Veritas Vinum Arte

Herbst expansion plate experiences

Veritas Vinum Arte

Hi All,

DS2 is due to get a Herbst expansion plate. I believe I will have to turn his every 2nd day.

So my questions are:

How painful was it after initial instalment?

How long did it take for pain to subside and eat normally?

How painful were turning days? I have had braces myself and remember the first day or two after adjusting were sore.

How long did it take to get used to the expansion pkate and arms?

Any other tips or info?

Thanks. I think it will be done end of June so just want to have knowledge to help DS2. DS1 was lucky abd didn’t need any orthodontist work.

xxyzed

My son had this. He complained a lot when he got it on and took Panadol for a few days. Turning days were no pain. Adjustments at the orthodontist caused more complaining and more Panadol. Each time it would be a few days of complaints and then he would be fine.

He has sensory issues and took to it a lot better than I expected. I had trouble with the turning and we had to go back to the orthodontist for further instruction. He had braces after the plate and broke them all the time and again complained constantly after each adjustment for a few days. We spent a lot of time at the orthodontist these last few years. My son was THAT patient.

I had braces and remember it as being horrendous. My son doesn’t have those same memories

Julie3Girls

My girls had the expander plate put in the same time as the braces, so not sure about pain levels with just the plate.

Pain wise .. the first week was hard.

The plate was an big adjustment simply due to it being there on the roof of the mouth. Speech was off for a few days. Some foods can be a nuisance as it gets caught above the plate.

Adjustments - we were on three times a week - mon, wed and Friday. The first couple caused some general aching pain, took some nurofen or Panadol to help.

But after the first few, my girls never minded the turning - felt tight for a bit then fine.

Both my girls dealt with the plate much better than I thought, adjusted to it pretty quickly.

SeaPrincess
Posted (edited)

2 of my children had them at the same time. I think we were doing quarter turns twice a day to start with, then once a day, and then less frequently. I don’t remember it being much of an issue. One of them may not need braces, but we’re waiting on teeth to grow in.

Edited by SeaPrincess

Veritas Vinum Arte

Thanks for the feedback. It has been a relief reading your tales. Fingers crossed for DS2 that it goes well next month.

• Like 1

EPZ

I’ve had expander and my son and daughter had them too.

We had no pain, apart from having it fitted, tight to get on, no pain at all. Lisp a lot at the start and lots of saliva at the start!