Sign in to follow this  
22Fruitmincepies

Less expensive iPhone purchase

22Fruitmincepies

My parents need new iPhones (they know how to use them so don’t want to change brand), they have hand-me-downs from family members that are very old and are now barely functional (my dad has my original iPhone 4!). They don’t want to spend a lot, but do want something that will last. 

Where is the best place to buy something? Should they get a new older model or a second hand more recent model? 

Hypnic Jerk

I bought both my iPhones off Ebay.    No issues.  One was a steal, the other a fair price.

born.a.girl

Four of us got reconditioned iphone 6S versions when Aldi had them as a special offer.

Two of them still going strong 18 x months later.

My battery gave up 2 days before end of warranty.

Husband's phone needed $180 spent on it recently.

Think I'd still go the same way again, as even with the extra repair cost, it's been cost effective buying them that way.

dadwasathome

Kogab or d*ck Smith (both Kogan anyway) sell refurbished. You can get an iPhone8 A grade for $499.

An iPhone XR is $749 from Apple, iPhone X a similar price form Kogan etc. and 8 is probably the very oldest I'd consider, but is a 4-5 year old model

• Thanks 1

22Fruitmincepies

Thanks @dadwasathome 

My brother used to be a chronic upgrader, so the old model phones would be given to whoever needed a new one. Then he got a Sydney mortgage and discovered he could actually make do with the same phone for years... :lol: 

• Haha 2

emma_jean

I’d probably replace my 6s with a new SE for about $750. it is still a considerable amount of money though

jmjsa

Not sure what they want to spend but I just bought an iPhone 7 from big w for 489

Mrs Claus

Cellect mobile (no space) sell refurbished ones and I’ve never had an issue with them

Fizgig

DH just bought a new iPhone 7 from Officeworks for $500. Pretty good deal.