Sign in to follow this  
Franny and Zooey

Robo debt repayment by government?

born.a.girl

yes I did. I read every damn line of it !

O.k. that's great! It means they've identified you as one of the people that would be included in the class action, and therefore you should automatically receive the payment back - from what I've read so far.

• Like 1

bearosauraus

I also received the letter regarding the robodebt.

I remember being very perplexed at the time about how I could have a debt as I always reported my income accurately and on time. I guess I am one of those trusting people that thought it must be legit so just set up a payment plan to pay it back.

I am hoping this means I will get it refunded if it wasn't legit. If it was, then that is fine. But I just couldn't understand how it happened in the first place, so guess it makes sense it is robodebt.

It was around $1500 for me.

Runnercoz

But seriously

The ATO data can be used as can any government data but it needs to be checked properly by a human and not by using algorithms that use averaging

• Like 5

But seriously

There will also alwasy be people who game the system but nothing like what robotdebt was presuming there was - and the system of prove we are wrong which is what robodebt asked of people is just.... wrong.

• Like 1

Runnercoz
Posted (edited)

The ATO data can be used as can any government data but it needs to be checked properly by a human and not by using algorithms that use averaging

Edit - hit reply too soon!

Yes I know this but he doesn’t. And he doesn’t care enough to actually find that out. And yet will still tell everyone that the ATO data can’t be used, and whatever other false ideas and rhetoric he has in his head. For him $$ is everything and everyone but Liberal mismanages the economy (according to him).

Edited by Runnercoz
  • Like 1

born.a.girl

I also received the letter regarding the robodebt.

I remember being very perplexed at the time about how I could have a debt as I always reported my income accurately and on time. I guess I am one of those trusting people that thought it must be legit so just set up a payment plan to pay it back.

I am hoping this means I will get it refunded if it wasn't legit. If it was, then that is fine. But I just couldn't understand how it happened in the first place, so guess it makes sense it is robodebt.

It was around $1500 for me.

You wouldn't have been alone - most people would have believed the same. My daughter would have paid it back if she had any money, or any income.

For some people, the amounts were much, much greater, and they simply couldn't even pay back money on a payment plan without ending up further in poverty, so they had no choice but to challenge the notice.

Yes, if you've got the letter, it's been identified as a debt that was calculated using annual income to check qualification for a ?fortnightly entitlement.

gravity1

I received the letter as well. Would be nice to get the 3000 back!

Franny and Zooey

I received the letter as well. Would be nice to get the 3000 back!

Yes me too. It seemed like a lot to owe at the time and made me really stressed. But what could you do?

• Like 1

steppy

Dear Government,

Thanks so much for demoralising, humiliating and increasing financial strain on people who are mostly ill-equipped to repay the various smallish debts they accumulated in their years of obtaining legal financial assistance. As a taxpayer, I am so happy that you went out of your way to claw back overpayments in such a manner and that it was so successful you've ended up costing taxpayers more than if you'd done nothing at all.

Wonderful use of government expertise and resources. Those nasty leaners, costing us so much money!!!

Yours (in)sincerely,

Taxpayer

• Like 4

Dustyblue

DH and I were extremely lucky not to get caught up in this, due to all the mismatching of data people mention. I remember being genuinely scared when the whole evil scheme was first announced.

The stories of people affected I've heard since are heartbreaking, and bloody infuriating. The torment they've put people through for no good reason is despicable.

I'm so sorry for those of you innocently caught up in this nonsense and so hope you get every cent back from the bastards. Hmmph!

born.a.girl

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jun/02/calls-for-royal-commission-into-robodebt-and-apology-from-morrison-government

Greens are pushing for a royal commission, and an apology. Really, could they not bring themselves to at least apologise?

They insist the method was used under Labor. No, not without oversight it wasnt, and not completely across the board to anyone who's averaged income mean some fortnightly payments 'looked' too high.

All my daughter would have had to do is show bank statements with no crossover between Centrelink payments and employment payments and that would have been the end of it.

• Like 1

Franny and Zooey

So now that the big apology has been delivered I wonder when some of this money might be refunded? July has been mentioned but that seems pretty soon.

I am certainly not relying on it, but would be nice, my house needs some serious repairs.

gruidae
Posted (edited)

Edited by gruidae
going into hiding
  • Like 1

born.a.girl

So now that the big apology has been delivered I wonder when some of this money might be refunded? July has been mentioned but that seems pretty soon.

I am certainly not relying on it, but would be nice, my house needs some serious repairs.

