Catzilla

General AFL and State League (SANFL, VFL, etc.) Chat Season 2020

Catzilla
Posted (edited)

It's been so good to have footy back this weekend. I didn't seem to miss it in the two month layoff, but now it's back, I'm realising what I missed.

Edited by Catzilla
  • Like 3

born.a.girl

Yep, I enjoyed it to. Contrary to my expectations, the background 'crowd noise' made me forget there was no crowd until the vision made it obvious. They still need an 'outrage' button, though, ha ha.

I'm not sure how much we can make of matches this weekend - not all players would have reacted the same to the enforced isolated training. We don't make an awful lot of the first practice matches of the year.

That's not speaking as a sore loser, either. Geelong thrashing Hawthorn is as rare as hen's teeth - most of our games are very close.

I'll post Freo's response to a racist fan here for others who didn't see the showdown thread:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/448858/freo-cancels-membership-over-black-lives-matter-dons-fan-steps-up

• Like 2

dadwasathome

It would good to see some things never change - still plenty of booing in the Adelaide local derby.

It seemed to be a scrappy game, but a little surprising how Port ran away in the second half. Hawks/Cats on Friday was a better game.

Good on the Suns with their win, but I had to laugh at a reporter talking about "Suns fans" - are they in double figures :p ?

• Like 1

Catzilla

The Crows have never recovered properly from the debacle that was the 2017 grand final (and I was there that fateful day). It’s like Port’s own grand final debacle of 119 back in 2007 - that also took years for them to fully get over and start playing relatively well again. I wish I could be confident the Crows will get more ruthless and skilled in the next few years, but I can’t.

• Like 4

born.a.girl

The Crows have never recovered properly from the debacle that was the 2017 grand final (and I was there that fateful day). It’s like Port’s own grand final debacle of 119 back in 2007 - that also took years for them to fully get over and start playing relatively well again. I wish I could be confident the Crows will get more ruthless and skilled in the next few years, but I can’t.

I actually thought the Crows might have been able to leave that behind them with Covid throwing something much bigger into all of our lives.

I think they've lost quite a few players though, haven't they, over the final and its aftermath with the camp etc.?

Catzilla

Yep. We’ve had good players leaving for ages. Our player retention skills are horrible.

born.a.girl

It would good to see some things never change - still plenty of booing in the Adelaide local derby.

It seemed to be a scrappy game, but a little surprising how Port ran away in the second half. Hawks/Cats on Friday was a better game.

Good on the Suns with their win, but I had to laugh at a reporter talking about "Suns fans" - are they in double figures Tounge1.gif ?

Much as I loved Geelong thrashing Hawthorn, I'd have thought the last quarter would have been a bit boring for neutrals. I have to confess I rarely continue to watch any one-sided match that doesn't include my own team.

As for the Suns, a team that have been around for five minutes, who've not done very well, I'd have thought it's as you'd expect.

Those things will take generations, although I suspect GWS have a greater chance of success than Suns in that regard.

There are kids growing up who've only known the Suns as their team. They'll all be out in full force when they do better.

Most of the teams who've been around for more than 100 years see their support fall off a cliff if they're not doing well.

• Like 1

dadwasathome

Those things will take generations, although I suspect GWS have a greater chance of success than Suns in that regard

Most of the teams who've been around for more than 100 years see their support fall off a cliff if they're not doing well.

You're talking about the Swans with that last comment, aren't you :)

GWS are already doing well, and have been extrememly active in recruiting fans. Having a home base near the demographic centre of the city helps, but good results help too.

born.a.girl

You're talking about the Swans with that last comment, aren't you original.gif

GWS are already doing well, and have been extrememly active in recruiting fans. Having a home base near the demographic centre of the city helps, but good results help too.

No, I'm talking about every team who's in the doldrums.

e.g. Geelong could play Richmond at Geelong until a few years ago, because the ground could accommodate the fans who wanted to go, because Richmond generally lost.

You could have fitted the Essendon fans into the local footy ground in their 'suspension' year. Not all fans will turn up for any old match.

If people's budget is tight (and tickets are not cheap) then they're going to save going for games where at least there's a fighting chance of a good game, at least.

• Like 1

Vicbitt9

Good on the Suns with their win, but I had to laugh at a reporter talking about "Suns fans" - are they in double figures :p ?

All I can say about the Suns is that as soon as I saw the score, my husband was watching but I wasn’t, I had to ask him if my eyesight was failing, and then when it wasn’t I said, “ I guess the Suns are very used to playing with virtually no fans”

No we’re a general love footy for footy’s sake family (hence why Collingwood isn’t the only team that we watch) but I wasn’t meaning to be catty, I just thought it was factually true!

Now that others are being cheeky, I thought I could safely share!!

• Like 1

Catzilla

Gold Coast isn’t the only team to struggle to get fans to games when it all goes belly up. Port and their tarps are legendary here in SA.

annodam

Personally, I think the season should be canned.

I don’t take this lightly, we have 4 memberships here worth nearly $4000 sitting idle that I’m prepared to write off, we are not asking for a refund, although I do understand some fans are asking questions.

The AwFuL are only interested in the money, the restrictions/demands they are placing on players is unreasonable especially since restrictions are easing for everyone else.

born.a.girl
Posted (edited)

It's not unreasonable at all. The rest of us can not do what the players are doing on the field and in training.

