Sign in to follow this  
Teah

#4 and scared!

Teah

Hi ladies

Just recently found out #4 is on its way, very surprised but #4 was wanted just not so soon. We have a 4,2 & 1yr old already and it's already full on!

I'm scared because next yr my 4yr old starts kindy and I will have to take her. How the hell do I manage that without leaving kids in the car?!?

I'm thinking I will need to use my double pram and then strap my newborn to me??? Is this ridiculous? Just to walk her in??

Not to mention it will be my 4th c-section so I'm thinking she will have to start in second term and miss first term just so I can heel properly.?!?!

I don't know, I'm confused and overwhelmed and this may sound really silly to some ppl but I'm worried I won't be able to pull it off!

Has anyone been in this situation? What's your advice?

fascinated
Posted (edited)

The 2 year old will be closer to 3 or already 3 by them so could walk with the eldest. Baby in a sling and the 1 year old in an umbrella stroller. The following year you will need to do school pick ups and drop offs 5 days per week so this will be good practice.

Edited by fascinated
  • Like 2

melanieb530

Will she go with other people? Can You Drive to and from school and find another Mum willing to walk her in or walk her out? Do you have a family member or neighbour who can come over and watch the baby while you do pick up/drop off?

Islander
Posted (edited)

The school might have a solution like the teachers aide walking her to and from the car park too. Definitely talk to them. But yes, I think a pram and baby carrier combo wouldn’t be too much either. And all of it will feel so much more achievable when you actually have to do it...

Edited to add: I don’t think the walk to and from the car will turn out to be too hard, but I do imagine leaving the house/loading everyone in will be a bit sucky!

Edited by Islander
  • Like 2

5lilchicks

While you're healing I would arrange with the teachers for your DD to arrive 15 mins later and leave 10 mins early, once the crowd has cleared. This will also give you a little more time to get everyone out the house in the morning. You may find you need the double pram and bubs strapped to you and this is what I would do with kids so young to keep them all safe.

• Like 1

Jenflea

I'm assuming you have a partner.

Can they do the drop offs at first until you're on your feet more?

The 4 yr old will be old enough to stand next to the car safely while you get the others out, then you all go in together and everyone coos over the new baby while you settle the oldest in to school.

• Like 1

Teah

Teah

While you're healing I would arrange with the teachers for your DD to arrive 15 mins later and leave 10 mins early, once the crowd has cleared. This will also give you a little more time to get everyone out the house in the morning. You may find you need the double pram and bubs strapped to you and this is what I would do with kids so young to keep them all safe.

Great idea!! Thankyou

• Like 1

Teah
  • Like 2

Soontobegran

It will be hard but you can do it.

Your recovery from your C/S should not impact your ability to drive for very long so delaying your child starting school at the same time as everyone else should not be necessary. Remember that for most children the introduction is in stages with times and days increased exponentially.

You sound as though you have great support around you and that is awesome.

I had a newborn and # 1 starting school, #2 starting pre school, #3's first day at 3 year old kinder and a 1.5 year old who required a stroller all on the same day.....

I thought I was super organised but when I pulled up at the school DD1 said " Mum, you forgot the baby ".

Yes he was in his capsule asleep on the floor of our lounge room and there was a very panicked 3 minute drive home to find him still sound asleep.

Everyone was late of course after this.

I am sure you will not do the same but if you did they will survive and then continue to use this as ammunition for the next 30 years. :)

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Jenflea

Honestly, if your husband can take time off, he should.

They're his kids too, he needs to help out if he can.

My friend had a baby 2 years ago and her husband did all the drop offs and pick ups for about 4 weeks while she dealt with a newborn and healing.

• Like 3

born.a.girl

Hopefully you will find the bits of the puzzle fit together over time.

When my daughter did prep, a family we were friends with had a grade one finishing 3:30, their prep child finishing 2:30 first time, a year four kinder kid, and a baby a few months old.

Fortunately there were walking distance to the kinder, but I took the prep kid home with me first term, and the mother beeped outside after she'd picked up the grade one kid. I worked, but partly from home, and first term was cruisy.

Might be a good time to start trying to make the acquaintance of other parents with similar aged kids. There will be people among them who will be happy to help out.

Good luck with the planning!

• Like 1

Teah

Honestly, if your husband can take time off, he should.

They're his kids too, he needs to help out if he can.

My friend had a baby 2 years ago and her husband did all the drop offs and pick ups for about 4 weeks while she dealt with a newborn and healing.

My husband would love to stay home or even start work late for 4 weeks or more BUT unfortunately he is self employed and doesn't get paid to stay home and his our only income. We will only get the 2weeks paid dad leave from government BUT that is only min wage! So it's best that he goes to work. He will do what he can though and I'm sure he may be able to do pickups when he or if he gets home early so that would be great.

But my mum has said she will do her best to help out even if it means she starts work late on the two days she has kindy so I may take her up on that, especially in the first few weeks haha

Kallie88

Bloody 403 error

Kallie88

Firstly, congratulations!

We're also expecting #4 with a 4yo, that 2yo and 1yo. I'm due in a couple of months.

Our plan is for DH to do pick up and drop off while he's home, which will be 2 weeks dad and partner and 4 weeks annual leave, so sounds like that won't help you guys too much. If you can stretch the finances it might be worth looking at a babysitter for before and/or after kindy who can drop her off or pick her up for you. It would probably even be a nice extra hand for you in that busy hour or two. They could help dd get ready, and play with the kids when they bring her home for a bit. Even if it's just for a term so you feel confident in your recovery, and then you've also got a backup person if you need them.

• Like 1

gracie1978

It might not be as bad as you think.

I was freaking out about FYOS and baby twins. I had some OOSH care, had a nanny in the afternoons for three hours (could only afford that for two weeks) got DP to start a bit later etc

One day last week it was raining and the babies were asleep in the car. I couldn't get hold of any of the other parents so I just parked near where I know another mum parks and told the school she'd pick up DS, but she just didn't know it yet :)

Covid actually made this aspect of my life easier. I have a double pram, but also have a yoyo, so I can wear one baby and push the other.

Congratulations and good luck.

ipsee

When I had 3 little ones I found it was easier to walk to preschool than it was to get them all in and out of the car 4 times. That only works if it isn’t too far away tho!

• Like 2

Teah

ajo

Depending on finances there may the possibility of hiring a uni student to look after 2 of the children whilst you are doing pick ups - you could also pop out to the shops during this time

Just another idea :)

See if there are any other parents at preschool who could help you out .

• Like 1

maurie

when dd was at kinder, one of the other kid's mum had a broken leg and a toddler. The kinder teacher asked me (cos I only had 1 kid) if I'd mind walking the other kindy kid from/to the mum's car each morning/afternoon.

I didn't mind at all, it saved the poor mum from getting out of the car, on crutches, wrangling a toddler and 4yo.

• Like 3