Sign in to follow this  
Daffy2016

Sylvanian families house?

Daffy2016

DD is three in September and very into dolls and dollhouses (no idea where she got that from...). She has a koala sylvanian family and a few accessories she loves, so I’m thinking about getting her one of the houses for her birthday.

Does anyone have one? Are they generally pretty good or too small and fiddly? She has pretty good fine motor skills but I can’t really get an idea of the size just from online pics.

Thanks!

coastlife
6 minutes ago, Daffy2016 said:

ly and a few accessories she loves, so I’m thinking about getting her one of the houses for her birthday.

Does anyone have one? Are they generally pretty good or too small a

My DD had heaps of this more so after the age of 5...   I would have considered buying the Cosy Cottage around 3 as a starter piece, probably not that the bigger ones like Beechwood Hall etc.  The car was a hit too and worth considering ....

• Like 1

Winter frost

I lot of people like them but I found the Sylvania families stuff very plastically and not as nice as the animals themselves. We had car that broke v quickly.

An alternative is to consider buying a dolls hous that she can use the Sylvania families animals in. That’s what my little girl did.

• Like 1

kiwi-girl

We just got a wooden dolls house from IKEA and used that with the Sylvanian families figures and accessories/furniture - worked really well

• Like 1

AllyK81

The SF houses are very small and don't have as good opportunities for 360 degree play.

We got a beautiful large doll house with wooden furniture for DD for her 1st birthday. She is nearly 5 and plays with is with her SF animals nearly every day. The SF furniture is pretty crappy too.

She wants a Barbie dream house now to put next to the doll's house to create 'a village'. Lucky we have a big house...

• Like 1

BornToLove

DD has the ‘cozy cottage’ and it’s a good ‘starter’ house. With your DD’s age, some of the accessories are small and fiddley. I’d keep those put away until she’s a bit older but the furniture and size would be good for a 3 year old 

• Like 2

alias grace

We bought Beechwood Hall for our 3 yo DD for Christmas.  To be honest, I find the rooms much too small relative to the size of the furniture and figurines.  There's not enough space to set up the rooms properly let alone maneuver through play.  I would second PPs' suggestions of buying a larger dolls house and using the SF figurines if she enjoys those.   

• Like 1

Daffy2016

Thanks everyone! I thought the SF houses might be a bit squashy. Can anyone recommend a good house with large rooms that’s not too appallingly expensive?

a letter to Elise.

My son and daughter were really into sylvanian families, so we have a few of the houses. They can be tricky for little kids to play with because they can only access from one or two sides, so they accidentally mess up the furniture and get upset. 

if I were buying again, I’d get a nice doll house from Le plan or something like that, and just use the furniture in that. My kids really love the detail in the furniture, and like it a lot more than the wooden dolls house furniture. 

I packed away the accessories until they were older. They are very, very small, and would be lost or eaten within a day. One set came with a baking tray, and the little cakes it came with were about 3-4mm. 

• Like 1

spr_maiden

Aldi used to do a really well-priced plain house that I know so many families had and loved. DD got a big plan dollhouse, and it was a waste of space and money.

Check 2nd hand,  marketplace etc.  You can find a good deal on there. If you really want to get her some thing  SF - the caravan/campervan is cute, as is tree house. Campervan is bit  fiddly but well-loved here,  and v the tree house DD bought herself 2nd hand and 2(?) Years in, it is still in excellent condition. 

• Like 1

Jenflea

I bought DD a Le Toy Van doll's house when she was about 3.  With the furniture as well. I found the best price was at Peter's of Kensington and it's a good time with the sale on to look around I'd think too. 

DD had the Sylvanian Family's grocery shop and it was the fiddliest thing to put together, the tiny pieces all needed to be punched out and stickers stuck on..nightmare. 

The car has lasted for years though. 

• Like 1

RPM

We bought this dolls house from Kmart when my daughter turned 3.  It is only $59 and good quality - it has survived through 2 girls.

Wooden Cottage Dollhouse

• Like 1