jessiesgirl

Head lice medication

jessiesgirl

Which comb are you using?

I have a three row of teeth metal comb but I have real trouble getting it through the kids hair as it gets so knotted no matter how much conditioner I put in and I have practically scalped myself with it. Dds hair is so long and thick. So I use it for a bit then I can’t use it anymore and I have been using the plastic comb that comes with the treatments. I don’t think this is ideal, so I bought a single row of teeth metal comb that I will try today.

Froyo

You definitely need a more effective comb.

Veritas Vinum Arte

I believe you are looking for Invermectin... which in Australia is used by vets for pets. I don’t know if a Doctor would prescribe here.

https://www.nps.org.au/australian-prescriber/articles/treating-head-lice-1

Ivermectin is an antiparasitic agent used extensively in veterinary practice and more recently has been used in human medicine. The mode of action is via chloride ion channels in cell membranes, leading to an influx of negatively charged ions that block cellular action potentials and cause muscle paralysis. Much higher concentrations are required to affect neurological function in mammals than in parasites. Open studies on oral ivermectin, using a single 200 microgram/kg oral dose with or without a second dose at 10 days11,12 suggest that further trials are warranted.

jessiesgirl

I believe you are looking for Invermectin... which in Australia is used by vets for pets. I don’t know if a Doctor would prescribe here.

https://www.nps.org.au/australian-prescriber/articles/treating-head-lice-1

Ivermectin is an antiparasitic agent used extensively in veterinary practice and more recently has been used in human medicine. The mode of action is via chloride ion channels in cell membranes, leading to an influx of negatively charged ions that block cellular action potentials and cause muscle paralysis. Much higher concentrations are required to affect neurological function in mammals than in parasites. Open studies on oral ivermectin, using a single 200 microgram/kg oral dose with or without a second dose at 10 days11,12 suggest that further trials are warranted.

Just so you don’t think I am some sort of loony VVA, I read about an unnamed prescription medication in The Age (Melbourne mainstream newspaper) which quoted a GP talking about it as best treatment option. It sounded as if he was describing a run of the mill treatment. I will try again with a different comb. I am finding the conditioner and comb treatment very arduous, tiring and stressful on top of all the lockdown stress and was looking for other options. Is it easier if I wet the hair first before putting on conditioner?

Moukmouk

I found hair straighteners were very helpful as well. My hairdresser suggested it - as a mother of four girls she had some experience in the problem. It makes the hair easier to comb. I would sit with a headlamp, comb (with the comb suggested above), and pick out every egg I could find. Then tight braids for school with hairspray.

• Like 2

CrankyM

I always wet down the hair first. Then conditioner, then a brush or wide tooth comb to get the knots out. Then a narrower toothed comb and then the nit comb. (This is on my hair, I have boys though one of them has awful hair to delouse. My hair on the other hand is thick, unwieldy waist length that knots within 5 mins of being left to hang out).

• Like 1

Bereckii
Posted (edited)

Just so you don’t think I am some sort of loony VVA, I read about an unnamed prescription medication in The Age (Melbourne mainstream newspaper) which quoted a GP talking about it as best treatment option. It sounded as if he was describing a run of the mill treatment. I will try again with a different comb. I am finding the conditioner and comb treatment very arduous, tiring and stressful on top of all the lockdown stress and was looking for other options. Is it easier if I wet the hair first before putting on conditioner?

Yes, I have found it easier to wet first.

Put some conditioner and water in a spray bottle. Shake.

Sit child on a chair (in front of the tv!), with towel draped around shoulders. Spray in conditioner+water mixture. Lather in additional conditioner. Comb through in sections (spraying in more conditioner+water mixture as needed so you are combing through damp hair)

I hear you on how stressful it is. It is a big and constant job.

Edited by Bereckii
  • Like 1

Veritas Vinum Arte

We do a double- triple treatment - choose different one each week (eg start Nitwits wk1, Full Marks wk2 and Moove wk3). Double if it is school holidays or triple if they got it from school.

Don’t forget reinfection may occur due to source (external to household - eg school) not being treated. I always notify the school/teacher so a note is put out.

We use the following on rotation.

TBH we have only had nits a few times (over 3 kids now 10/12/14). Our last time was after the kids went to holiday care and they had a lovely game where they had to put their heads all together touching.... great way to get nits.

Full Marks

https://www.amcal.com.au/full-marks-head-lice-solution---200ml-p-5038483224441

Nitwits

https://nitwitsforkids.com/headlice-products/nitwits-all-in-one-head-lice-solution-kill-lice-and-eggs-in-one-go-au

Moove

https://www.moov.com.au/au/en/all-products/moov-head-lice-solution.html

Quitnits

https://quitnits.com.au/product/quitnits-head-lice-solution/

Veritas Vinum Arte

Just so you don’t think I am some sort of loony VVA, I read about an unnamed prescription medication in The Age (Melbourne mainstream newspaper) which quoted a GP talking about it as best treatment option. It sounded as if he was describing a run of the mill treatment.

No . I don’t think you are a loon. It is used overseas, just within Australia I have heard very hard to get it from GP.

I don’t do conditioning and comb. I do a weekly treatment as above and comb out any left. I do like Full Marks and Nitwits.

jessiesgirl

No . I don’t think you are a loon. It is used overseas, just within Australia I have heard very hard to get it from GP.

I don’t do conditioning and comb. I do a weekly treatment as above and comb out any left. I do like Full Marks and Nitwits.

Have not heard of full marks but have tried the others. They have worked til now. In desperation I have turned to conditioner and comb!

Moukmouk your eyesight is clearly better than mine as I can’t see the eggs and your children more patient! Doing my own is hard work too.

• Like 1

Liahonna

I have a daughter with extremely thick long hair, trying to get any comb through it was torture, tried everything, tried the license stuff will Neem oil, first time we made progress. So I bought pure Neem oil diluted it with conditioner and soaked her hair, the eggs dissolved, no combing, her hair was luscious and we haven't had lice since.

*bucket*

(At least some) GPs in Australia will prescribe something. My DD had a script when she was about 13 (I cannot remember what it was). It was great. Killed everything, but we still had to comb out the remains (eggs were still stuck).

Redhead43

Doctors will prescribe Ivermectin in Aus, but, in my work RN aged care), it is not used very often as it can affect renal function.

Not Escapin Xmas

Doctors will prescribe Ivermectin in Aus, but, in my work RN aged care), it is not used very often as it can affect renal function.

I wonder if that's why so many cats seem to end up with kidney problems?

Meagan

I’ve had great success with alternating 2 different chemical treatments. Normally KP24 rapid is one. Every 4 days.

Latest win for my teenager. Hair dye! One application, they haven’t come back since.

Apageintime

I wonder if that's why so many cats seem to end up with kidney problems?

This is an interesting thought!