Riotproof

Babysitters club tv show Netflix

lazycritter
On 14/05/2020 at 3:17 PM, Lime-Polka-Dot said:

That was Claudia. Dawn was originally blonde haired and blue eyed.

Ah yes,  sorry missed this.  Got the names and person confused.  Was it Dawn that was the health nut? Or her parents wouldn't let her eat sugar? 

lazycritter
On 14/05/2020 at 3:16 PM, ~Jolly_F~ said:

Do you mean Claudia?

Dawn had the Californian surfer chick vibe and she was super healthy...

Yes I meant Claudia,  sorry.  Only just found these replies. 

Dawn was the super healthy one. 

Was there a diabetic character?  Or a sister to one of the girls that was diabetic? 

vanilla_bear

I was a very devoted fan of these books, and still have a huge soft spot for them. I never really liked the shows or movie though.  I was scared to watch the Netflix version because I so didn't want to be disappointed.

I watched them all... I loved it. Kristy is a modern feminist and perfectly cast. Claudia is sweet, very cool (her Halloween costume in episode 2 was brilliant for any fan of Schitt's Creek) and well cast. And Karen is absolutely hilarious. The relationship between Kristy and her mother is beautiful to watch. The unfolding relationship between Sharon and Richard is fab. The soundtrack is good (Lizzo in episode 1 in particular).

Their adaptations still felt true to the characters (Mary Anne loves musical theatre, Stacey has an insulin pump now, Dawn's Dad has a whole new reason for getting divorced and Kristy is working through issues with her father leaving). And I felt the tempo matched the timeline of the books nicely.

Lots of laugh out loud moments and moments where I felt weepy with nostalgia. They did us die-hard BSC fans proud.

• Like 2

Lunafreya
23 minutes ago, lazycritter said:

Was there a diabetic character?  Or a sister to one of the girls that was diabetic? 

Stacey is the diabetic

• Like 1

Silverstreak

Never read the books but I loved the original Degrassi Junior High / Degrassi High, so might check it out, although this sounds more wholesome, lol, not so much after school special!

Riotproof
1 hour ago, lazycritter said:

Stacey is diabetic. 

• Like 1

Riotproof
6 minutes ago, Silverstreak said:

Never read the books but I loved the original Degrassi Junior High / Degrassi High, so might check it out, although this sounds more wholesome, lol, not so much after school special!

Yeah it’s not quite degrassi. 

The target audience is 9-11 year old girls. 

Silverstreak

Oh well, I was one of those once!

• Like 1

Riotproof
1 minute ago, Silverstreak said:

Oh well, I was one of those once!

Yep. The target for the tv show is also 40ish mothers. Lol. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

JustCurious100
17 hours ago, vanilla_bear said:

I was a very devoted fan of these books, and still have a huge soft spot for them. I never really liked the shows or movie though.  I was scared to watch the Netflix version because I so didn't want to be disappointed.

I watched them all... I loved it. Kristy is a modern feminist and perfectly cast. Claudia is sweet, very cool (her Halloween costume in episode 2 was brilliant for any fan of Schitt's Creek) and well cast. And Karen is absolutely hilarious. The relationship between Kristy and her mother is beautiful to watch. The unfolding relationship between Sharon and Richard is fab. The soundtrack is good (Lizzo in episode 1 in particular).

Their adaptations still felt true to the characters (Mary Anne loves musical theatre, Stacey has an insulin pump now, Dawn's Dad has a whole new reason for getting divorced and Kristy is working through issues with her father leaving). And I felt the tempo matched the timeline of the books nicely.

Lots of laugh out loud moments and moments where I felt weepy with nostalgia. They did us die-hard BSC fans proud.

This. Every single word. 

blackcat20
5 hours ago, Riotproof said:

Yep. The target for the tv show is also 40ish mothers. Lol. 

And 30s! :laugh:

I'm half way and really enjoying it. Loved the books ( I still have them) and can't wait for my daughter to be old enough to read them.

• Like 1

sahmie

My girls (8 and 10) and I just binged on it yesterday - we didn’t mean to watch it all, but they loved it. The 8yo wasn’t interested at all, but we started with a bowl of popcorn that kept her on the couch, and by the end she was devastated there weren’t any more episodes!

My 10yo has read my “little sisters” collection, and will start on the BSC soon, so she was thrilled too. 

I loved the little references they included for us oldies - the remark from Alicia Silverstone being “not so clueless after all” had me in stitches. My girls didn’t get that one, but I thought it was so clever. The audience from the BSC readers would have been the same audience of Clueless. 

I loved how they seamlessly wove in the changes in technology and social media without it changing the original feel (the “old fashioned“ phone from Etsy etc)

Everyone here hoping for more seasons. 

• Like 3

Riotproof

Pp, I think there was a series in 1995 as well, that your girls might like. It might be on YouTube. It’s such a fun concept, I will be thrilled of dd wants to read them when she gets a bit bigger. 

MadMarchMasterchef
On 03/07/2020 at 4:58 PM, seayork2002 said:

This is what I think, my friend and I were so obsessed with books we started our own real one, we made a bit!

But I can't bring myself to watch it

We used to write our own babysitters club books.  And make up plays.  Everyone wanted to be Claudia! 

• Like 1