TheGreenSheep

What supplies do I need for a new puppy?

TheGreenSheep

So the boys have begged and begged for a dog. A few years has passed since our beloved cat was PTS, and the boys being older, and having more time we have said yes. They have negotatiated the chores/jobs that a dog requires. Puppy will be home in four weeks, due to allergies and wanting a small breed we have settled on a cavoodle on the recommendation of another friend who owns them. Please no comments on the breed, I know it’s a mutt. 
Since we have discussed a puppy and I did some googling, my FB and Insta feeds are non stop with pet products 🤪

What do I need to buy? A friend has a 6mth old puppy and she has recommended crating. My head swirls at the thought of all this new stuff. Our cat had very few things except for a litter tray and food bowls, he slept anywhere and was a couple toys. 
Where do I start??

Ernegirl

A comfy but cheap dog bed. Don't waste money on an expensive dog bed for a puppy. We've learnt that the hard way 😬

• Thanks 1

dadwasathome

Our mutt sometimes uses his dog bed.

Balls and chew toys. Harness/lead. Crating will spare your furniture if you can manage controlled comforting. Towels to mop up puppy wee.

• Thanks 1

jesse083

I found crating is fantastic for toilet training and sleep. It's relatively easy to set up and maintain. Our dog is 6 and still sleeps in his crate during the day and night. He is not locked in,  it's where he chooses to be. 

Plenty of toys to chew, especially while teething. Cold carrots were Also a winner here for teething and even now he loves them. 

Dog training. There is prob a club near you. They are cheap to join and definitely worth the effort. 

• Thanks 1

Zippypeaks

Collar, lead, ID tag, bed, blanket, food/water bowels, chew toys (I used some old baby toys), a poop scooper that everyone knows is the designated one for the dog poo, old tea towels for accidents. Also check what is supplied with your pup, we got a comfort blanket our puppy had grown used to, some puppy milk and kibble to continue on with.

• Thanks 1

~LemonMyrtle~

A lot of patience. A lot of things to chew. Two or three beds, lol. And a lot of time.

and a lot of paper towels and cleaning products. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Snorkmaiden

We picked up our rescue puppy a week ago (she's now 16 weeks old). Kmart and Big W are great for supplies (though both are short of stock at the moment). Our shopping list consisted of:
Beds - Bunnings & Kmart  around $20 & $12
Small polar fleece blankets - Big W $2 each (good to cover the furniture)
Collar, harness and lead - Pet Barn (can't remember cost, but cheaper at Kmart)
Squeaky toys - Kmart & Big W around $5 each
Chew toys - Kmart $3 each (she prefers a stick instead!)
Tennis balls - Pet Barn again (smaller size)
Bag to keep treats for training, and poo bags - Kmart $5
Poo bags and dispenser which clips to lead - Kmart $3.50 (or maybe Daiso)
Bowls (water & food) Kmart or Big W $5 each

Our puppy doesn't travel well, so I've got some puppy pee mats to catch vomit. She is toilet trained so we haven't needed them for inside the house.
Worming tablets
Puppy food and treats for training

Our puppy wasn't crate trained when we got her, so we put up with having her on our bed every night... not something i'd recommend. 🙂

• Thanks 1

~LemonMyrtle~

What are you going to do for toileting? obviously, dogs aren’t cats, they don’t use litter trays. Do you have a dog door? We love having a dog door, so easy for our dog to let himself in and out.  We have a small dog, so it was easy to install in an existing door. Worth considering getting one installed now, so you can train puppy to use one up front. Some dogs take a while to get used to a dog door. It will save you a lot of early morning door openings. 

• Thanks 1

TheGreenSheep
12 hours ago, ~LemonMyrtle~ said:

What are you going to do for toileting? obviously, dogs aren’t cats, they don’t use litter trays. Do you have a dog door? We love having a dog door, so easy for our dog to let himself in and out.  We have a small dog, so it was easy to install in an existing door. Worth considering getting one installed now, so you can train puppy to use one up front. Some dogs take a while to get used to a dog door. It will save you a lot of early morning door openings. 

We had mulled this over, a doggie door makes sense. Unfortunately it’s tough in our rural spot with vermin like rats and mice, snakes, etc and cold climate, high winds, plus all the doors are double glazed. So I’m doubtful it would stay shut and nothing would be climbing through plus it would be a struggle to keep the house snug and warm. Puppy will probably be indoors for its first winter of single digit daily temps.

born.a.girl

You may not even be able to put a doggy door in double glazing once it's been installed.

We looked at putting a door in, but the ?laminated glass could not be cut into, and we'd have to replace the full glass panel with a new one that included a door.

You've mentioned you're rural so may not be near an Aldi, but they have dog beds available tomorrow. I'd go for the one with a wall, rather than the round one, especially for a puppy.  There's a reasonable chance the puppy will shred the bed, so be prepared for that.  The walls will help, too, if you're weather is cold, as it's often coldest near the floor.

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-wed-1-july/wednesday-detail-wk27/ps/p/assorted-dog-beds/

• Thanks 1

Kiwi Bicycle
13 hours ago, ~LemonMyrtle~ said:

In my FB feed ( and I don't have any pets so I have no idea why) is a company that provides patches of real grass for your dog to do their business on in a special tray and they provide an on going subscription of monthly grass.  They say it's great for apartment dwellers. So maybe you can train a dog to use a tray?

• Thanks 1

Snorkmaiden

We are also rural.

Luckily, our puppy was pretty toilet trained already when she arrived. Our routine is to take her out just before we go to bed for a poo and pee (if necessary, on a lead for a walk around the house paddock till she's done both). First thing in the morning (around 6am), she goes back out for a pee, then after breakfast, back out and she'll do a poo.

When my partner gets up during the night to add wood to stove/fire, he'll take her out for a pee then too. During he day If she gets fussy, or sits near a door, I'll take her out just in case..

We also can't add a doggy door for the same reasons, plus there is a fairly large goanna who roams around here too and I really hate it when it gets inside the house. You can get electronic doggy doors which work off a tag on the dog's collar. I'm not sure I would trust our dog though 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TheGreenSheep
Posted (edited)

We also can't add a doggy door for the same reasons, plus there is a fairly large goanna who roams around here too and I really hate it when it gets inside the house. You can get electronic doggy doors which work off a tag on the dog's collar. I'm not sure I would trust our dog though 

im afraid our puppy would grab in a snake

Edited by TheGreenSheep
Failed at quoting

Snorkmaiden
36 minutes ago, TheGreenSheep said:

im afraid our puppy would grab in a snake

Same here, luckily we don't have any around at the moment. I'm going to talk to friends to see how they trained their dogs to leave snakes alone.

kadoodle

My dogs will all squat over the kitty litter if it’s too cold for them outside. One also pees in DS3’s potty if it’s left out during the day. Puppy pads are great, but replace them quickly or they get shredded.

Worm and flea treat your puppy right away, and book him in for his vaccinations; BYBs are pretty slack regarding healthcare ime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TheGreenSheep
15 hours ago, kadoodle said:

My dogs will all squat over the kitty litter if it’s too cold for them outside. One also pees in DS3’s potty if it’s left out during the day. Puppy pads are great, but replace them quickly or they get shredded.

Worm and flea treat your puppy right away, and book him in for his vaccinations; BYBs are pretty slack regarding healthcare ime.

Puppy is training on pads at the moment, she will be vaxed, wormed, vet checked and chipped. Ill add that to my these to my list thanks!

TheGreenSheep

The average size for a cavoodle is standing 30-35cm. Any suggestion on what size crate to buy?