Oliver's 7 veg tomato sauce and have that to the kids with pasta and broccoli, was very well received. We don't tend to eat vegetarian, much as it would be a good idea, but i cbf adding chicken or tuna when i made it so that's what they got. Mind, beans would keep it vego too I suppose lol.

Eta: I imagine a lot of things like pasta bake, risotto etc could be made just without meat and be decent vego alternatives since they don't rely on the meat

Edited by Kallie88
thought of more
  • Like 1

MakesMeHappy

I don’t have a recipe but my veggie avoiding kids loved a vegetarian taco meal a friend made one night, they substituted the mince with lentils and just used the normal taco kit. 

• Like 1

FuzzyChocolateToes
Posted (edited)

Sanitarium have a recipe for cottage rolls (i.e. sausage rolls) that is really good.

We eat Mexican a lot. I grate zucchini carrot and sweet potato, cook in a pan, add beans plus spices and use for nachos, tacos etc. 

We eat lots of pasta, curry etc too. Nagi's macaroni and cheese is good.  We like her Singapore noodles, minus the prawns. 

Edited by FuzzyChocolateToes
  • Like 1

Lou-bags
Posted (edited)

My DS2 (3.5yo) adores Nagi’s baked vegetable rice dish. It’s a really flexible dish, I’ve made it with all sorts of different veges,  diff variations of herbs, whatever I have. Sadly my 6yo won’t eat it, he doesn’t like mixed foods or cooked vegetables (except maybe roast or boiled carrots at a stretch, sigh).

https://www.recipetineats.com/oven-baked-rice-and-vegetables/

There is a pretty good thermomix tomato sauce recipe for pasta in Louise Fulton-Keats book that’s supposed to be close-ish to the tinned spaghetti flavour. It’s not that close but my kids will eat it (it’s blitzed smooth so DS1 will tolerate it 😂). I can send you a screenshot of the page if you can’t find it online and want it.

How about corn fritters?

Quiche? Frittata?

This is another one DS2 loves (and DS1 won’t eat): curried lentil bake

https://www.healthylittlefoodies.com/curried-lentil-bake/

Edited by Lou-bags
  • Like 1

Just Jack

F

Sancti-claws

Spinach and feta rolls are as far as the boat gets pushed out here!

• Like 1

MooGuru

We always have vegetarian bean mix for nachos, tacos etc. Every kid that has ever had it says they prefer beans to mince for Mexican.

• Like 2

coastlife

Macaroni Cheese - Bacon optional 

• Like 1

spr_maiden

Rice paper rolls - make your own from bowls of ingredients on  table,  include tofu. 

Soup is fave here.  As long as it has sweet potato in it and not too many spices,  they love it. 

Lentil sausage rolls.

One likes bean/lentil patties,  the other hates them. 

Very mild Dahl.

• Like 1

CrankyM

I have one borderline vegetarian and one carnivore child. I like to eat vegetarian at least 3 times a week. I find the key is getting the spice and the flavours right. Don't be afraid to play with strong flavours.

My kids like vegetable pastries (base is usually fetta, mozella, silverbeet or spinach, small cubes of sweet potato or pumpkin and some grated potato to bulk it out. I might add whatever other veg is in the fridge, cook with some caramelised onion, flavours such as cumin, paprika, balsamic vinegar, caraway seeds depending on how I feel) and then wrap it in pastry. Spring roll pastry works really well if you want thin and crispy or puff pastry for the buttery layers.

Soup of different variations, we rarely actually eat soup with meat in it

Pasta tossed with crisp veg, (broccali, fresh chopped tomatoes, spinach, corn cut from the cob) and pesto or even just Parmesan cheese and some salt and fresh herbs

Mexican - my kids absolutely love my pumpkin and black bean enchiladas. Basically its, fried onions, garlic, 1-2 cups of small cubes of pumpkin, a can of black beans, corn kernals, a chopped capsicum and some passata, cumin, oregano, paprika and salt. Then once just cooked, fill tortillas and put in a lasange dish, cover with more passata and a layer of cheese and bake for 20-30 mins. If you have left over mix it also goes well in a salad or in tortilla cups. Same mix cam also be done in tortilla cups, then crack as egg over the top and bake for 10-15 mins until the egg is cooked. Most Mexican recipes are easy to adapt to vegetarian. Nachoes here has always been beans, grated carrot, finely chopped broccali, corn. I um didn't know nachoes was supposed to have meat in it until I was a teenager and ordered it at a shop... I grew up vegetarian.

• Like 1

*Marty*

Mac Cheese, lentil pie (like Shepherds pie - fry off onion, 3/4-1 cup brown lentils, add curry paste (whatever I have in the fridge), passata, crushed tomatoes and whatever veg you want ie capci, cauli, broccoli, carrot, beans and add a cup of peas at the end and 1/2-1cup corn.  boil away.  Add mash and grill when a crust forms, ad cheese to melt

For a side dish - Jamie Oliver's Happy Cow burgers (we omit the chilli for the kids.)  Can cook meat patties for the tin lids.

• Like 1

anatomicalheart

I have been vegetarian for a long time. Household is full of various dietary needs ranging from intolerances to pickiness. The following seems to work:

As mentioned, pizzas. GF people have GF bases, and DF people use vegan cheese or go without.

Risotto "with mix-ins". AKA a plain risotto bianco is made and then there are bowls of spinach, tomatoes, fried mushrooms, etc placed on the table.  It's a good one to add meatballs/bacon/chicken to, should people want.

'Tomato soup' (onion, garlic, celery, carrot, pumpkin, canellini beans and passata) with dinosaur-shaped pasta and toasted sandwiches. Carnivores can put meat of choice on their toasties. 

Pasta carbonara, without the bacon. 

Really lightly steamed vegetables, basmati rice, and a little bowl of warm satay sauce 'to dip'. 

I have had success making 'bean balls' with a variety of sauces but then the children realized I felt really quite smug about my success and nipped that in the bud. 

In an attempt to expand their palates I am going to try them on dahl this week. 

• Like 1

Let-it-go

Tonight’s dinner is fritter/burgers.  I’m doing a spinach & ricotta one and a chickpea one which will have grated veges in it.  Both will be happily eaten by everyone in the family.

Im not a great a vego cook but I was given Jamie’s Vege cookbook for Christmas and I’ve had some success from that.  There is an upside down puff pastry pizza which everyone LOVES and a great Sweet potato recipe to use with tacos.  I’ve found the book helpful for ideas and we are now eating far more vegetables and a greater variety than before.

• Like 1

nom_de_plume

Thankyou all! I knew EB would have some brilliant ideas ❤️ I am excited to try these recipes out.

We are having sushi tonight.

I love the idea of risotto with 'mix ins'. That will be right up the kids alley.

Dianalynch

Nagi’s san Choy bau is a hit here, we use tofu for the protein. 
Mild tofu red curry and tofu fried rice are other good tofu dishes that have lots of protein 

like PPs we also do mexi beans (black beans, grated vege, corn with taco seasoning) to have rice bowls or tacos

we also do Lentil bol (lentils, onion, grated carrot and zucchini, tinned tomatoes, tomato paste) 

WaitForMe

This sausage roll recipe is the best!

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/vegan-sausage-rolls-recipe/3yhfhpql

Everyone in my very fussy family likes them... although admittedly the 4yo the last two times has declared she doesn't like them but she's eaten them plenty of times before and once stole my leftovers lunch consisting of the mix warmed up on toast.

I use a Massel beef style stock cube and half cup of water rather than the half cup of liquid stock. I generally use a whole cube.