JomoMum

Overnight wee accidents

JomoMum
Posted (edited)

At what age would this still be considered within the range of “normal”?

DS is 6.5 and wets the bed on average once every 3-4 weeks. He comes into our room between 4-6am to let us know and then changes his pants and hops into our bed. I’m too lazy to change sheets at that point. He’s not the kind of kid that has ever otherwise come into our bed.

I’m not concerned at this stage. He’s asking though once restrictions are eased to have a sleepover with a friend or two. I know he would feel embarrassed if it happened in that situation.

At what age would you consider mentioning it at your next GP visit? He’s recently been assessed for ASD and we’ve determined to hold off on a Level 1 diagnosis for another 12+ months, but I wonder if that may be something relevant.

ETA fixed typo to indicate I am not concerned at this time **

Edited by JomoMum

winterlove

My son became dry overnight at 8 yo. Can he wear a discrete pull up for a sleepover and over night so he can sleep through?

José

Overnight accidents in boys aged 6.5 is not something to be overly concerned about.

I think it's from age 7 or if they were once dry for an extended period and then regressed that you start to become concerned.

• Like 1

BECZ
Posted (edited)

I wouldn’t find ‘once every 3-4 weeks’ a major concern, but I am far from an expert in this area.

Both of my sisters wet the bed almost every night until they were about 10-12. Something just finally clicked with them, but my poor mum had to strip beds, try and dry out mattresses daily (mattress protectors were horrible back then) while working full time.

I’d get him to try and discreetly slip on a pair of Pull-Ups or Drynites, just in case. If you know the other child’s parent well, I’d have a quiet word in their ear and ask if she can discreetly check if all is ok in the morning.

Edited by BECZ

Soontobegran

This is certainly not out of the realm of normal.

Is there anyway he'd wear overnight pull ups? He will be dry when he is ready but wearing them will deal with the wet clothes and bed and everyone will get a better sleep.

Wearing them will not set back his night time training.

• Like 3

JomoMum

Thank you everyone.

Sorry I meant to say I’m not concerned at this stage, but I know it’s worrying him. He gets a bit upset when it happens.

I think he would be ok with this - and if he chooses not to I guess that may a bit of intrinsic motivation for him if he’d prefer not to?

• Like 1

Lady Monteagle

Motivation is not the issue. Well, of course it could be for your son, if he's waking up but just deciding to let go in bed, but that's less likely. When it's a physiological issue, then all the motivation in the world won't fix it. DS10 over here is only just starting to 'dry up' at night. He still produces SO MUCH urine while sleeping, and still sleeps so soundly, and trust me he is SO SO SO motivated to change both those things, but he can't, he just has to wait for his body to make those changes. An alarm is helping with the waking-up bit, but it will always be tricky with the urine production overnight just going gangbusters still.

Anyway, re sleepover, a Drynite is our solution, for camps etc.

IamtheMumma

If he's ok with a pullup, I'd put him back into them and wait until summer or you get dry pullups. 3-4 times a week is a lot of accidents for his psyche.

MadMarchMasterchef

There is a medication you can get that will stop them wetting overnight for 1-2 nights if required for sleepovers. Its a nasal spray.

Crombek
Posted (edited)

Agree with going back to pull ups. DS8.5 still wears them, as he produces huge amounts of urine overnight, and semi regularly floods them. We trialled an alarm when he was 6.5 but he found it distressing so we stopped.

Edited by Crombek

rainycat

If he's ok with a pullup, I'd put him back into them and wait until summer or you get dry pullups. 3-4 times a week is a lot of accidents for his psyche.

The OP said once every 3-4weeks not 3-4 times a week.

It sounds pretty normal and I would give him in a pull up and plastic bag he can use at a sleep over.

• Like 1

IamtheMumma

Oops my mistake.

• Like 1

EsmeLennox

I’d not worry about that frequency. I’ve had three boys. One did not become completely dry at night until he was nearly 13 (and yes, we did seek treatment/help), another stopped wearing a night nappy at about 4 and never had a single wet bed, the other was more like your son. Occasional accidents until about 7-8.

• Like 1

BusbyWilkes

It’s definitely within the realms of what’s considered “normal” development. The weather’s also getting colder, has a new baby in the house - I wouldn’t stress/encourage him not to, when he’s at home. I would look at pull-ups for a sleepover, but not to use regularly at home (if he is only wetting once every 3-4 weeks). Do have a practice run at using a pull-up at home, so he knows what it will feel like/what to do with it in the morning etc when he’s on the sleepover.

AllyK81

My DS is 6.5 and still in a night nappy. No chance of being dry overnight. On the odd occasion he forgets to put it on he is soaked through and it doesn't rouse him overnight.

So OP I'd be quite happy with one accident a month like your DS. Totally normal as is his angst about it. I second a discrete pull up if he is worried.

JomoMum

Thanks so much all. I think he’d definitely be ok with a pull up at a sleep over if it was worrying him. He’s old enough that he could be discreet about it.

I’m pretty sure it’s waking him, because he’ll come get us straight away (normally between 1-5am), and sometimes it’s only a small amount of wee, as though its started but then he’s stopped and gone to the toilet.

mum2jp

All kids are different. My 9 year old wasn't dry through the night consistently around 8 and still very occasionally wets. My 4 year old toliet trained around 3 and has never wet the bed yet, she just seemed to day and night train all at once.

We managed with the dry nights pullups until he asked to not wear then and then brolley sheets (which are awesome) so it was easy just to strip this and change pjs.

I think I did ask the gp around 7 as he was wet most nights and she said it can take some kids longer and they usually don't worry until after 8.

• Like 1

Chaotic Pogo

For anyone reading along, a trick I learned with my high frequency accident kids is to layer a mattress protector, sheet, mattress protector, sheet and sometimes then a disposable protector mat and another sheet (depending on which kid and age we were at).

In the middle of the night instead of digging around for a clean sheet etc, you just stripped a layer, changed the kid, and back to bed in a minute.