Sign in to follow this  
Grassisgreen

Corona supplement & jobkeeper extended?

Grassisgreen

What do people think will happen to the current government support come September? 

the corona supplement is currently given to all who receive payments aside from pension and disability. Do you think they will drop that and just give it to jobseeker payments? 

and how about jobkeeper? 

Surely they won’t cut everything at once, that would be monumentally stupid. But I’m guessing they won’t keep up the current level of support. What will be cut? 

I wish they would just tell us. I have a few family members who are going to be affected and I’m worrying for them. 

born.a.girl

With one here on jobkeeper and one on jobseeker, and both in industries unlikely to see any action soon, I'm pretty invested too.  Fortunately for them, they don't have to make ends meet as we're supporting them, but it would sure be nice if they could be independent and know that adequate support was there when they needed it. 

I don't understand much about childcare rebates etc so can't comment on the validity of support to childcare changing from jobkeeper to a different type of support - I read the comments here and they seemed to be mixed.  In the absence of a concept of free childcare for all, most seemed to thing it was reasonable.

Perhaps they'll do something similar with other industries? Some will not have suffered as much ongoing, others will be struggling for ages.  I guess the easy bit with childcare was that both centres and families were already registered with Centrelink.

As for jobseeker, if the (denied) rumours of a $150 rise per fortnight are true, pft, no one can live on that, and there are going to be plenty who need to, much later than september.  Perhaps it's a rise in jobseeker and reduction in coronavirus supplement (it's currently shown as a separate line in payments). About time it was tied to average weekly earnings, like many other benefits are.  Piddling increases generally, but at least it's not at the whim of the ruling political party.

SummerStar
Posted (edited)

Edited by SummerStar

nom_de_plume

What I think will happen is they'll increase Jobseeker by maybe $200 per fortnight. It won't go back to what it was before Covid-19, but it won't stay doubled either.

What I think should happen is the introduction of a universal basic income. They could abolish all this complicated legislation and the people required to administer it. Things like robodebt would never be an issue again. Services Australia could focus their time on providing people who can and do want to get back into the workforce with genuine assistance, instead of palming them off to useless for profit job agencies.