Sign in to follow this  
South Coast

Tic in 7 YO

South Coast

Hi, just hoping to get some advice with this..

DS has developed a tic, I am pretty sure it might be stress related as it started around the time all this Covid thing heated up and I started having to work from home and he was off school.

He's changed his breathing, takes very short puffy breaths then makes a grunt when he exhales. He is also adjusting his neck. The breathing thing is all day and nearly constant, while the neck is later in the day when he is getting tired.

So, where to from here? Do we just ignore it it hope it settles when we get back to a routine or see our GP?? I don't want to make too much of a big deal of it but I am concerned.

AJPM
Posted (edited)

I contributed to a thread about this last year with my 5 year old. We saw the GP and he reassured us it is quite normal in young kids and it will most likely go away on its own. He referred us to a pediatrician to make sure there was nothing physical going on, and the paed said the same thing. Sure enough, 6 months later, all gone. He is quite an anxious kid, a bit of a perfectionist and stress most likely played a part.

ETA: http://m.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/index.php?/topic/1204106-transient-tic-throat-clearing-8-year-old/

Edited by AJPM
  • Like 1

Popper

Hi OP. My son 8yo has just been diagnosed by a paediatrician with transient tic disorder.

We probably didn't need to bother with seeing the paediatrician but wanted to make sure it wasn't anything more serious. We have been advised to ignore it. We were told 10% of kids in the age group 7-9 develop tics which change, wax and wane and disappear by teen years.

It was great piece of mind to have it checked out though. Good luck.

Percival

My son has a transient tic. It’s so upsetting to see. Whenever it appears we work hard(er) to make sure he feels loved and supported. We also work closely with his teachers and counsellor to identify triggers. It’s usually change related.