Hands Up

Almost six, toileting and diet issues

Hands Up

I’ll try my best to summarise. Sorry about the TMI.

DS was a late toilet trainer - didn’t truly get poi’s in toilet until over four. Even so, regular accidents until five.

He has a history of allergies but was cleared via a wheat challenge to eat wheat around the time he was toilet training at 3.5. Still has multiple nut allergies.

Has had constipation for years which is now finally resolved, and was treated under medical supervision.

For the last eight months or so, DS has had occasional incidents of basically wet farting. First time the doctor thought it was a big but nothing showed up in tests.

After that he would have a single incident of this wet farting once a month or so. He would always get caught short and do it in his pants. Always accompanied by lots of flatulence, and I mean lots. There’s not a lot of actual poo when this happens. Just a small amount of brown liquid expelled while farting. He’s never been great on the toilet so it was unsurprising he would get caught short.

We brought it up with his allergist who didn’t think it was a big deal but suggested cutting out lactose and fruitcose which we did. But it’s now worse - every three days or so. Sometimes he makes it to the bathroom, sometimes not.

I’ve made an appointment with the GP and have been keeping a food and bowel movement diary as well as doing some further research.

I think it could be a gluten intolerance or possibly IBS. So we are going armed with the diary and for the next four days we are cutting out gluten to see if that makes a difference before we go.

I’ve also written down a history of his allergies, constipation, toilet tearing challenges etc.

Would you be prepping anything else? Asking any other questions beyond gluten and IBS? I’m not looking for medical advice of course, just any other avenues to explore.

MsLaurie

Try looking up “intestinal hurry” - it’s a bit of a catch all term for a sudden need to go, often with liquid-y poo, flatulance. Might give you some ideas of causes.

TMI I had this as an adult- cause found to actually be reflux which was basically resulting in a double dose of stomach acid in the system. But there can be many causes.

Ellie bean

This happens to my lactose intolerant son if he has too much dairy (but I appreciate your situation is much more complex so that’s probably not much help sorry)

Jamelex

Are you sure there’s no constipation still? Perhaps look into encopresis?

• Like 1

BusbyWilkes

I would be asking the GP for a referral to a paediatric gastroenterologist for a full assessment.

22Fruitmincepies

It made me think of a giardia infection, which can go on for months.

itsmumtime

You could look into encopresis as that was my first thought. Leakage due to damage in that area from previous constipation issues. Also is the constipation fully resolved. Also have you looked into balance and amount of fiber in diet soluble/non soluble. Some ideas for you.

Not Escapin Xmas

The farting suggests food intolerances to me. I have many and when I fall off the band wagon, omg the farts! And sometimes as you describe too. If you are in Sydney, the RPA Allergy Clinic would be my next step.

Hands Up

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses. I’ll look into all of this. I really appreciate it.

sarahec

Are you in Sydney? I can recommend a good paed GI.

I’m going through this with my 4 yo. Started soil undies daily. He’s had three bowel clear outs and is seeing a poo psychologist to work out why he with Withholds/ won’t use toilet on time.

Hands Up

Yes I am and would definitely appreciate a referral.

I don’t think it’s constipation. He does a BM every day in addition to the wet farting and looking at the Bristol chart no issues there.

Elliebean we cut out lactose and fruictose about ten weeks ago with no noticeable effect unfortunately.

I’ve looked up RPA allergy clinic and they are not currently taking new appointments due to covid 19. Sigh. I’ll call them Monday anyway and see if I can get on a wait list. In the meantime happy to go private under a paed gastro.

PrincessPeach

It made me think of a giardia infection, which can go on for months.

Giardia usually involves pain/cramps.

Even though you can't get into the RPA - thier book friendly foods might also give you some ideas on what to eliminate in groups.

• Like 1

22Fruitmincepies

Giardia usually involves pain/cramps.

Even though you can't get into the RPA - thier book friendly foods might also give you some ideas on what to eliminate in groups.

Usually, but worth mentioning. My thought bias is towards infection, that’s for sure.

Hands Up

So, we have been to see the GP and then the paed gastro armed with food diary etc.

To be honest the paed gastro wasn’t very helpful and thought it was within the realms of normal. It was on our insistence that she agreed to tests. 

so now the feaces test is back showing no bugs and the blood test is back showing no gluten issues but low in iron. The paed gastro has suggested we see a dietitian. She’s also suggested more iron in his diet and more fibre (but agrees not constipated).

In the meantime with lactose and fructose eliminates and gluten almost eliminated DS is still having attacks of flatulence every few days and occasionally (perhaps once a week) frothy poos or a tiny amount of liquid poo.

we will make an appointment with a paed dietician but honestly we are at a bit of a loss....