VVV

Has your indoor cat ever gotten out?

VVV

We’ve had our cat for 6 months now and he’s indoor only (he has a large cat run down the side of our house) and goes out once a day on a lead out the back to explore. He never usually tries to get out but today when I had the door open for a delivery man he just bolted (even though he was asleep a min earlier.) The delivery man grabbed him but he was really dashing out the door. It made me so scared and my mind keeps wondering to what might have happened. Would he have come back or just kept running? I know dogs will run around for a bit but can be recalled, but cats? Anyone had any experiences with this? :(

purplekitty

Ours has escaped a few times but has been caught fairly quickly, he stops to smell the flowers and leaves and we grab his tail. :)

He did get out once when we were away and my daughter was frantic, looking everywhere ,he turned up sitting at the back door.

It is something I have always worried about but he is 13 now.

smilinggirl

Indoor only cat has escaped twice. One during the day and once at night. Both times involved one of us leaping on top of him to catch him. Young child was screaming hysterically in the background because she thought he was gone forever.

born.a.girl

After many sagas with one cat, she became indoors.  She'd sit there with her nose to the door though, hoping she could escape.

At one point she got out the laundry window by accidentally nudging the latch, and as it happened we were out. When we got home she hurtled down the back drive to us and belted inside and showed no interest in going outside for a bit.  BUT: for the first few months with us she had been an indoor/outdoor cat, so she knew our house and just happened to expect to be able to be indoors when she wanted.

I would suggest you take the cat out on a lead to all of the corners of your block, so that the cat's familiar with them. 

The second one we have here, who's only ever been indoors, got a huge fright one day, pulled the lead out of someone's hand, and bolted for the front door.

We used to worry about exactly the same thing, but I think the biggest difference is in them knowing their own outdoor surroundings and where the 'safe' door to indoors is.   If we ever lost one outdoors, I'd put their bed and kitty litter out there (apparently they can smell it for miles, lord only knows I can).

Rainbowbear

Ours tries to make a break for it every now and then but it has only been in to the back yard and he slows down pretty quick once he's clear of the door so has been easy to catch, he doesn't seem to have a game plan once he's out but if he ever concocts one then he might get harder to grab

• Like 2

BornToLove

One of our guys gets it into his head that he must do whatever it takes to get out the front door. Almost every time he has been successful it’s either extremely hot, frigidly  cold or raining. He gets about 2-3 metres away and realises he’s got it good inside 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

lozoodle

I adopted a cat last year and intended on her being indoor only. Three weeks in she flipped the lock on the sliding door on my balcony, pushed the door open with her paw and ran out and down over the edge of the balcony. She reappeared happy as can be a few hours later. Now she's mostly indoors but does go out on occasion. Cats are very good at knowing where they live, though I prefer to keep this one in as she's got a thing for chasing lizards which I don't like so now she only goes out when I'm with her keeping an eye :)

3babygirls

Our indoor cats became outdoor cats as they worked out how to open the dog door before the dog did.. 🙄

I wasn't happy but couldn't find a solution that allowed the dog to get out in time to go to the toilet (weak bladder) and keep the cats out. I was nervous for ages, but we live on a very quiet street and one of my cats is insanely lazy and terrible at catching anything. The other one now spends most of her time indoors. 

Tinkle Splashes

My indoor cat got out once, and was hit and killed by a car within moments. I’m still heartbroken. 

• Sad 13

foxbread

Our indoor cat has escaped a few times in her 10 years. The first time she got a couple of metres into the driveway and froze. All that empty sky freaked her right out.

Took a couple of years before she tried again, but we've caught her quickly again each time. The first bit of the dash is fast, but she runs out of steam and slows down to investigate things.

• Like 1

born.a.girl
1 hour ago, Tinkle Splashes said:

My indoor cat got out once, and was hit and killed by a car within moments. I’m still heartbroken. 

I'm so sorry.  I can identify, we moved to indoor after I ran over one of ours in the driveway - she never went out the front - and the memory still overwhelms me.

• Sad 6

foofoo

Our indoor cat is unpredictable.  I used to take her out with me to hang out the washing or out the front to play in the garden.  9/10 times she was good but there are occasions when she bolted straight on to the road.  I have stopped taking her out the front for this reason.    She has also bolted out the front door a few times.

Bono25

One of our cars had started running out the front door. He starts hanging around the door around 4 every afternoon waiting for the post man, or for the kids not to close the door quick enough. Each time he goes a bit further, went on the road last time and really scared himself. People drive quick on our street so I'm terrified he's going to get hit. 

