SeaPrincess

Spin Off - What recipes are your specialties?

SeaPrincess

Spin off from the popular foods you’ve never cooked - what foods are your specialties? What do your friends ask for the recipe or ask you to bring?

Mine are:

Chocolate brownies. I made some for BIL to take somewhere once and months later when I met one of his friends, they asked if I was his SIL who made the brownies,

Baked raspberry and white chocolate cheesecake.

I have a friend who is coeliac, and these are both easy to adapt to be gluten free.

can'tstayaway
  • Like 1

cstar

My brownies and my cookies mostly

I also make a cinnamon cake that people always want the recipe for once they've eaten a piece.

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef

Cakes, desserts, filo pastries, calzones and pasties, pies.

Also do a few pretty good slow cooker dishes. Doing a mince with okra and green beans tomorrow yum.

nom_de_plume

I'm a good baker. I had a casual job in a bakery when I was younger which probably helped. Bread, pizza bases and cake decorating I am quite adept at.

I'm also becoming a dab hand at fermentation as DP is really into it. We make our own sourdough, sauerkraut, kimchi and beer.

My most requested dishes/recipes by family and friends are things like a classic roast, zuchinni slice, shakshuka, potato salad, tabbouleh, minestrone or lentil soup.

• Like 2

JoanJett

Making something out of nothing.

Meaning, opening the fridge and being able to make a decent meal out of the dregs. It makes a big difference to reducing our food waste and our grocery bill.

But otherwise, plenty of menus for entertaining and family favourites. Decadent desserts are a specialty, which is ironic, because I'd rather a good cheese platter for dessert.

• Like 4

halcyondays

I am asked to make pakoras for almost every drinks “bring a plate” event. They go down fast, especially when people are hungry, drinking and most people seem to bring sweets or cheese,

I do a good vegetable pilaf and Raita and am often asked to bring it to bbq- mainly to ensure the vegetarians get a feed, I guess.

My kids love lamb kofta (Nagi recipe), but I think it’s actually the sides that they really want- carrot salad, smashed cucumber, parsley salad (ottolengi recipes) hummus and garlic dip, flatbreads

• Like 6

ali-song

Baking, probably - cakes/cupcakes/slices etc

I also make a mean mac‘n’cheese, and Mexican food (fajitas, quesadillas, enchiladas)

• Like 2

~Jolly_F~

Cob loaf or volcano bread as it’s known as here.

And Mac and cheese, its so good.

When we are invited anywhere those are what people request from me. Obviously we don’t go to these fancy a*se dinner parties I read about on EB :rofl:

• Like 5

Mrs Claus

Honey joys...and that’s it. My kids prefer dad to cook over me every time

• Like 1

a letter to Elise.

I make really good cakes. They are also allergy friendly, so I always get requests to bring one, as I can cater for pretty much anything. My most requested is lemon and blueberry cake, but I also make a great orange cake, and a really nice honey cake.

I’m also really good at salads and vegetable dishes. My in-laws always request those if we are bringing a dish to their place.

• Like 1

Silverstreak

Chicken pesto pasta, lasagne and roast potatoes.

• Like 2

seayork2002

I can make a white sauce mostly successfully and cook a roast in the oven if all i have to is put it on tray and put it in

i can also make crackling

• Like 1

Let-it-go

Roast potatoes are my most famed dish. They unfailingly crunch perfectly!

• Like 2

MadMarchMasterchef

I am asked to make pakoras for almost every drinks “bring a plate” event. They go down fast, especially when people are hungry, drinking and most people seem to bring sweets or cheese,

Would you be willing to share your recipe?

• Like 1

joeyinthesky

I’m a good baker. Pre-children I loved spending a weekend day trying out a new and complex dessert or cake. Now it’s mostly yummy comfort type dessert & quick cakea/biscuits/slices without the complexity or time requirement.

I make a mean beef roast, gravy & yorkshire puds.

And chicken sandwiches.

• Like 2

Dianalynch

My specialty is ordering. I’m ashamed to say.

• Like 5

Ellie bean

My specialty is ordering. I’m ashamed to say.

Same but I’m not ashamed at all :)

• Like 2

EmmaFY

Being woken up by a wiggly baby and deciding to check this thread was an interesting choice for me to make. Here I am at 3am drooling over every single thing in here. Thanks ;)

My specialty is my roast potatoes. They are thrice cooked duck fat potatoes, to be precise. We have a big extended Christmas lunch with around 40 adults and I don't think I'd be allowed to attend if I didn't take my potatoes. Fair call though, they are amazing.

My lasanga, potato salad and our wood fire pizzas have always received compliments when entertaining.

• Like 1

Redchick2

People love my chewy chocolate chip cookies (which are super easy to make) and my sourdough bread.

• Like 2

Lunafreya
Posted (edited)

I’m not sure I have a speciality as I can be rather adventurous but I also like an easy recipe. I am known in my medieval group for bringing riceballs to gatherings. Some are even vegetarian.

I love doing soups and stews from scratch. I save lots of money by making a big one and eating that for the week.

Edited by Lunafreya
  • Like 1

Dirty Cat

Anyone willing to share recipes. I love to try new things.

I'd love to learn how to nail a roast potato. A good roast potato is pretty delicious but a ok one is just a hunger stopper

• Like 1

can'tstayaway

My specialty is my roast potatoes. They are thrice cooked duck fat potatoes, to be precise.

Ooh, that’s interesting. I do a twice cooked roast potato but always interested in ways to improve it.

How do you make it?

• Like 1

Jennifaraway

My specialty tends towards baking. Sponge cakes (or any cake, including gluten and/or dairy free) and pavlova are generally my responsibility in the family. I'm pretty good at making up random cakes too these days (I've been baking for nearly 35 years now - since I was around 7 or 8). I'm pretty good at taking a cake/biscuit/etc recipe and fiddling with it to my liking. I also watch way too many cooking shows :8 My weakness is screwing up cooking time - but ADHD medication helps a lot there! (and a beeping timer)

I'd love that cinnamon cake recipe, PP, if you want to share it.

DH is pretty good at roast potatoes - they're not super crispy or anything but always delicious. He gets to do them for dinners with my family now, hah. And salads - he's really good at them!

• Like 1