Silvers

Question for those who use period underwear

Silvers

My DD11 has just started her period and I have ordered some Thinx and Modibody underwear for her. Would they last a whole school day or should she wear a pad with them and then take the pad out during the day and wear the undies by themselves?

Also can the undies be worn overnight ie. one pair during the day and one for overnight? I’m just trying to work out how many pairs I need.

Veritas Vinum Arte

I am peri menopausal and currently have flooding.

I have the Thinx Extra ones (4 tampons worth) which I use on my first 2 days of cycle, I change at bedtime to another standard pair and back into Extra one for next day, then move to the standard 2 tampons worth for everyday thereafter. Other thing I did (prior to the Extra being available) was wear a pair of the boyshorts over the standard briefs.

My cycles are irregular, so I wear Thinx 100% of the time. Worked very well when I suddenly hit a 17d cycle at work while wearing a white dress. No problems :).

• Like 3

.Jerry.

My DD11 has just started her period and I have ordered some Thinx and Modibody underwear for her. Would they last a whole school day or should she wear a pad with them and then take the pad out during the day and wear the undies by themselves?

Also can the undies be worn overnight ie. one pair during the day and one for overnight? I’m just trying to work out how many pairs I need.

DD’s periods were very heavy so she did exactly this for school. Worked well. Pad in Thinx. Then remove pad halfway through day.

Kallie88

I think it depends on which one, i wear thinx boy shorts with heavy-moderate absorbency overnight and modibodi high waisted heavy absorbency during the day and have not had many issues with leaking. I think once i could see that a little had leaked on my black pants during the day, but i think it's more how they sit on me which is why I'd love to find boy short ones for day use (no high rise for my big apron belly). A lighter absorbency might not last as well depending on how heavy her period is.

RichardParker

They’re more of a back-up, IMO, than a substitute for sanitary products. Or at the start or very end of a period. I wouldn’t rely on one all day.

catasaurus

I wear modibodi heavy without having a pad as a backup. Mine are usually quite heavy with flooding, and I have one during the day and then change to another overnight.

I was at the point where I was buying Japanese pads which are extra long to cover the back of my undies (longer than overnight pads), and it was feeling like I was wearing a nappy. Changing to Modibodi has really eased all my stress of flooding and staining my clothes.

Veritas Vinum Arte
Posted (edited)

They’re more of a back-up, IMO, than a substitute for sanitary products. Or at the start or very end of a period. I wouldn’t rely on one all day.

I have been using mine for everyday for 3 years. I had to go to double shorts+brief when I started flooding when I only had 2x tampons worth, but since Thinx brought out their Extra 4x no problems. I do change underwear morning and afternoon/night when on first 2 days of my period.

ETA I have not used anything else during that time.... no pads, no liners, no tampons. Thinx only. I needed to know how they worked so I could be 100% comfortable in giving them to DD for when the time comes. She is now grade 5 and wears Thinx everyday to school so she will never be caught out.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte
  • Like 1

IamOzgirl

I wear mine and change twice a day. Ie no more than a pad or tampon. Not backup

YodaTheWrinkledOne

DD1 takes a spare pair to school and changes her period undies in the middle of the day (she pops the used pair in a zip-lock bag and brings it home). But that's just on her 1st or 2nd day (heaviest day). Otherwise she seems to manage okay until she gets home from school.

She used to use pads with the period undies, but she's figuring out how to manage without them. She doesn't want to have to use period pants and pads.

rosie28

I wear one pair during the day and one at night. My flow is predictable but hers might not be, so I think your idea of a pad to be removed half way through the day is a good one. She may find it isn’t necessary but for the first few that’s a good plan. They’ve completely replaced sanitary products for me (except the first week after birth, but that’s hardly relevant to your DD!).

literally nobody
Posted (edited)

where could i buy some Thinx or modibodi?

Edited by literally nobody

.Jerry.

I bought DD's Thinx online from USA. They were not (at that stage) available in store anywhere here.

Her Thinx have lasted years. She most certainly could wear them as main product. Only needed pads first days as her periods were super heavy.

Kallie88

And modibodi have an online store

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

Thinx, Modibodi and Bonds are only available online. Luna are available in Woolworths, but limited styles and sizes, only up to a size 14/16 ( online they go larger).

IamOzgirl

Be careful Luna and bonds are not ad versed is a replacement. They are conduction with sanitary products.

think and Modibodi are supposed to be replacements.

Kiwi Bicycle

Be careful Luna and bonds are not ad versed is a replacement. They are conduction with sanitary products.

think and Modibodi are supposed to be replacements.

Nope, Bonds Bloody Comfy Undies are replacements and they do light, moderate and heavy. They are newish but Bonds are going up against the other two brands.

https://www.bonds.com.au/womens/bloody-comfy-undies.html#index=1892.952392578125&page=1

Veritas Vinum Arte

Thinx are also available at selected David Jones stores and some Pharmacies.

