3babygirls

Is this rude?

3babygirls

Organising a birthday party for my eldest at a local novelty play centre.  This is our first non home party with friends from her school too. 

The price is per person for those using the equipment, so kid or adult for the party package. 

The kids will all be 3-4 (with maybe one or two younger than that). I'm just wanting to include the kids, because not all the adults will want to actually use the equipment with the kids.

So I was thinking that I might just pay for the kids, and then pay for one adult for the kids under three. Then put on the invitation if any of the other adults want to also play that they will have to pay (but wording it better?) Is that rude? I just don't want to pay for all the adults for them not to use the equipment etc. and it's pretty expensive to start with

What do you think? 

~*~blizzy~*~

I would have zero concern about this at all. 

just a small note saying the kids invited are covered but anyone else, including adults who wish to supervise on the equipment will cover their own costs

• Like 5

Lou-bags

I think it depends. 

I'm not familiar with the kind of play centre you're talking about (because the ones I've been to there is either no charge for adults - or there is a 'token' charge for adults and it usually includes a 'free' coffee). 

What is the set up like? Are the adults able to adequately supervise their children without needing to pay?

• Like 2

melanieb530
Posted (edited)

3 year olds would generally need parent supervision around behaviour and assistance with going to the toilet etc so I’d pay for one adult per child unless the venue allows parents to supervise at a distance and enter the play area if needed. 

Edited by melanieb530
  • Like 2

doubledelight

With most parties you don't need to pay for parents to be present but I think if parents want to go on equipment or let additional children play then they pay.  You pay for your family and the invited children.  I tended to have a platter for the adults as a courtesy

melanieb530

I’m also curious as to what type of equipment that is safe and suitable for 3 year olds would still be played on by adults?!?! 

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

Kiwi Bicycle

Maybe a jumping castle or trampoline place? All the parties I have been to like that, the adults stand and watch but don't participate. Kids and adults jumping together don't mix well. Same with public swimming pool parties for older kids. 

• Like 1

Bam1

If you are asking me to bring my 3yo to a play centre that they can only play on if supervised by an adult and then expect me to pay - I’d pay but be a bit wtf. 

• Like 4

seayork2002
5 minutes ago, Bam1 said:

If you are asking me to bring my 3yo to a play centre that they can only play on if supervised by an adult and then expect me to pay - I’d pay but be a bit wtf. 

Yes, to me it is not really about the money as such but if my child needed to have me there to supervise then unless the party was for a close friend relative I would be declining.

I do not find asking for extra to pay as rude in itself but if a party gets too complicated I am sorry but it would be a no.

• Like 1

born.a.girl

I'm a bit confused, do you mean you'll pay for the parent if their child is three, but not if their child is four?  Or did you mean you'll pay for one parent for the whole group as an extra supervisor?

I think, like pps, if my 3 - 4 year old was invited somewhere that required supervision that cost money, I'd be a bit conflicted. When my kid was that age our money was the tightest it's ever been in my life - I actually spent the grand total of $20 one of those years as our total adult clothes budget, and that was the mid nineties. 

If you have a budget, allocate accordingly, but only exclude parents if it's possible for their kids to play without their individual supervision.

• Like 2

Luci

Without knowing exactly what the equipment is it’s a bit hard to say.  As mentioned by a PP at most playcentres it is free for adults or a small token amount.  Young kids need close supervision including possibly going on the equipment with them. 

if it’s an indoor trampoline place adults generally understand that you have to pay & have a wristband to jump. I have been to lots of parties at trampoline places & the adults just stand around watching the kids, they don’t expect to join in. 

doubting thomas

Shows how old I am! The idea of joining in with the kiddies on a trampoline or anything elsenis unthinkable! PP do you mean adult entry? Not adult use of the bouncy castle or whatever it is?

• Like 3

Let-it-go

Go to a park!  So much easier at this age.  Ugh I hated my kids being invited to those places when they were little.  Such hard work.  

• Like 1

Mooples

My son is 4, if other kids had their parents playing with them he’d want me playing too. I’d be a bit annoyed that because he was 4 you hadn’t paid but if my 2 year old was invited you would have covered for me. I think all children should have an adult covered. Though like others I’ve not been to a play set up like this. If it is trampolines like mentioned up thread I don’t think it’s really aimed at 3 year olds so not sure ds2 would hold interest for a whole party anyway. 

