jessiesgirl

Head lice medication

jessiesgirl

I read a reference in the paper a week or so ago to a comment on head lice from a GP. He said the best way to deal with head lice was conditioner and comb through and a prescription medication. Does anyone know anything about this before I go to our doctor? Head lice driving me crazy here - eight weeks of no school and I still can’t get rid of them.

IamtheMumma

That is how I do it. Cheap conditioner (as in the $2 kind) and comb through. It needs to be thin conditioner. Thick stuff is expensive and not as effective. You could water down a part filled bottle to make it thin.

I part the hair into segments and draw conditioner lines to prevent escaping to the clean areas. Smother the hair in conditioner, work each segment thoroughly. Have several towels on hand to wipe the comb.

Once I've done that, I use Ban Lice. Follow the directions on the bottle.

I repeat the conditioner treatment at days 3 and 7. I rarely need to do another application of Ban Lice.

Use Ban Lice on every hair brush in the house.

I also use this spray - https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/79655/wild-child-quit-nits-detangling-defence-spray-150ml

as a defence. I spray the kids hair every day before school or childcare regardless of season. I don't know if it helps but anecdotally, when the kids objected to using it as teens, they picked up head lice.

Froyo

The cycle will never stop unless the eggs are removed. Combing is the best treatment.

• Like 1

~Jolly_F~
Posted (edited)

https://www.moov.com.au/all-products/moov-head-lice-solution.html

We have only had them once (touch wood) and I used the above product. I went to the chemist and said give me the most potent stuff you have and this is what she recommended...

It was easy and no messing about with conditioner or combing with those horrible combs and they were gone. We did the follow up treatment 7 days later and haven’t had an issue since!

Edited by ~Jolly_F~
  • Like 2

foofoo

You don't need to go to a doctor. Pharmacists will be able to recommend a product.

After months of unsuccessfully using the conditioner and comb on DDs really long and thick hair I used moov also. Used it on two occasions and both times it worked with no problems.

Luci

https://www.moov.com...e-solution.html

We have only had them once (touch wood) and I used the above product. I went to the chemist and said give me the most potent stuff you have and this is what she recommended...

It was easy and no messing about with conditioner or combing with those horrible combs and they were gone. We did the follow up treatment 7 days later and haven’t had an issue since!

I have 3 children and we have had plenty of lice over the years. I have always used the product above (Moov) and found it to be very good.

22Fruitmincepies

I’ve only had complete success with conditioner and combing, but you do need the right comb. As you comb the hair you wipe the conditioner off and you can actually see the eggs and lice

chillipeppers

If you don’t want to use conditioner you can also use oil. Vegetable oil is fine.

Cerridwen

If you have a child with long and/or very thick hair, you can comb with conditioner until the cows come home but you will never remove every egg.

The best way to remove the eggs is by spraying with a water and vinegar mix or you can use straight vinegar if you want to. Saturate the hair with it and then comb. It will dissolve the glue that makes the eggs cling to the hair. The eggs will just come away easily with little effort.

Oh and with the Moov, make sure you use the stronger one with 11% eucalyptus oil. The sensitive formulation doesn't work anywhere near as well.

• Like 1

WaitForMe

I have a vague recollection when I was a kid of a friend that used a prescription one as her mum just couldn't get rid of them.

They were driving me nuts all last year. We'd get rid of them each school holidays and then they'd return a month or so into the term, only to get rid of them by next holidays. This year we've had no cases, partly thanks to covid but I suspect also because her class this year doesn't have a couple of her close friends in it. I don't specifically blame them, I'm sure DD1 was the culprit too, but I think theres just more opportunities when together all day long inside.

Lifesgood

They are resistant to all chemical treatments so yes, the only way to eradicate them is condition and comb several times during the reproduction cycle (10 days I think?). There is no quick fix for head lice.

• Like 2

gruidae
Posted (edited)

Edited by gruidae
going into hiding
  • Like 3

Not Escapin Xmas

Another tip that some people miss is treating the kids but not the adults. If one in the household has them, everyone has to be treated- even you, even if you think you don't have them - you have them.

