Sign in to follow this  
savannah_8

Elderly father living in under $200 a week is it doable?

savannah_8

My father is having to move out of where he is living due to being unhappy where he is as it’s a toxic environment for him, we don’t have room at our house unfortunately so he will be renting. After rent he will have $200 a week for food and Medicine (if needed) from his pension. We will be paying his bills and making meals for him also. He has a small amount of savings but i would rather him keep that for an emergency. Im his carer and I feel horrible about this situation, I feel that pensioners dont have enough support financially,  is anyone a carer they has been in this tough situation and how you managed to support them? Thanks 

Mrs Claus

Depending on his bills- if you are paying bills then I think it’s definitely doable

• Like 4

rosie28

It would depend on his medication costs. Does he have a health care card? What about transport costs? If he is just doing basic groceries and you’re doing some meals and his medication isn’t too expensive then I think it’s doable. 

• Like 2

savannah_8
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, rosie28 said:

It would depend on his medication costs. Does he have a health care card? What about transport costs? If he is just doing basic groceries and you’re doing some meals and his medication isn’t too expensive then I think it’s doable. 

Medication is only if he gets a cold so he will be on augmentin as he has a risk of pneumonia, I will pay for his medication too if he lets me lol. Transport he gets taxis only but half price as he is in a wheelchair and only local shops 

Edited by savannah_8

savannah_8
7 hours ago, Mrs Claus said:

Depending on his bills- if you are paying bills then I think it’s definitely doable

I think so too, but it’s still a bit stressful. Mainly as he would be too proud to ask for help financially if he needed it. I am happy he will be living in peace though 

born.a.girl

Has he had an ACAT/ACAS assessment?   I know he'll probably be resistant (ask me how I know!) but if he hasn't had one, present it to him as a way for the government to find out how they can further assist him.  There is actually significant support, but unfortunately it's often the case that they are too proud to acknowledge the need for support, so it falls back on to family, and given some of the waiting times, the person deteriorates while waiting.   There is generally a waiting list, depending on the level of urgency, so the sooner he's assessed the sooner his name will come to the top of the list.

Our local council were offering meals on wheels to people over a certain age, living alone without any further assessment during Covid, but that's Vic, and obviously everywhere else is less of a threat to him.

Have you been in contact with the local council, to see what they offer? 

-Emissary-

If you’re covering all his bills and a good chunk of his food, I think he’ll be alright.

BECZ

So his only expenses (typically) will be some food, taxi fares and meds, along with the odd purchase of clothing etc.?

I think he’ll be absolutely fine!

Your dad’s lucky to have someone like you!

• Like 2

Chicken Pie

Ditto to Becz