Getting tested for covid

Covid testing   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Would you get tested for mildest symptoms

• Yes
    • No
    • Circumstances make it too difficult

lozoodle

Yep, now that its so easily available I definitely would. I can understand it being difficult for some though with their work to have to isolate etc til results come. But I can work from home so its not a problem.

JRA

I am missing something completely, why in the hell wouldn't you?

• Like 5

Lunafreya

Because it’s unpleasant. They call it the brain scrape for a reason.

I’ve been tested and I going to do my darndest to make sure it doesn’t have to happen again.

• Like 4

JRA

There are lots of things that are unpleasant, that is not a good enough reason to risk families, friends and society.

It is just pretty pathetic for people to say "oh its unpleasant I don't want to do it".

Having people around you dying is unpleasant as well

• Like 20

GreenEgg
Posted (edited)

I had a sore throat, have a history of issues so generally I would just soldier on but given the current climate work asked me to get tested and I’m completely fine with that. Looking forward to getting the results so I can return to work, go for a walk etc.

ETA the test isn’t pleasant but over in less than a minute and I’d rather know for sure that I don’t have Covid and am not spreading it.

Edited by GreenEgg
  • Like 2

Lunafreya

There are lots of things that are unpleasant, that is not a good enough reason to risk families, friends and society.

It is just pretty pathetic for people to say "oh its unpleasant I don't want to do it".

Having people around you dying is unpleasant as well

Oh I agree. I hated my Covid test but still had it, in both nostrils. And if I have to have it again I would without hesitation.

I’ve actually told people on FB it’s unpleasant and to avoid having the test you should stay home!

• Like 2

Melbs2010

I had the test the couple of weeks ago because while I had mild symptoms and was pretty confident it was just a cold I was being extra cautious because I'd had an in person medical consult the day before onset of symptoms. I felt I had a duty to be 100% sure for the sake of the health professional and anyone they would subsequently be in contact with. It was negative as I'd expected.

Yes it's unpleasant but I would get it done again for mild symptoms because we need as many people getting tested as possible and not just deciding for themselves whether they are a risk. The self-isolation while awaiting results is inconvenient but then so is absolutely everything about this pandemic!

That article is concerning. It also makes me wonder how representative the recent testing data is. I suspect most of the people who've been proactive in getting tested are also more likely to be following social distancing guidelines out of conscientiousness.

#notallcats

Wow super disappointing people with fevers and coughs didn't get tested.... I could understand if you just had a mild cold but no excuse you have the full on symptoms.

It would be great to see more drive through testing. I can understand being sick and not wanting to go to a clinic. I saw some states are doing drive through flu vax for seniors, so they don't even need to get out of their cars, which is great idea.

• Like 1

Mrs Claus

I’ve commented in the Covid thread but the doctor told my 13 year old he had to have the test and when we went to get tested (I offered to have it done too as I in retail and still working) but were turned away. Apparently the criteria has changed and only those very sick or with two or more symptoms who work in health care could be tested. While we were there they turned away an 80 year old man with a chest infection who had also been sent down by his doctor.

Baily

My thoughts exactly!

can'tstayaway

I would, but I’ve had no symptoms so haven’t qualified for testing. Even after returning from the US (subsequently discovering, from places with confirmed Covid) in late January.

I am not at risk of losing income, risking my employment or have to worry about feeding my kids though.

I spent time in March with people who had returned from a North American ski trip and ended up with the “worst flu they’ve ever had, a chest thing they just can’t shake and an ongoing cough”. They didn’t qualify for testing at that point either and had been mingling in the community.

Squeekums The Elf

Nope

I have medical fears so wont choose to go for a tiny maybe. Id have to be damn sure its possible, aka contact with confirmed case or area of a cluster.

Im in an area with no cases so no reason to suspect id have caught it.

Every winter for my whole life, as soon as temps go below 25 my nose is drippy, i cough in cold air. If i went on that basis, id be tested daily and our closest testing station is an hour away, i dont drive.

can'tstayaway

That article is concerning. It also makes me wonder how representative the recent testing data is. I suspect most of the people who've been proactive in getting tested are also more likely to be following social distancing guidelines out of conscientiousness.

Exactly. Having people volunteer for testing compared to having a more scientific approach to testing for community spread, skews the results.

#notallcats

I’ve commented in the Covid thread but the doctor told my 13 year old he had to have the test and when we went to get tested (I offered to have it done too as I in retail and still working) but were turned away. Apparently the criteria has changed and only those very sick or with two or more symptoms who work in health care could be tested. While we were there they turned away an 80 year old man with a chest infection who had also been sent down by his doctor.

Wow that's really bad and disappointing, especially the 80 yr being in the vulnerable group. I thought all states were testing for even mild symptoms.

• Like 1

Lunafreya

I actually don’t drive. I wonder how best I would get to a place to be tested. My test was done in hospital and everyone around me was protected just in case. Might have to fork out for a a cab and take precautions.

NastyGal

Yep, I've made an appointment this morning for a test because of mild cold symptoms - tickly throat, mild headache. I'm not looking forward to the test but I figure it's the responsible thing to do.

I live in regional Vic and when I booked the nurse told me they're testing basically everybody, even without symptoms, so I'm really surprised by the response you received Mrs Claus.

• Like 4

laridae

Because a slightly snotty nose counts as flu like symptoms and that can be due to cold weather? Or actually, they've had a minor cough for a couple of months following a cold they in January? Or they have a slight sore throat which has lasted for ages but get really bad reflux so is far more likely to be that?

The flu tracking website asks for these symptoms, but sometimes people always have these symptoms. And they know its highly unlikely to be covid because they've not been anywhere and it's not a new symptom.

• Like 1

Baily

Wow super disappointing people with fevers and coughs didn't get tested.... I could understand if you just had a mild cold but no excuse you have the full on symptoms.

It would be great to see more drive through testing. I can understand being sick and not wanting to go to a clinic. I saw some states are doing drive through flu vax for seniors, so they don't even need to get out of their cars, which is great idea.

Would also love to see more drive threw testing.

red_squirrel

No I wouldn’t because there is zero chance I have it.

However if I go and get tested I might pick it up during the process.

Baily

Wow, that’s really disappointing. What state are you in?

just roses

I have been tested and I would get tested again if I had any symptoms. I would also isolate myself in the meantime. But I acknowledge my privilege in being able to work from home.

FeralRebelWClaws

I guess it would depend on my symptoms. I get asthma and blocked sinus. So a blocked nose or cough, no probably not, especially as it's turned cold so I am coughing when I am out in the cold.

But if I had a fever I probably would, mostly because I work with people with chronic conditions and my Mum lives with us. Though DH would not be happy if he had to isolate while waiting for the results. It wouldn't make much difference to me because we won't be allowed at work if we are unwell anyway.

Currently there are no cases in the ACT though, so the chances that I had it atm are very low. But if there were confirmed cases around then I would be more likely to get tested.

MadMarchMasterchef

I have allergies so for sneezing / runny nose I wouldn't get tested, but for throat issues, fever etc I definitely would.

If my whole family had to isolate for 2 weeks waiting for results yes that would be a major pain with DH having to work and kids having to learn all from home but of course we would do it.

• Like 1

born.a.girl

Victoria is doing truckloads of targeted testing of people with no symptoms. If you're not part of a group they're testing, you probably won't hear about it.

Brett Sutton has talked about it at a few news conferences so I have no doubt it's happening.

• Like 2