JomoMum

Lego building as an adult

JomoMum

Does anyone enjoy doing this as a hobby?

Our 6yo DS has always been a fan, but it’s been lovely to sit and watch LegoMasters as a family. We’ve purchased a few large builds and put together as a family, but I think I’d like to take one on myself.

I am busting to get the Disney Lego Castle .. are there ways to approach huge builds like this? Where do you build them? And on what?

It would be a huge financial investment, along with my time, so I want to make sure I’m prepared! :)

sahmie

I just build on my dining room table - with a small box of spare lego set aside for the toddler who always wants to join in!!

I use some old segmented Tupperware TV trays to sort the lego. They stack, so it’s a quick pack up in between building.

Lunafreya

Get a tray with high sides. I’ve found that’s best.

Kiwi Bicycle

For really great, honest reviews on Lego sets check out Jangbricks on Youtube.

I fell down th hat rabbithole researching what sets to buy DS 2 years ago... I now watch quite a few Lego review channels.

• Like 1

jayskette
Posted (edited)

of course! lego is for everyone! a 100 year old grandma complained to Lego HQ because the general sets are for 4-99. so the new ones are 4-104+. lol

Edited by jayskette
  • Like 8

foom

I enjoy it enough that I joined an AFOL club and try to display at least once a year.

When I build a modular, I build it on a large tray on the dining room table. The building bits are sorted into old takeaway / supermarket salad tubs that can be stacked when not in use.

Smaller projects I do on the coffee table.

More long term storage goes into Ikea Trofast systems and large storage tubs. I have seen the Sistema tubs in various sizes working well as they are designed to stack well.

If you like Christmas decorating, look at the special Christmas series with the train, train station etc

RocktonResident

I've been wanting the Lego Disney castle for years. What I do is plan a bag a night. I used the lid of plastic storage tubs to set the pieces out on and have a large shelf where I can put the progress each night.

At the moment I'm working through breaking up sets to bag and put away. They're just getting dusty on display, so I figure dismantle and I can rebuild in the future.

MadMarchMasterchef

of course! lego is for everyone! a 100 year old grandma complained to Lego HQ because the general sets are for 4-99. so the new ones are 4-104+. lol

Thats so cute :wub:

Crazyone26989

Now I desperately want the LEGO Disney castle! Sounds fun!

Moo point

I bought DS (7yo) the Frozen Ice Castle for Christmas a couple of years ago. Even now he still struggles with putting together little pieces and the attention span, so I build it and he plays with it. I secretly bought it for me hoping that I could build it sometime :) I had Lego as a kid - a large yellow castle complete with a moving drawbridge and turrets; and my brother had a city police station and a space ship. We also had a little house each.

I've often drooled over the larger expert sets, and for Christmas last year DH bought me the Parisien Restaurant - 2469 pieces! I haven't had that much time during this social distancing time but I started it last weekend, took me over an hour just to complete the first 6 pages - there are 3 huge books and 18 bags of pieces! So much fun to do.

Veritas Vinum Arte
Posted (edited)

I got Parisien Restaurant for my birthday a few years ago. Loved putting it together.

DD and I shared the Medieval village (Castle series) earlier this week. I did one building while she did the other.

I sit at a table to build- usually take one end if the dining table. I build very quickly though. I find building zen like for me.

So for me the modular creator expert city buildings like The restaurant are fun. I have Assembly Square hidden from DH (I am on a Lego buying ban). I want the Bookshop next. I am sad I didn’t get the Town Hall set and Bank years ago.

DS2 likes the mini architecture ones. He did Big Ben and Parliament very quickly.

We also have all the Christmas Lego Winter Village Sets too. We each rebuild the sets every year and rotate who builds what sets.

ETA: DD and I did 1,600 pieces which didn’t have the bags divided into 1,2,3 etc so we just sorted all the lego into colour and type before we started to build. DD complained that was not a fun hour sorting the Lego first but it made building time much faster.

Unfortunately my kids take after me with very good visual spacial skills (ie. tested top 0.2% of population). The boys by 5 were building 16+ lego by themselves, so no need for me joining to help.

DD and I are in the process of setting up a big Castle/Kingdoms land from our sets at home. I am auditing the missing pieces.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte

Babetty

What do you do with it when you've built it? There's some shops / restaurants I'd love to build (sorry I can't remember the name) but I don't know what I'd do with it when it's done. Pull it all apart and build it again later?

