LouLou86

Preschool decision - Starting school not knowing anyone?

LouLou86

Hi,

Hoping to hear some thoughts from other mums on below!

I have an 18month old and a 3 year old. We recently moved to another area and are currently renting with the intention of renovating a house we own about 20minutes away. We enrolled the kids in a centre near the new house as the plan was to start renovating in June and move in at the end of the year (wishful thinking maybe?), so we wanted to just get them settled there rather than swapping again. The centre is close to the public school we are zoned for which the children will go to. The kids went for 2 weeks, we were fairly happy although I felt it was maybe a bit big for my kids who were used to go to a small occasional care and although everyone was lovely a 20/24 place babies room isn’t ideal for a little one!

I am casual teaching so am flexible on work however I have started picking up work at a regular school down the road from where we are renting.

My question is - would you a) Keep the kids at the other centre although it is a 15-20 min drive (15 from work) so that the eldest would go off the kindergarten with all of the others and we wouldn’t have to change #2 again OR b) move them somewhere close to where we are renting, although this will mean eldest likely won’t know anyone starting school (she can be quite shy at times) and then move our 2nd to start in the 3-5 yrs room over that way at the same times.

(I might add I am a teacher and I am still really overthinking these things as it’s my own children haha)

Thanks in advance!

laridae

I would make life easy for myself and not add the extra drive that is unnecessary. Lots of kids start school not knowing anyone so that's not really an issue.

• Like 9

literally nobody

honestly kids make new friends in 5 minutes.

• Like 4

smilinggirl

We moved during the kinder years and choose to keep our daughter at that kinder 20 mins from our new house. So she went to school not knowing anyone. Shy child but she made friends in the second week that she still has 3 years later. Once they have one friend they seem to make them easier. Plus you can tell the teacher and she will help too

Kiwi Bicycle

Plenty of peolle do daycare near their work or a limited to finding a spot not nearby the local school.

Schools do transition sessions the year before kids start so they get to know the school, teachers and other kids. They make friends very quickly at that age.

• Like 1

dadwasathome

DS17 attended childcare in the city. One of his childcare/pre-school friends started school two suburbs away There were a couple fo kids that he broadly knew fomr mothers group, but he mostly made friends with others.

DS12 knew two kids from childcare (which was 4 blocks from the primary school) plus two younger siblings of Ds17's classmates. He mostly made new friends.

I'd be making my life easiest

Smoo

DS went to a LDC approx 100m from his primary school - no one else from his year went to the same school and he was fine. I wouldn't go to a lot of trouble about the location.

BeAwesome

My children went to a Kindergarten closer to DHs work, and started primary school not knowing anyone.

FWIW my eldest will be starting at a different highschool to everyone she knows as well.

Toby123

I had similar situation and chose A. It’s a 10-15 min drive but not a big deal. Wanted it to make it easier for my kids where I can.

We still haven’t moved 6 months later yet but no regrets.

GingerbreadWoman

Last year we went to a birthday party for one of my child’s daycare friends. Chatting to the other parents about school plans, every child (except for a set of twins :)) out of the 10 or so kids there was going to a different school... so being at a childcare close to a school does not guarantee they will know anyone in their FYOS.

If childcare closer to home would make things easier for you and for the kids I would strongly consider it.

Veritas Vinum Arte
Posted (edited)

My eldest 2 didn’t have anyone from their kinder go to their school and DD only had one person from kinder go to her school - a boy she really disliked.

ETA: my kids each changed schools in grade 3 (to a up to year 12 one). DS1 made 3 best friends in 3rd grade who are still his best friends in grade 9. None of my kids have kept their kindergarten friends beyond kindergarten.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte

hills mum bec

Well I don’t think a 10-15 minute drive is a huge deal but I also think that kids will make friends when they start school and not knowing anybody is fine.

We moved house just as DD1 started school so she knew absolutely nobody at her new school and she settled fine. When DD2 started preschool she went to one a bit further away because they had a day care on site and I worked full time. When she started school she only knew one other girl in her class and all the rest of the students had gone to the local preschool together. Again, she was fine and settled in great.

Lou-bags

I would make life easy for myself and not add the extra drive that is unnecessary. Lots of kids start school not knowing anyone so that's not really an issue.

honestly kids make new friends in 5 minutes.

These ^^^

My DS1 started 4yo kindy (year before first compulsory school year in WA) knowing no one, as we'd moved 20 odd minutes from his old daycare (kept him at the daycare for the days I need him cared that weren't his school days).

Then, at the end of kindy, we moved again so he and DS2 had to start at a new daycare mid January, knowing no one. And DS1 started pre-primary (FYOS) at a new school again knowing no one.

He was the only new kid in a class of 20 something kids that had just finished kindy together the year before.

It was fine. He had new buddies by the end of the first day.

Fluffy Potatoes

I would do what is convenient for the family now. Like pp have said there is no guarantee any of kids attending while go to school. People’s circumstances change.

Ds1 is in year 2 and on his second primary school and we’re considering changing him again as we’re not happy with the current school. We move frequently for dh’s work (interstate 4 times in last 5yrs). It’s not perfect , but kids adapt.

LouLou86

Haha thanks mums...I think I knew the answer and just needed confirmation...so easy to overthink things when it’s what’s best for your little ones! X