tobemommy

SRC Representative

tobemommy

Hello all

DS (6) Year 1 came back home fairly upset yesterday saying many kids in his school got a badge and it said on it "SRC"

Now I am educated overseas so didn't have a clue on what he was on about ! He kept saying why didn't he get one and other kids got it so I said I will google what it is and find out more for him !

This morning before he left for school he reminded me again lol

So after bit of googling it sounds like a class rep/monitor selected or voted by the students in the class. Sounds like the popular kid in the class gets voted ?

Question is what do I explain to him after he comes back ? Do i say it's voted by your classmates and next year you also would get a chance. What if he asks what qualities are needed blah blah ... sorry just trying to frame it right as all this is new to me ! Thank you !!

wannabe30

Our school has 2 reps from each class, voted by the class. And yes, it’s essentially a popularity contest.

In the higher years (3-6) kids have the option to run in the “election”’or not, and they prepare a speech saying why they’d be good. It’s still basically a popularity contest.

Our school also has a rule that if you’ve done it one year you can’t run again and if you already have a role (eg prefect or sports captain or whatever) you can’t also run for SRC, so that does share it around a bit.

Apart from the shiny badge they never seem to actually DO anything. The novelty of wearing the badges wears off pretty fast, so it will be less “in your face” for your DS over time.

• Like 3

123Tree

I would ask the school how they are selected. At our school they call them 'social justice leaders' or something, and the teachers select them.

I wouldn't necessarily tell your son that he would get a turn, it doesn't get shared around like you might expect.

• Like 2

hills mum bec

Our school used to have SRC reps where you would self nominate and the class would vote for the chosen rep, yes it was a popularity contest. They did away with it quite a few years ago and now have open forums where any student can attend and have a say on school issues that the teachers would like student feedback on. Our high school does have prefects but they are chosen by a teacher panel, not student vote.

As for what qualities an SRC rep would require apart from popularity - leadership skills, the ability to listen to what other students want and communicate that the the SRC committee.

lozoodle
Posted (edited)

Its a rep (or two) from each class. Yes it is voted, but they have to "run for it".

I wouldn't say he'll get a turn, because more than likely he wont simply due to the number of kids vs number of jobs, but maybe encourage other leadership roles at the school if he's interested?

Maybe speak to the school just about what options are out there? Year 1 seems a bit young for this anyway, our school only has them from 3-6.

Edited by lozoodle
  • Like 1

Chicken Pie

in our school kids say if they want to do it, and have to do a speech to the class about why, then kids vote

i promise its not the popular kids, well in our school anyways

FearsomeFeralFreak
Posted (edited)

Definitely just a popularity contest in most schools.

Its a role that serves no real purpose except to really cement to the kids who's cool and who's not.

Usually its the same kids (maybe with a couple of different outliers) year in, year out.

The year 6 school leaders have their nominations taken more seriously, with input from teachers, applications, speeches, etc. Decision is half students, half staff.

But for year 5 down popularity is all thats needed.

Edited by FearsomeFeralFreak
  • Like 2

SeaPrincess

in our school kids say if they want to do it, and have to do a speech to the class about why, then kids vote

i promise its not the popular kids, well in our school anyways

Same at our school, but it’s only for year 6 students. Definitely not entirely a popularity contest at our school either, nor is it equally made up of girls and boys. (We don’t make news though because we usually have more girls than boys.) We don’t have an official head boy and girl, but some years, there are clear standouts who would be those positions if we did.

ipsee

The two people I knew from school who were SRC reps are now both state and Federal politicians.

Jenflea

Our school does SRC, they do a speech and get voted on.

DD is in yr 4 and has been wanting to get in for years, this year she did.

Sometimes you don't get what you want, so he may never get chosen, or he might. He can try next year.

This year is a washout anyway lol due to covid.

seayork2002

Ds had this in primary but has they had to make a speech he never wanted and said he really didn't want to be one.

I reminded him when it was and said it is up to him if he wanted to do it but never did

He only started high school for a bit before Armageddon happened so not sure yet if there is any for high school

CrankyM
Posted (edited)

You have to do a speech here to get in and it's voted on here. Many schools though just see it as a popularity contest. SRC membership only starts from grade 2 here though and it's actually a bit of work. Maybe just email the teacher and ask about it? It's can't hurt. And then once you know a bit more and how it runs at your kid's school you can chat about it.

We have other options though, maybe see if your kid's school does them? Well when I say other options they are only run for grades 4-6 and are called "Action teams" and each has a different portfolio. It's actually quiet a lot of work for the kids involved and requires giving up a lunch break every week for a meeting, they help coordinate different "programs" and do a number of tasks set by the teacher who supervises it. My younger kid is on the health and well-being team and they are tasked with coming up with activities that people could do at lunch to help with mind-fullness and anxiety or stress, thinking of ways to help students who might be struggling with friendships (last year they helped fund raise for a buddy bench and each week 2 of the team are assigned to the bench to help students that use it), thinking or days to promote health eating and exercise etc. My older kid is in the Environment team. Similar sort of thing, about working with the school to promote more awareness of the environment, sustainability, recycling, respecting the local wildlife, helping to run information sessions etc.

Lets just say I know of a few kids who have done it one year because it looks like "fun" and refused to do it again... Our school is very much about student leadership and student voice though. They want students to become good role models and deliberately focus on that.

Edited by CrankyM

laridae

Our school has the but doesn't call it that. They meet once a week and they do things like organize fundraising (not for the school, for other causes)

My DD1 got in this year (grade 4). They had to give a speech about why they would be good for the role. Only 2 people actually tried out though in her class so they both got in. Her teacher did tell me that she was impressed with her speech and she did a good job on it though.

She tried out last year too, but it was just a class vote then, and yes, it was the popular kids. The year before that she was too scared to, her confidence has grown a lot since then.

MarciaB

At our kids primary school, there were 2 SRC reps from each class chosen each semester (by vote). So 4 kids per class had the opportunity.

You also couldn't hold a position twice. Once they got to Year 6 they had prefects running the SRC instead of SRC reps.

So it meant that you had a chance each year to have a go as by the time you got to Year 5 a lot of kids had already held the position.

Still a popularity contest but at least they were diligent at not allowing kids who had participated to put their hands up again. Then in Year 6 everyone could nominate themselves for prefect and they had a bunch of other roles (librarians, sports monitors, Chess Club captains, debating captains, environment committee prefects) - it really meant that most kids could get an extra badge if they wanted.

Meepy

In some high schools the SRC is open to anyone who wants to be in it, so that may be something to look forward to.

MerryMadrigalMadge

Ask your school - my DD's school is small enough to try to ensure that everyone gets a go at being SRC by about the end of Grade 3.

It's two reps per year level per term. After grade 3, it's only the kids who actually want it and are willing to make a speech and face a vote.