They're saying July - November, but that ones that are not straightforward might take longer.

born.a.girl

So they're going to make it legal that they can use income averaging while clients still have fortnightly reporting. We all need to let them know the message that sends is that unless a job offer is full time permanent, if you're on Centrelink don't take up casual or short term work or you will definitely end up with debt. No actual "dole bludgers" end up with these debts, it's punishment for trying.

Yeah, they're certainly not backing away from the idea, are they?

They did change the way they operate at some point. When my daughter did her 2018 tax return - quite late probably closer to June last year, they sent her a letter asking for her payslips for the year. Employer didn't give them, but she got the ledger details, and forwarded that, and that was the end of it. I should imagine that sort of 'checking' has been going on since the start of social security.

That's fine, and it's presumably what the Libs are talking about, when they say Labor used the same system. It makes my blood boil to hear them say it's the same thing.

With the Libs, though, with zero crossover between youth allowance and her Christmas employment (she cancelled the YA a week earlier even than she needed to), this the exact statement next to the debt on the site:

The correct amount of your earnings was not taken into account in the payments made to you from 18 Jul 2013 to 15 Apr 2015. This means you have been overpaid. We are, therefore, required to recover this amount.

It's the contrast between 'we need to check you were paid correctly' and 'you've cheated'.

• Like 1

born.a.girl

Anyone received their stolen money back, yet?

~*~blizzy~*~
34 minutes ago, born.a.girl said:

Anyone received their stolen money back, yet?

No money yet, but I did get a letter to say the funds will be paid in 2-4 weeks 🎉

how about your daughter?

• Like 1

born.a.girl
1 minute ago, ~*~blizzy~*~ said:

No money yet, but I did get a letter to say the funds will be paid in 2-4 weeks 🎉

how about your daughter?

No, no change in her debt status.  It's 'only' the 2018 tax return that's been taken (under $500) but it's her $500, and I've suggested she not hit submit on her 2019 return until the debt's gone.

I'm half wishing now I'd encouraged her to go the stat dec route for the second year (as advised by Centrelink staff).

Glad you've got a letter, that's at least some progress. :)

~*~blizzy~*~
52 minutes ago, born.a.girl said:

No, no change in her debt status.  It's 'only' the 2018 tax return that's been taken (under $500) but it's her $500, and I've suggested she not hit submit on her 2019 return until the debt's gone.

I'm half wishing now I'd encouraged her to go the stat dec route for the second year (as advised by Centrelink staff).

Glad you've got a letter, that's at least some progress. :)

There is a Facebook group that has tonnes of info in it. 

tbh I wasn’t expecting a letter and certainly not counting my chickens before they hatch. 

apprently those receiving Current payments are getting letters until the 27th, and those not on payments after. I’m not currently receiving any payments but perhaps may still be registered for CCB. 

• Thanks 1

born.a.girl
9 minutes ago, ~*~blizzy~*~ said:

tbh I wasn’t expecting a letter and certainly not counting my chickens before they hatch. 

apprently those receiving Current payments are getting letters until the 27th, and those not on payments after. I’m not currently receiving any payments but perhaps may still be registered for CCB. 

Thanks, I'll tell her to have a look on Facebook to see if tax returns are being taken still.  You'd think not, but I don't trust their systems enough!

She's getting Jobseeker at the moment.

Franny and Zooey

Yeah I have been checking frequently, I have heard nothing yet either.  

• Thanks 1

born.a.girl
On 20/07/2020 at 2:19 PM, ~*~blizzy~*~ said:

Thanks for the Facebook tip. Apparently people are still having money taken even though their debt's theoretically on hold until 2025 - they've been advised to call and demand that stops, but that was enough for me to advise her to not hit send on the 2019 tax return just yet.

My daughter received her letter saying the refund will be made in 2- 4 weeks, so hopefully the debt is removed at that point and the tax returns can be done.

Good luck to everyone else who had their money stolen.

Bandwagon

Not the same kind of debt, mine is for FTB, but I called up CL last month (or maybe May) to find out why the system wouldn’t let me set up a payment plan, and they told me that all debts were frozen until October (2nd, I think they said). 

Why are they still taking dodgy loan payments during a pandemic when they wouldn’t let me set up payments for a legitimate debt?

born.a.girl
3 minutes ago, Bandwagon said:

Not the same kind of debt, mine is for FTB, but I called up CL last month (or maybe May) to find out why the system wouldn’t let me set up a payment plan, and they told me that all debts were frozen until October (2nd, I think they said). 

Why are they still taking dodgy loan payments during a pandemic when they wouldn’t let me set up payments for a legitimate debt?

Some have apparently slipped through the net - when people call they are stopped.

I'm still not confident enough to advise my daughter to hit send on the 2019 tax return though. Easier to wait another few weeks.

• Like 1