In my boot camp we still have to maintain our distance. At my physio pilates it's now two instead of four people.

The extra restrictions are so they don't have to follow the restrictions the rest of us do, during training and play.

I wouldn't have minded the season being canned, either, but a lot of people had input into this decision, including, and especially the players.

ETA: BTW the restrictions are at the directive of the Health Department. They're the ones who decide whether the extra restrictions outside 'work' are sufficient for them to be able to 'work' normally.

Edited by born.a.girl
  • Like 3

Catzilla

It will be interesting to see how the remaining 15 games + finals will pan out, with all this Covid stuff and restrictions going on. Who's going to be strong enough to overcome it all and come out on top in the end? Having said that, I'm looking forward to 2021, where we may return to having some semblance of a "normal" season more like what we've become accustomed to before this year.

• Like 1

annodam

Well no not really, my son has been back to training from last week, swimming is starting up again soon too.

School is also back, so life for us is very close to being back to normal.

AFL players are not allowed to mix with anyone other than their own immediate families.

I went out to brunch before with 7 friends, now tell me if an AFL player is allowed to do that?

No they’re not, they & their immediate families are still bound by strict isolation rules.

born.a.girl
Posted (edited)

Well no not really, my son has been back to training from last week, swimming is starting up again soon too.

School is also back, so life for us is very close to being back to normal.

AFL players are not allowed to mix with anyone other than their own immediate families.

I went out to brunch before with 7 friends, now tell me if an AFL player is allowed to do that?

No they’re not, they & their immediate families are still bound by strict isolation rules.

I've just explained why.

Bet you didn't go out to brunch and wrestle and roll around on the ground with your friends.

But never mind, the best minds have worked out the rules, I'm happy with that.

ETA: Training for adults in victoria is coming back soon. AFL & NRL way ahead of what's allowed for the general public ADULTS.

Edited by born.a.girl
  • Like 2

~Jolly_F~

Meh if they dont want to live by the restrictions, dont play.

There are plenty of people who can do the job as well as you waiting to take over. Which is why they all agree to the rules and play because they all know that they are easily replaceable!

And sure there are some outstanding players here and there but most of them arent that, they are good at it but the next good thing is waiting to have their shot!

Same as NRL.

• Like 3

Lees75

Some of the difficulties with the restrictions on the AFL players is the difference in restrictions and active case numbers from state to state, and yet having to stick by Vic rules.

I’m not one to stick up for Ollie Wines, but I did feel slightly sorry for him that he was suspended for doing a contractual media interview, socially distanced, outside on the porch of his house, in a state with no active cases.

But on the other hand, they know the rules.

• Like 2

born.a.girl

Some of the difficulties with the restrictions on the AFL players is the difference in restrictions and active case numbers from state to state, and yet having to stick by Vic rules.

I’m not one to stick up for Ollie Wines, but I did feel slightly sorry for him that he was suspended for doing a contractual media interview, socially distanced, outside on the porch of his house, in a state with no active cases.

But on the other hand, they know the rules.

They're not difficulties for the players - they are in their own little AFL bubble with their own Australia wide rules which would all be blindingly clear to them.

At one stage Vic was a bit ahead of SA with people being able to train together, but the Vic teams couldn't do so, because it wasn't an option Australia wide, including SA. (I believe SA then brought theirs forward.)

There are three players in Vic suffering similar consequences for things which would be allowed for other people.

They chose to play with the restrictions, and as you say, they know the rules, and they know the consequences.

• Like 1

Expelliarmus

Without this season, even though it is definitely not the same and is questionable as a season in it's own right, the 2021 season would be as bad as this one because they'd have so long between playing.

Calls for scrapping the season and 'just start again next year' are ridiculous given the negative impact that would have on the 2021 season. This season might not be good as a season of football, but it needs to be played to keep things ticking for next year.

• Like 3

Squeekums The Elf

I'm so glad footy is back, my weekend felt normal

Even happier Port won. May have been scrappy in parts but our kids stood tall

This is very true. That grand final and that training camp. The culture down there is rumoured to be average at best too.

Its taken the better part of a decade for Port to become competitive again, it sucks but teams do recover

Gold Coast isn’t the only team to struggle to get fans to games when it all goes belly up. Port and their tarps are legendary here in SA.

And yet we didnt bring them out for the stands with no supporters, I thought we were set for corona no crowd prep, we had the tarps already lol

I'm gobsmacked at sun's win but happy for them.

So disappointed with a draw for first game back though, what a fizzer

• Like 1

Catzilla

Exactly. Imagine how much match fitness players would have lost by 2021 if this season was scrapped, even if they played a handful of glorified scratch matches later in the year.

• Like 1

born.a.girl

It would have been really disappointing to see players who only intended to play one more year, either give up the idea, or try to maintain enthusiasm and hunger through to next year.

Anyway, at least for a few hours the other night, life felt vaguely back to normal!

A win was the icing on top.

I don't know about Adelaide, seems to be an awful lot going on there, but the losers like Hawthorn and West Coast I suspect will bounce back.

• Like 2

Catzilla

Sadly, I don't think we've hit rock bottom yet. It'll be a couple more years at least potentially before we see much of an attempt at a bounce back (and hopefully that won't turn out to be a belly flop instead).

• Like 2