Sign in to follow this  
Yippee-Ki-Yay

Whats involved in being part of a student society?

Yippee-Ki-Yay

My uni is about to establish a student society for criminology students and are asking for those who want to be actively involved to get in touch.

Im trying to expand my horizons and try new things and thought I might see if I could fit this into my life. I've indicated interest in being a cloud campus rep, general rep or the office bearer overseeing publications. There were about a dozen roles ranging from chair to director of events and career and partnership directorships etc.

In all honestly I have zero idea how much extra work I would be taking on. Has anyone been part of one of these groups in recent times?

I thought the publication role would suit me, but I dont have much of an idea what that would involve beyond what I can guess.

Yippee-Ki-Yay

Anyone?

MissHLH

Have not been involved, but do know some people who are. I think some roles can be quite a bit of work, and others a bit more manageable, but it also depends on the society. The more political societies can be a lot of work, and some of the more 'fun' ones can too. But often the subject societies are a little less intense. If it's new, the people involved will probably set the pace and decide what activities they want to run.

I'd give it a go. If it's too much you can always step back (it happens, it's not that much of a big deal unless you're the president/chair). It would be a great way to meet new people and have some new experiences.

Silverstreak

Beer and flannel shirts, from what DH told me about his early uni days...

On a more serious note, I've had friends who were X officer at various unis. From memory it was quite a lot of work and they were remunerated, not sure if this will be the case with yourself?

• Like 2

I was part of a student one and still is on professional society comitees.

It can be very very variable from doing nothing to being really busy. A lot will depend on the chair's own dynamism and on your own personal motivation, particularly as it is a new society so you will have to create your own standards.

I would contact the person who is trying to set up he society and have an informal chat about what the vision and strategy is about.

The most difficult roles are usually events and partnership as that requires to have a bit of a network. And then treasurer once you reach a certain size

Sugarplum Poobah

It depends on the type of society really. What you're describing sounds more like a departmental academic extension society (for want of a better way to put it) rather than the more political/ social/sporty societies that are student union based. (The beer and flannel shirts stuff) They all tend to have a social aspect though.

I jointly coordinated a postgrad conference via a departmental one a while back. How much work there is related to how much work you're prepared to take on really. What you do need to remember is that it's voluntary and that "no" is a complete sentence. You're in a humanities area which unfortunately can mean the academic w*n*ery quotient aims for the stars on occasion :;):

But it can also be a lot of fun and very enriching. I made some great friends via extra curricular stuff and you've all got a mutual study interest as a starting base for some great conversations.

Yippee-Ki-Yay

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like all I can do is try. This is very outside of my comfort zone.

cfwact

I’m secretary for one at the moment, which is not too much work although we are a small society (about 45 members). We have organised a few casual social drinks, a short presentation by a guest speaker during lunch at uni, a weekend BBQ and we organised an event where students who did study tours overseas did a presentation about their experiences. Then Covid hit, so it’s mainly been trying to put interesting things on the Facebook page. I think the people who have to do the most work In our committee are the events organisers (even more than the president).

If you have a massive society it could be a lot of work, but with a larger committee this could be manageable.

Yippee-Ki-Yay

Hard to say how big the club (I think they called it a student club and I got it wrong) will get. I am taking part in an online meeting tomorrow to discuss my thoughts and relevant experience with the organisers. I am thinking that the director of publications role might be too big for me but maybe I could offer some support as a deputy. I think I would be a good cloud rep though.