Sign in to follow this  
Fillama

Birth support partner

Fillama

Hi all, my SIL has asked me to be a birth support partner for when she has her first baby next month. I am so sooo excited and feel so honoured to have been asked. The thing is even though I've had 3 babies myself,  I have never been present for another birth. 

I would love any advice or tips on how to best support my SIL during the birth,  she's aiming for a natural birth at home. 

I'm meeting the midwife and doula this week as I feel that's important for me to meet them and develop a connectoon before the big day. Does anyone have any other tips for me that I may not have thought of? 

Tia :) 

IamtheMumma

Just be there and support her. After the meeting with the doula and midwife, you'll have more of an idea of what she wants. She may just want to hold your hand and not be alone or she may want you to be an active participant in helping her get through it (massaging, swaying with her, letting her lean on you, getting into the shower/bath with her). 

Tell her how fantastic, amazing and awesome she is. If she has a a baby shower, you could ask family and friends to write a special message to her for when she's in labour. Extended family who weren't able to make it can also be included.  Their positive words can help give her "a village" while she labours. 

Buy some of her favourite foods so she can peck at them when labouring. Have a bottle of her favourite drink ready to celebrate post birth.  

Help her make a spotify playlist, or just a music playlist, to play in the background. Songs may have meaning or it might be create a nice environment.