Yippee-Ki-Yay

How reliable are the skin checking apps? new Q about shave biopsies

Yippee-Ki-Yay
Posted (edited)

Disclaimer, I will be making a gp appt to get this looked at.

just wondering if anyone know how reliable the skin checking apps are. The ones where you take a photo of a spot and it goes to a dermatologist for a review.

i had a spot which seemed to start as a blood blister about three months ago but has now grown and darkened. I used one of those apps and I got a message from a doctor who reviews the photos telling me it looks like skin cancer and I need it seen to ASAP and to call her and she will put me in touch with someone local to me. I’m wondering if I am being duped. I googled the doctor and she does run a skin cancer clinic in nsw if it is indeed her who sent me the message. 

I was just going to wait until I get to see my gp which may take a week or two, but if the apps are generally reliable, maybe I should go to a walk-in tomorrow?

Edited by Yippee-Ki-Yay

Cheesy Sanga

I'm not sure how it could be scam unless they are telling people to go see a certain GP  when they don't really need to.

If you are worried enough to take a pic to send to an online skin check place then I'd say it's worth getting a GP to have a look in person sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

Yippee-Ki-Yay

Yes, you’re right, of course. I just have so much on my plate that I don’t want to face it, I guess. It’s just one more thing to add to the list. I used two different apps and got two different doctors saying it was ‘concerning’ and ‘suspicious’ so rather than try to reason my way out I just need to add it to my list of priorities. Thanks pp.

• Like 1

got my tinsel on

Do it now.

My brother has just had a 5 cent coin sized scaly thing removed from his lower leg (over his shin).  He now has a skin graft covering the 6cm surgical site.

Yippee-Ki-Yay

Just made the appt (booked online) in for Monday morning. 

Could really use the universe letting up a bit!

• Like 1

Yippee-Ki-Yay

Saw GP this morning. I now have two biopsies booked in for Thursday. He said one is definitely suspicious (the one I was worried about) and the other less so (not far from the first bit but smaller, flat and less change) but worth checking.  Thanks for the kind nudge PP's. 

• Like 2

lozoodle
Posted (edited)

Blood blister as in purple coloured? I would be going right away for that. Could be a nodular melanoma. Probably isn't, but go get it looked at immediately!

Sorry don't mean to be preachy, this is a close to home topic for me, a family member has stage 4 melanoma.  Best to check and find out its nothing than the other way :)

Hope all is ok!

Edit - I just saw your update that you have had it looked at. Good to hear, hope you have good results :)

Edited by lozoodle
  • Like 1

Yippee-Ki-Yay

Just for other's benefits, the app seems to have a few good failsafes. I had three phone calls over the last three days making sure I had followed up with my doctor and checking to see how I was going. 

• Like 2

Soontobegran

Nothing will replace a doctor's visit so I think anything that may give someone a false sense that their spot is probably okay is a disaster waiting to happen. 

It doesn't matter how clear any photo is it is not the same.

• Like 1

Yippee-Ki-Yay

Im not for one second saying that, I hope I didnt give that impression. I would imagine with any skin check app, it should always tell you to see a GP due to the limitations you mention. In fact the feedback I received had a very visible disclaimer that the app was not intended to be a diagnostic tool and that all spots which change or worry someone should be shown to a medical professional. For me though, it was enough to see that in writing and know I should make the appointment. It isnt meant to replace a doctor's visit at all. I also think the follow up from dermatologists from the app would help ensure that people follow through.  

• Like 1

Yippee-Ki-Yay

Can anyone tell me if I will be given a local anaesthetic for two shave biopsies? One is on my fourth toe of my right foot and the other is just above the inner ankle on my right leg. Im wondering if I will be right to drive myself home afterwards or if the locals (if given) will make it hard to use that foot to drive.

lozoodle

I think you will be ok to drive even with a local. Good luck with the biopsies!

born.a.girl

The local in my ear for the biopsy was much less than was used later for the removal.  For the biopsy far, far less noticeable than a dental injection.