DS has the police station and a lot of other Lego on two shelves in his room. It collects so much dust, he doesn't play with it and he won't let me break it up. Drives me bonkers.

Veritas Vinum Arte

My Paris Restaurant we displayed for a few months and then I carefully pulled apart and put away to rebuild sometime in the future.

We have 9/10? Winter Village sets that we build each December and make a lovely big Christmas scene (so much so kids are more focused on Lego than Christmas tree) and then take apart early January.

So sets are displayed/played with for awhile then taken apart to be rebuilt later.

As mentioned above DD and I are going through our old Castle/Kingdoms sets at present. We will get them all built, kids will play with the sets for awhile, then we painstakingly take apart and store each set seperately to be used in the future.

We also have City (Airport, Planes, Bank, Museum etc), Ninjago, Star Wars, Friends, Aliens etc so have always rotated through themes.

3babygirls

We have a couple of decent sized sets that hubby and I put together. DD 3 helped with a few bits and pieces of it.

It was really fun and we got slightly competitive with it. I'm actually thinking about buying the massive millenium falcon for him for his birthday...

We have a few high up shelves and bookcases that we display on

DM. 2012

Open the numbers bags as the book says to rather than open all of the bags at once. I find the bits for each step as a I get to each step then complete the step. Until he gets bored with it, I get my son to find the bits and do some of the steps. He likes to build the people too.

I have a couple of high up shelves that I put mine on plus a cabinet with glass sides and drone.

BeAwesome

I've been slowly building the Stranger Things set.

• Like 1

sahmie

We have most of the winter village too, which gets pulled out on December 1, and built alongside a new set that arrives (as if by magic ;)) on the same day. My kids usually build the new arrival, and leave the rest for me to put together.

It all gets pulled apart in January.

Mostly I build, leave set up for a few weeks, for the kids to play with, then pull it apart for next time.

I’ve just in the last week completed the old fishing store for the third time, and 4 of my mini figs are missing. I will tackle the tree house next and cross fingers they’re in that set as I think I remember it sitting side by side with the fishing shop last time they were completed, so I’m praying one of the kids moved the mini figs between sets.

I’m so sad there’s nothing available (of interest) in the lego shop at the moment. I too want the book shop, and also pirates of barracuda bay (Because I think that would look cool in a scene with the fishing store).

Veritas Vinum Arte

The Old Fishing store is also one of my dreams. DH doesn’t get my Lego obsession. Our tooth fairy brings mini figures.

Being on a Lego buying ban is very hard :(

As I said since 5yo my kids have been able to individually build the Winter Lego Christmas sets.

JomoMum

Wow!! This is so awesome

I’m going to do some research into some of the favourite sets you’ve all mentioned - I obviously need to familiarise myself with some classics.

Please everyone keep chatting about it all!

spr_maiden
Posted (edited)

I really would like the tree, and Parisian restaurant, and some winter/xmas theme sets.

Ed. Oh, and the bookshop!

Edited by spr_maiden

Veritas Vinum Arte

Just note with some of the old sets, people are putting very high prices on them as they are hard to find.

My Medieval Village I finally built has price tags online of $500-$1,000 these days. I purchased mine for about $150 many years ago.

Kiwi Bicycle

I am hoping to buy The Mandolorian Razorcrest when it comes out...

Chicken Penang

I buy the winter village set every year. I usually add to it with another creation. I love it but it needs a fair bit of space to display. The kids add their own creations and play with it during the Christmas holidays. It is then stored in the attic until next Christmas. It is not a cheap hobby. Purchasing individual bricks adds up quickly.

Caitlin Happymeal

My favorite builds so far have been my mini Cooper and BB8. I also have fun with the architecture series,fallingwater and the imperial hotel are beautiful sets.

I build them in a matter of hours usually, but would love a really massive one, like the death star or some of those beautiful modular expert shops/restraunts.

I display mine in my glass cabinet. The kids build their sets then trash them and add them to our ridiculous collection of peices which are stored in a play pouch, then they just do creative builds whenever they feel like it.

I really should do my own build one day, but I'm just not creative enough lol. I love instructions and sticking to the procedure. Sounds like my work life too!

Veritas Vinum Arte

I find the instruction procedure zen like therapy, very calming.

• Like 2