AUSTRALIA

ADELAIDE

David Jones Adelaide Central Plaza

100 Rundle Mall

Adelaide SA 5000

Australia

BELLINGEN

Kombu Wholefoods

1 Church St

Bellingen NSW 2454

Australia

BONDI JUNCTION

David Jones Westfield Bondi Junction

500 Oxford St

Bondi Junction NSW 2022

Australia

BRISBANE CITY

David Jones Queensplaza

210 Queen St

Brisbane City QLD 4000

Australia

BROOKVALE

David Jones Westfiled Warringah Mall

Old Pittwater Rd

Brookvale NSW 2100

Australia

BURWOOD

David Jones Westfield Burwood

100 Burwood Rd

Burwood NSW 2134

Australia

BYRON BAY

Santos Organics

3/7 Brigantine Street

Byron Bay NSW 2481

Australia

CANBERRA

David Jones Canberra Centre

260-262 Alinga St

Canberra ACT 2600

Australia

CASTLE HILL

David Jones Castle Towers

6-14 Castle St

Castle Hill NSW 2154

Australia

CHADSTONE

David Jones Chadstone

Chadstone Shopping Centre

Chadstone, VIC 3148

Australia

CHATSWOOD CHASE

David Jones Chatswood Chase

Chatswood Chase, 91 Archer St

Chatswood NSW 2067

Australia

CLAREMONT

David Jones Claremont Quarter

9 Bay View Terrace

Claremont WA 6010

Australia

DONCASTER

David Jones Westfield Doncaster

Doncaster Rd

Doncaster VIC 3108

Australia

KOTARA

David Jones Westfield Kotara

Northcott Dr &, Park Ave

Kotara NSW 2289

Australia

MALVERN

David Jones Malvern Central

110-122 Wattletree Rd

Malvern VIC 3144

Australia

MELBOURNE

David Jones Bourke Street Mall

310 Bourke Street

Melbourne 3000

Australia

MIRANDA

David Jones Westfield Miranda

600 Kingsway

Miranda NSW 2228

Australia

MULLUMBIMBY

Santos Organics - Mullumbimby

51-53 Burringbar Street

Mullumbimby NSW 2482

Australia

OAKLANDS PARK

David Jones Westfield Marion

297 Diagonal Rd

Oaklands Park SA 5046

Australia

PERTH

Favourite Daughter

908 Beaufort Street Inglewood

Perth WA 6052

Australia

Vim & Co Pharmacy

shop 1/154-156 Newcastle St

Perth, WA 6000,

Australia

PHILLIP

David Jones Westfield Woden

Bradley St

Phillip ACT 2606

Australia

SYDNEY

David Jones Elizabeth St

86-108 Castlereagh Street

Sydney NSW 2000

Australia

Thinx Popup at Westfield Sydney

Open from 11/4 to 11/10

Cnr Pitt St Mall &, Market St

Sydney NSW 2000

Australia

WOLLONGONG

David Jones Wollongong Central

200 Crown St

Wollongong NSW 2500

Australia

WYNYARD TASMANIA

Dixon's Pharmacy

112 Goldie Street

Wynyard Tasmania 7325

Australia

https://www.shethinx.com/pages/thinx-retail-store-locator

• Like 2

*Ker*

DD has Modibodi and wears them with a pad. She's not confident enough to wear just the undies. It means she has no issues with leakage though. I bought them primarily for that reason.

• Like 1

Mumsyto2

Maybe times have changed but mine use Rubylove (from USA). Used to be called something else then had a name change. At the time neither Modibodi or Thinx has really small sizing, and mine were really slight and slim. Rubylove also had really small sizes in period swimwear which was a huge hit as this was the one aspect they really had trouble with, not swimming with friends in summer or in swimming lessons at school. Tampons are off the table with them, absolutely refuse.

Several years on, they still get the Rubylove swimwear and undies as they have not had issues with them and don’t want to try something else at this point. For period undies they use a pad and remove it halfway through day, just preference and obviously with the swimwear you just wear it although when it was worn for school swimming they would also use pad with it and remove before getting in pool.

3rd time lucky

My DD wears the modi bodi ones, with a pad until lunch, and then just the undies for the afternoon.

That way she doesn’t have to carry a spare pad around at school.

But vic public schools now have sanitary products in girls bathroom.

Brilliant initiative IMO.

My DD got her first period at 11. I feel the period underwear adds a great option in dealing with it at a young age.

annodam
Posted (edited)

I've got the Thinx, bought them at the pop up store when they were in Melbourne last year.

I tried them on & they felt good.

So now I want to buy more but want to buy an Australian brand rather than take my money O/S.

How to Modibodi compare to the sizing, do they run true to size?

ETA: My Thinx are a size L.

Edited by annodam

onetrick

I find modibodi sizing quite small. I'm an 8-10 in pants but wear size 12 undies for comfort and the modibodi 12 fit like a normal 10. I've never worn a size 14 in anything but if I ordered more I'd be sizing up. I was told by others that sizing is normal though...

Veritas Vinum Arte

Thinx currently have 25% of the tweens btween range and some of the adult ones (select styles and sizes) on sale.

In the Adult Hiphugger they have the bright red reduced to $45 XXS-M and the bright blue to $37 XXS-S.

Kallie88

I got the biggest size thinx boy shorts and they're a bit too low and roll down my belly, but fit well on legs etc. I got size 22 modibodi high waist and had to swap for size 20 because it wasn't snug enough at the bottom and my trial pair leaked (i kept them for light days and swapped the others). I want to try the modibodi boy shorts next but I'm worried they won't be long enough for my tummy either

fillyjonk

Is there any reason why you would not just buy the ones rated for the heaviest flow for all stages of your period?

Also, does anyone have any experience with bonds period undies?