VVV

Has your indoor cat ever gotten out?

AmicusCuriae

Ours has ventured out onto the back verandah a couple of times, but like others mentioned above he has no game plan so has been caught within seconds.  We tried to take him for walks in a harness, but he hates it and refuses to move then bolts back inside at the first opportunity. 

We now have dogs who are out in the yard during the day, so he definitely will not head out the back, and we usually leave the house via the garage so we make sure we close the inside door before we open the garage door.  So far, so good.  

cardamom

We have two cats, both indoor. One is mad and we wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting her back if she ran off, so she's entirely indoors - has never been outside since the day we get her. The other one is calmer and used to have occasional (eg. monthly for 10 minutes) supervised outside time at our old place, she'd sniff the grass and roll around in the sun, all very harmless, but then one day she jumped the fence so she lost her outdoor privileges and hasn't been out since.

If we left the door wide open I'm sure they'd wander outside but for the most part they don't show any interest.

Oh, actually, mad cat accidentally got out when we moved recently - I didn't realise the kitchen window wasn't latched properly and she pushed it open and slithered out. She just stood on the other side of the window and waited for me to retrieve her. It took awhile to notice because at a glance it looked like she was just sitting on the inside sill like usual but upon closer inspection realised her face was smooshed up against the windowpane looking in, heh.

• Like 2

kadoodle

My blind cat got himself outside once, and one of the dogs grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and carried him back inside. MIL’s cat got out the bathroom window and got herself locked in a neighbour’s garage for a few days. Poor MIL was terrified, and I think the cat was, too, because she hasn’t tried to escape since.