They do have a run out the back, so I don't know why he's so obsessed with the front. 

lucky 2

Our cat has escaped quite a few times. Initially he was very frightened, he stayed under the house all day and came out when he was hungry, he was dirty and looking very unhappy. He's escaped from every house we've lived in so we have to be vigilant, if I remind him with a no he'll usually walk away from the door when we go in and out.

He hid in the garage a few months ago, we had no idea he was out. I happened to hear him when I go home, crying to be rescued, he was so relieved he bolted in the house.

Recently he got out and was sitting on the outside of dp's home office, staring through window at him. All dp had to do was scowl at him and point to the door and he shot back inside.

He's a scared cat but he can't help trying to escape. It must be instinctive.

• Like 1

Apageintime

Our idiot cat always escapes. Mostly he just wants to roll around in the dirt and bring his filth inside. 

He runs outside in a flash. Rubs himself in the dirt and waits for a human to pick him up and carry him inside. 

• Like 1

Kreme

We have 2 indoor cats that are 6yo.  A couple of times one of them has snuck out without me realising  and a short time later they’ll be at the back door begging to be let in.

One cat heads to the same place when she escapes - under the back deck to eat grass. The other one rarely makes it off the deck. He once ran out the front door when it was pouring rain and turned right around and ran back in again.

caitiri

I have 2 indoor cats that are 1.5.  They will try and get out everytime they hear the door handle move.  We spend a bit of time chasing them as they are rather clever at slipping past your feet.  

Jersey Caramel

Yes our indoor cat sneaks out reasonably frequently (kids are not great at ensuring the outside door is latched). The first few times I was terrified and heartbroken,  but now we know that she doesn't go far (usually heads under the house) and fortunately she is very food focused so always comes back when we shake her food bag. Most cats don't run away like dogs do,  they are very territorial so usually don't want to roam into other cats' territories. Cars are the main worry,  fortunately we are on a quiet cul de sac.

MadMarchMasterchef

We live close to a main road and this is why we don't have a cat 😕

Squeekums The Elf

Ours does, she gets 3 foot out the back door, all stalking like, sees the chooks and runs back inside and hides. She aint as tough as she thinks. Will take our dog on, no worries, but not the chooks :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

NannyPlumPudding
4 hours ago, Tinkle Splashes said:

That happened my cat last year 😭 I came home from the gym and saw a white thing on the road. DP had to take him to vet - now we aren't getting any more cats because DP is scarred for life.

(He snuck out behind me as I left for the gym. DP didn't even know he was out!)

• Sad 2

Silvers

We take our cat outside on a harness and watch him closely as he has escaped a few times.  Last week I took my eyes off him for a minute and he managed to climb on next doors roof.  He stayed up there for over an hour despite us tempting him with food/treats etc.  The kids were frantic thinking he’d jump off the high side but he was having a great time and only came down when he was ready.  He also managed to slip out of his harness and it’s still on the roof.

hills mum bec

When our cat was younger she always tried to make a bolt for it outside when anybody opened the front door.  Most of the time she would just hide under the caravan and could be coaxed out with treats.  There was one time she was in the garage (has an internal access door) when DH got home and put up the roller door with the remote control.  it spooked her and she fled outside and was gone for about 2 days and then we got woken up in the middle of the night with her meowing at the front door.  I was not optimistic when she was gone as we live near a an intersection of an 80km/h country road so was very happy when she came back.  Since then she has not been interested in going out the front door at all.  In the past 12 months she has started going outside into the back yard during the day but our back fences are really high and there is no way she can jump the fence as she is quite a small cat.  She loves sitting in the sun outside.

sne

Our indoor cat comes out the back with me when I hang out washing.  He loves rolling on the concrete and having a bit of a sniff around.  He's also a big scardy cat. The majority of the time he goes back inside before me due to something scary happening.  Like birds chirping,  the wind blowing or a car going past out front.

• Haha 1

Rubyroo

Our cat is an indoor cat, but he is terribly fascinated by the front door and what is outside, and when the kids leave it open he will come to investigate.

He has got out a couple of times, he clearly finds it terrifying as he hides under the house.  Unfortunately he is almost impossible to catch, so we have found the best thing is to leave the back door open to let him come back inside.  He won't come in if we are there, but will return at dinner time, at which point he then acts like nothing happened.