coastlife

+FOBT Any experiences

coastlife

Firstly, not sure where I should post this as it's not a + Cancer question - hoping it's ok to post here.

I suffer from anxiety (GAD) so anything odd that my body does I usually jump to the conclusion I have some type of terminal illness which freaks me out and I wonder who will look after DD. But then because of my anxiety I don't go and get it checked out.

So for the past nearly 2 years I have had bowel issues and I kept putting off doing something about it as I was worried I might have bowel cancer. Finally 2 weeks ago I am in a reasonable head space and I go to the Dr who gets me to do FOBT and blood tests - back to the Dr today and my 3 stool samples are positive and I've been referred for a colonoscopy.

You can only imagine how my mind is spiralling! God knows what I will be like for the next weeks whilst waiting for my appointment!

Does anyone have any experience of +FOBT? What was the outcome from a colonoscopy - did they confirm cancer? Polyps? IBS? Haemorrhoids?

born.a.girl

Mine was Ulcerative Colitis, so IBD (D=Disease).

Silverstreak

I don't think DH had a blood test, but he had a colonoscopy a few months back due to an upset tummy, they found a polyp that was removed during the procedure. Good luck and all the best with your upcoming appointment xo

BusbyWilkes

Mine was Ulcerative Colitis, so IBD (D=Disease).

This was my child’s diagnosis also. IBD is the umbrella term to refer to Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s disease (autoimmune diseases). Friends have been due to polyps (assessed as precancerous once removed).

While it can be a symptom of bowel cancer, of the 2 people I know who have bowel cancer, neither had blood in faeces. So it doesn’t have to mean that.

Caitlin Happymeal

It's hard not to worry, I'm currently awaiting (im)patiently for the results of a punch biopsy (breast, not bowel). I also suffer from anxiety. On top of all that, my job is in the cancer care sphere so every little niggle in my body MUST BE CANCER!

I've had bleeding from the back passage, and now have regular colonsocopies and endoscopies, but thus far, they have just found polyps. Nothing overly sinister. There's many reasons for a +FOBT, like pps have mentioned, many IBD type disorders can cause it. That's not to say those things are much fun, but definitely try not to focus on the "it must be cancer" mindset. Easier said than done, I'm trying really hard to practice what I preach!

At the end of the day, best to know what you've got going on, and the earlier the better. If it's something nasty, there's heaps that can be done if caught early, and really good prognosis Generally. If it's something in the IBD arena, there's things that can be done to help that too. Knowledge is power when it comes to your body.

Also, I'm really weird, but I really enjoy my procedures - not the bowel prep aspect, honestly, that sucks and you should definitely make sure you have some sudocream or bepanthen or something for the "ring of fire", but I absolutely love the sedation and the coming to bit. Such a lovely sleep that you don't even know your having. And the fact that you can eat all the jelly you like the day before. But like I said, I'm weird haha.

Good luck, OP. I get the head in sand thing that often comes with anxiety. Try not to spiral, and take it one day at a time. Maybe listening to some guided mindfulness activities might be helpful.

little lion

Waiting is the worst. I hope it won’t be a long wait until your appointment. Don’t beat yourself up on not testing sooner. You’ve got things sorted now so you will hopefully know soon. In many private centers you’ll get a partial result on the day with full results from GP a few business days later.

Haemorrhoids are another reason there can be a positive result. Polyps too, and not all polyps are sinister. As PPs mentioned, IBD is another possibility.

born.a.girl

I had an appointment with the gastroenterologist before the colonoscopy. I surprised to hear of going straight to colonoscopy when they can have a look in the rooms and often have an idea then. I knew I had UC before the colonoscopy - that was just to check how extensive it was.

*Andi*

I had a painful bleeding episode last year. My GP felt around my abdomen and I had a tender colon, so he thought diverticular disease. I had the sample test and 1/3 came back positive for blood. He gave me two strong antibiotics to see if that cleared it. I then fell pregnant so didn't have a colonoscopy. My next test was clear though.

coastlife

Thanks for the replies, I am trying really hard to be positive and not let it consume me. Just waiting for the appointment date, hopefully it's soon!

born.a.girl

Thanks for the replies, I am trying really hard to be positive and not let it consume me. Just waiting for the appointment date, hopefully it's soon!

Are you definitely not seeing the gastroenterologist before the colonoscopy?

I knew what mine was well beforehand.

coastlife

Apparently the results mean straight for colonoscopy.

coastlife

The medical centre called and I now have a call this afternoon with my GP as my iron results are in and of course I google anemia and bowel cancer!! Oh geez how am I going to cope until my colonoscopy and results :(