I’m not sure that’s true. DD has had them numerous times and DH and I have always escaped. Nits seem to really like kids...

On the treatment though, we use Moov. DD has waist length light brown hair so it’s super hard to see the little critters. I do use a LOT of the treatment shampoo. And you have to do 6-7 days later to get the new ones that have hatched.

literally nobody

Another tip that some people miss is treating the kids but not the adults. If one in the household has them, everyone has to be treated- even you, even if you think you don't have them - you have them.

Nope, never had them either when Dd had them, nor did Dh, Ds1 or Ds2. We got checked at a lice removing hairdresser.

Lice breaker comb op, you buy them at Terry White and they are metal with the rounded top. use the conditioner and section hair, then after that, treatment. I continue to do the conditioner and comb regardless for 10 days and they are gone.

WaitForMe

Yeah, the first time DD1 got them I got them too. I think it was partly because it took forever for me to realise she had nits. She has sensitive skin and some sunscreen brands irritates the back of her neck (not everyone she is with is careful with brands). So it wasn't until I got an itchy head that I realised what was going on.

I haven't had them since that first time (I always do a quick check on my head in the shower with the comb when she gets them). But I suspect it can take a while for them to spread, so if you nip them in the bud on your child you probably wont get them. For instance, her younger sister has never caught them off her.

Mrs Zee

I think the OP is asking if there's a prescription medicine? I presume she knows of over the counter stuff?

• Like 1

Charli73

Don’t know if anything prescription wise..

We stopped the expensive chemical treatments and went to the $2 conditioner and combing after the kids got it in childcare and then again in grade 1.

I got it too and found the weekly combing was all that got rid of it.

little lion

I think it is ivermectin but chat to your GP about it.

• Like 1

jessiesgirl

Thanks. I am aware of OTC treatments I have tried them all (well at least 4 or 5 different products) repeated in 7, 14 days combed even when the packet says you don’t need to and I still find they have been recurring with this batch. I have treated myself as well. Previously with DD I have gotten on top of them, but with my son this year I am really struggling, with infection spreading to DD and to me. I have bought a new comb and will try with it and talk to the GP, thanks little lion.

Nope, never had them either when Dd had them, nor did Dh, Ds1 or Ds2. We got checked at a lice removing hairdresser.

Are you in Melbourne, does the place have a name?

FuzzyChocolateToes

I think it is ivermectin but chat to your GP about it.

Yep, that's what I was going to say. Ivermectin tablets are PBS approved for scabies. It does work for lice but I have no idea whether a GP will prescribe it. I guess if you can demonstrate that you have repeatedly tried OTC as directed, then perhaps?

• Like 1

Sancti-claws

If you don’t want to use conditioner you can also use oil. Vegetable oil is fine.

I found coconut oil very effective - have not tried vegetable

Froyo

Which comb are you using?

liveworkplay

3 long haired girls, multiple years of head lice. Comb and conditioner daily and then weekly once you think the infestation is under control. Otherwise you will spend a fortune of products that may kill the lice present at time of application, but that's all.

If it is a really, really bad infestation, use one of the oily treatments that you keep on overnight (works really well and conditions the hair to boot!) but then daily and weekly conditioner treatment.

• Like 1

CrankyM

You need to use a lice breaker comb. Also the recommendation for vinegar on thick long hair is accurate. Mum used to use a combo of white vinegar and eucalyptus oil. That combined with the lice breaker comb is the best we’ve found for removing eggs. Also the whole 10-14 day redo. You need to do it much more often. My kids get lice I treat with the 11% moov then comb comb comb with vinegar and eucalyptus oil. Comb with that every single day for 3 damned weeks. I also do a conditioner treated every other day and use the moov every 3-4 days. It is literally the only way I’ve gotten rid of them. It’s intensive and giant pain but it’s the only way.

Unfortunately one of my kids has fine fairy floss hair and doing his hair is a nightmare. It is too fine for the nit combs. Hence why the vinegar is vital. Then I basically use my nails as well as the comb to get the eggs.