3babygirls
2 hours ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

Maybe a jumping castle or trampoline place? All the parties I have been to like that, the adults stand and watch but don't participate. Kids and adults jumping together don't mix well. Same with public swimming pool parties for older kids. 

Yes, its a place like this.

Sorry I should have clarified.
Its a jumping castle type place. We've been to birthdays there before and the 3-4 year olds seem fine on the jumping castle stuff and the parents have generally just chatting and supervised. They don't charge for parents to be there, but they charge if they want to get on the equipment. From previous experience I haven't seen any of the parents of the 3-4 year olds actually go on, so I don't want to pay an extra $15 per adult if they aren't going to actually go on.

For the younger ones, like the 1-2 year olds they will definitely need a parent on there so i'm totally happy to pay for them. I just don't want to spend a possible extra $200 if the parents aren't going to jump etc. 

• Like 1

Soontobegran
4 minutes ago, 3babygirls said:

Yes, its a place like this.

Sorry I should have clarified.
Its a jumping castle type place. We've been to birthdays there before and the 3-4 year olds seem fine on the jumping castle stuff and the parents have generally just chatting and supervised. They don't charge for parents to be there, but they charge if they want to get on the equipment. From previous experience I haven't seen any of the parents of the 3-4 year olds actually go on, so I don't want to pay an extra $15 per adult if they aren't going to actually go on.

For the younger ones, like the 1-2 year olds they will definitely need a parent on there so i'm totally happy to pay for them. I just don't want to spend a possible extra $200 if the parents aren't going to jump etc. 

I didn't know these places were open again. To be honest I would not be happy going to an indoor child's pay centre at the moment but aside from that my children always said on the invitation that the guest was paid for and accompanying parents were free unless they wished to pay to play. Extra children were welcome but all food and fun was the financial responsibility of the parent.

Some people are ridiculously self entitled.

• Like 2

Dianalynch

I don’t think parents will be expecting to ‘play,’ in fact it would be kind of weird if they did anything other than supervise standing near the bouncy stuff. I’ve been to tons of those parties, no adult has ever played. I also think if an adult is supervising a 1-2 year old, helping them bounce or whatever, the centre is unlikely to charge for that - you know unless the adult let’s rip with triple somersaults or something . Often there’s a special little area for really young kids, the under 3 section, is there something like that where you’re going? 

atm I’d be more worried about attending a gathering, but I’m in Melbourne so we’re all a bit worried again here 

• Like 2

Let-it-go

Based upon your latest update, no I wouldn’t pay for any.  On the day, if you need to, deal with it then.

In SA they open next week.

• Like 1

Luci

I would contact the Bouncy Castle Place and explain to them that some of the party guests will be very young children who might require a parent to come with them on the equipment and you wish to clarify that you would not be required to pay for that. It would seem unreasonable to expect a parent to have to pay to help a 2 year old on play equipment.  Its possible that some parents might hop on a castle to help a young child and bounce a couple of times themselves but I would just deal with it on the day. 

laridae

If it's like the one near me, all under 5s are restricted to a small area unless they go on with a parent. I don't think it would be a good choice for 3-4 year olds and I'd pick somewhere else.

3babygirls
31 minutes ago, laridae said:

If it's like the one near me, all under 5s are restricted to a small area unless they go on with a parent. I don't think it would be a good choice for 3-4 year olds and I'd pick somewhere else.

They have a whole section that is for under 5s. We've been to a lot of 3rd and 4th birthdays here and there's never been any problems, even with the 3rd birthday parties, the kids were actually totally fine even in the sections for older kids.

*Arcadia*

We have an inflatable place near us and I’ve been to a few parties there. Parents never jump just stand to the side supervising. I would never expect the party host to pay for me to jump. I don’t think the three year olds will need an adult on with them if it’s anything like our local one. DD has been at 3 and was fine going on the ones for older kids as well as the under 5’s. 

laridae
3 hours ago, 3babygirls said:

They have a whole section that is for under 5s. We've been to a lot of 3rd and 4th birthdays here and there's never been any problems, even with the 3rd birthday parties, the kids were actually totally fine even in the sections for older kids.

Ours won’t let them in the section for older kids unless a parent goes on too. So different from the one near me.